The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on the waves abbey road vinyl plug in? Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 14th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Thoughts on the waves abbey road vinyl plug in?

I have a plug in that does adds the vinyl crackle FX and I have several tape plug ins from both Waves and UA....

Has anyone used this plug in yet what difference would it be from using a tape emulation?

I see that it has the tape stop fx so you don't have to draw it in. Thats cool and saves time on doing it manually but if thats the only feature that separates it from the tape machine then I don't think its worth $99 sale price...
Old 14th November 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgod View Post
I have a plug in that does adds the vinyl crackle FX and I have several tape plug ins from both Waves and UA....

Has anyone used this plug in yet what difference would it be from using a tape emulation?

I see that it has the tape stop fx so you don't have to draw it in. Thats cool and saves time on doing it manually but if thats the only feature that separates it from the tape machine then I don't think its worth $99 sale price...
you could try the demo .. !!!! looks interesting - i use vinyl by isotope if i need some scratch .. !!! my .02
Old 16th November 2016
Gear Maniac

I tried it against Vulf Compressor by Goodhertz (which is my favourite lofi mojo plug) and i preferred Vulf.

I dont really know which one sounds more like actual vinyl but i preferred Vulf because i felt it had more intuitive control over the end result.
Old 16th November 2016
Gear Maniac

I tried it out today, and I'm not really a fan. It feels like I'm losing depth and there's this compression. Not compression as you'd normally think, but literally: like the 'height' of the mix shrinks and feels crunched down. Ironically it makes me think of an actual vinyl disk and how thin it is. Like the track is vertically narrowed. Things are warmer and vocals are easier to hear, yes, but I think I prefer using tape plugins over this, which are a lot more open and fuller without having this feeling.
Old 16th November 2016
Lives for gear

I went ahead and bought it because I got a special $79 upgrade deal for owning the other AR plugs. I guess it's cool for adding vinyl artifacts. As far as actually enhancing a mix, it sounds like it adds a little clarity at a cost of thinning the overall sound. That was at least the case for me using TG, Lacquer, AR, and MM cartridge, with wow/flutter/noise/crackle all fully off.

The stop feature is kind of a cool effect to use once, on one song, on one record. But I was disappointed that the record only slowed down, but when started back, resumes the speed immediately.

Kind of a gimmick, but due to my OCD, and having all the other AR plugins, felt urged to buy it. If nothing else, it's probably the most detailed GUI of any plugin I've seen.
Old 16th November 2016
Lives for gear

I'm demoing it now. Not that impressed. The GUI is impressive though lol.
Old 17th November 2016
Lives for gear

Here is my take on the Waves vinyl plug aside from the "you might like it for something or other as a plug".....

The description of what "gap" this plug fills is COMPLETELY misleading imo. If one does care (and I'm not saying younger folks will understand this or care), this plug does NOT emulate a lathe cutter, nor offer methods for the operator of the plug to.. take an already-mixed-then-already-mastered mono or stereo file and ACTUALLY CUT IT FOR VINYL-IN-A-VIRTUAL-WAY-TO-GET-THE-FILE-TO-SOUND-LIKE-A-RECORD.

It doesn't do that....... and... in some of the waves promo wording, the pr says it does do that (emulating the cutters... bah.... what does that sentence mean... and in fact, the controls on the plug verify that we-ain't-quite-figured-out-how-to-emulate-cutters-but-here's-this-for-the-meantime).

I mean.... sounds like something playing back on a record player at Abbey Road....????? What does that even count towards? A switch for lacquer? Wait a minute... where are all the steps/features/controls for MAKING "that" lacquer?. Not there. The entire crux of the process of making the mothers/stampers and what have you. Not there. Why? Imo... the technology just isn't there yet.

I know I know..... it's not lathe work, but some may find a cool sound they like with the plug.

So...imo... this plug is basically another pop crackle snap with a bit of compression and other current-generation-coding-ability "stuff".

I was excited when I read the initial pr, but when digging deeper, what you have here is about what's already out there in various saturation etc plugs.

Here's something important.... VINYL CUTTING IS AS VINYL CUTTING DOES. When an actual lathe-cutting-plug is invented (I give it another six years or so), and one wants to say, emulate a very specific "1967-sound" path, there will be some required 1967-thinking required to get an end result that sounds like it's from 1967. One lathe-cutter plug won't do it. Just like one tape sim doesn't make your new cool song sound like "Badge" from 1968 no matter how many plugs you load on... and that's just one example from one teeny part of one teeny decade.

From the initial tracking decisions, to the mix, to the "specific mastering for vinyl-which-will-be-a-way-diff-approach-to-mastering-for-say-your-cd-or-holgraphic-device...... and THEN.... on to the lathe.

The lathe cutting plug. Doesn't exist yet. I thought this was what Waves was announcing. It's not. That's okay. Sitting for hours working with Bernie Grundman at an actual lathe is far more entertaining as we sculpt the perfect beast from my mind's eye.

I do look forward to plugs that address cutting. It'll be a new universe for a lot of people. Probably lots of cool presets too for those who aren't patient.

It will sure save a lot of thrown away lacquers.

But this Waves plug....... it's not it.
Old 17th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post

Which means ...imo... this plug is basically another pop crackle snap with a bit of compression and other current-generation-coding-ability "stuff".
But it has a really cool GUI!
Old 19th November 2016
Gear Maniac

I am with stupid
Old 26th November 2016
Lives for gear

I'm not 100% about it yet, still demoing, but i've had some subtle but useful results from it.

I couldn't care less about the simulated vinyl noise/crackle etc. I've got hundreds of samples recorded from real vinyl, many of which sound far more interesting to my ear and for the vibe I sometimes go for, so I generally just turn that part of the plugin off.

However, i've been taking finished tracks, (my own and other people's digital masters), and running them through this with some settings I dialed in, and I have to say I often like what it's doing, even if it is very subtle. I've found it to just add that little bit more warmth and analog vibe I so often look for as I try to 'heat up' any digital 'coldness/brittleness'.
Old 26th November 2016
Lives for gear

I wouldn't expect any more from Waves these days...
Old 26th November 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
... I have to say I often like what it's doing, even if it is very subtle. I've found it to just add that little bit more warmth and analog vibe I so often look for as I try to 'heat up' any digital 'coldness/brittleness'.
To your ears, does it do this in a way that is noticeably different from tape emulation plugins? If so, can you suggest adjectives that describe the difference?

In theory, the effect of cutting a record and playing it back should be different from the effect of recording on tape and playing it back. I'm curious whether anybody hears and can describe the difference between plugin models of the two physical processes.

I won't have time any time soon, but someday I'll download the demo and try this for myself.
Old 26th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrichard63 View Post
To your ears, does it do this in a way that is noticeably different from tape emulation plugins? If so, can you suggest adjectives that describe the difference?

In theory, the effect of cutting a record and playing it back should be different from the effect of recording on tape and playing it back. I'm curious whether anybody hears and can describe the difference between plugin models of the two physical processes.

I won't have time any time soon, but someday I'll download the demo and try this for myself.
That's a good question actually, and I'll go and test that myself before replying.

What i'm getting from the Waves Vinyl plugin is quite tapelike in nature, but that's to be expected. I'm going to go and do some ABC testing later with a couple of my favourite tape plugins and see how it stacks up. (VTM and Satin)
Old 26th November 2016
Gear Head

Not for me. Too expensive for the limited use.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

I'm also not interested in adding snap, crackle and pop but more the glue, eq and compression the plugin adds. I'm wondering though how this would sound on a master that actually ended up being pressed to vinyl? Would it perhaps be too much?
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Sitting for hours working with Bernie Grundman at an actual lathe is far more entertaining as we sculpt the perfect beast from my mind's eye.
Agreed! Bernie is the man! I have had the pleasure to work with him on occasion, and I always take notes, as his wisdom and ears and points are extremely educational, illuminating, and just make you better at understanding!
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
I'm also not interested in adding snap, crackle and pop but more the glue, eq and compression the plugin adds. I'm wondering though how this would sound on a master that actually ended up being pressed to vinyl? Would it perhaps be too much?
I was wondering the same thing but the digital world we live in it does seem to warm up a cold brittle track.
Old 12th June 2018
Lives for gear

Wow, this plug sounds great. I bought it the other day and put in on my drum buss after I had finished mixing the drums. I already had one reverb setting on all my drumhits and the mjuc compressor but I still wanted a little more glue. I'm using it pretty subtly but what a nice difference.

I'm not sure if it sounds like vinyl or not but it's definitely added that slight warm wobbly sound I like from those old records.. Great plug!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search