The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves update plan???? Plugin Bundles
Old 17th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Waves update plan????

So today I got an email from Waves string that I had two weeks to update my plug ins... SO I click the renew button and then it instructs me to play $397 to update my plug ins...

Now does anyone know why waves charges us to update the plug ins?
Every plug in I have from other companies give free updates. Why is Waves charging me and if I don't update does that mean my plugins will no longer work?
Old 17th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgod View Post
Every plug in I have from other companies give free updates. Why is Waves charging me and if I don't update does that mean my plugins will no longer work?
There are loads of threads about WUP if you do a search.

But in summary - your Waves plugs will not stop working. They will just be stuck at the current version (9.2.0 I think). If these versions work for you, you have no reason to worry.

You pay WUP fees to access updates and you can renew your WUP subscription at any time. So if one day something changes or breaks (you get a new computer, update your OS or DAW), you can pay WUP to get the latest versions.

The other potential pitfall is if they update to v10 of their plugins and you buy any new ones - then you might run into problems if you accidently install v10 versions of their older plugins and don't have WUP.

I have Waves plugs that I bought in 2011 that still work fine and I have been able to keep up to date. I have never paid for WUP.

It's (deliberately?) confusing, but the conclusion is - don't pay for WUP until something goes wrong.
Old 17th November 2016
Gear Maniac

I agree with the above. I haven't updated since 2012 and everything works just fine. Will get the WUP one of these weeks though, lots of new plugins have been added to my bundle and it's a good deal since I'll get these new plugins + the update at $ 300. So they charge us for the update, but on the other hand if you have a decent bundle, you always get new plugins.
Old 17th November 2016
Gear Addict
WUP is capped at $300.00 but I think most people overlook to check off the 'one machine at a time' option.

Plus you can purchase it at a few online webshops for less than what it costs through Waves main site.
Old 19th November 2016
Gear Addict

I feel it's a fair price. I have the Mercury bundle, and getting all the new plugs in the course of the year is great. I also feel their support is top notch. Try calling Izotope or McDsp or Avid on a Saturday and let me know how that goes.
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
Plus you can purchase it at a few online webshops for less than what it costs through Waves main site.
Which webshops would you suggest?
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Maniac

There are literally hundreds of threads about this exact topic
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Nut

In the past, I have seen WUP Update Specials from waves. Can't remember what month it was this past year, but one month I received an email to purchase the update for a reduced rate. I believe it was $249.00, or there about. Maybe hold out for that to come back around.
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Nut

I had some waves for years now and never paid wup, will only do it if they update to version 10
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaekae View Post
I had some waves for years now and never paid wup, will only do it if they update to version 10
Same. Not once ever paid WUP.
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Nut

And waves plugins are well coded, i started in osx mountain lion, then yosemite, then el capitan and now sierra, so 4 operating systems and never noticed any bugs, so point releases of waves are rarely needed
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
So today I got an email from Waves string that I had two weeks to update my plug ins... SO I click the renew button and then it instructs me to play $397 to update my plug ins...

There is a checkbox somewhere on the form that says something like "License for just one computer"... If you check that your WUP gets capped at around $300-320, I don't remember exactly.

I'm not sure if you've realised, but you don't need WUP to update you plugins, not unless its a very significant update, like moving to Version 10, if and when that ever happens. Even then, you can pay WUP after the fact, just like paying an upgrade for any piece of software.

Fabfilter came out with a second version of their eq and they charged over $100 I believe for existing users to update. That's just one plugin. If you elaborate on that 3 plugins at Fabfilter could cost you $300 to upgrade, the same price you would pay at Waves to update an unlimited number of their plugins.

In addition to that, if you have any bundles, you'd be entitled to any new free additions Waves have included. Mercury owners are the biggest winners here.

So when you put it in perspective, and no one ever does, its actually a hell of a bargain if you have over 3 of their moderate to expensively priced plugins.
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Actually Waves send email saying that your update plan (aka WUP) is about to expire (e. g. in two weeks) and propose to renew it. Not like you have only 2 weeks left to update That a difference, right? You don't have to renew the update plan. Waves does not charge for minor updates/bug fixes. It is your choice if you want to renew it or not.
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Addict
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search