The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading converters - Orion vs Apollo 16 Audio Interfaces
Old 7th November 2016
Here for the gear

Upgrading converters - Orion vs Apollo 16

Hi everyone, first thread for me here

First of all, THANK YOU everybody, gearslutz is amazing.
Second of all, i'm writing to have an opinion from you guys about converters.

I'm upgrading my FF800 to something better, my studio is getting more attention and i would like to offer a nice rig to the people that come working in my place.

I mainly work with electronic music, but i work with rap and rock as well.

For the budget i had in mind, the 2 best options i was thinking about were Orion 32 and Apollo 16 (as i also have an octo DSP card).
I was leaning towards the Apollo, but speaking with a local great engineer he said to me that you can hardly find an apollo 16 in high end studios, while the orion is hot right now in the business.
Is he right? Honestly i just don't know.

If you have opinions about this, or if it's total bulls**t to you, i'd be really glad to know your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you guys again, great community.
Old 7th November 2016
Just an idea, but how about keeping the FF800 (if it's still working) and then upgrade your DA/AD converters?
Old 7th November 2016
Lives for gear

Don't have any experience with the Orion but I've read on this board that it sounds less high end than the Lynx and SSL converters that are so popular.

The thing about commercial studios is the gear, especially something so up front as converters, has to be big name gear. Even if you like the sound of Orion just as much as the sound of the Lynx/Apogee/SSL, most commercial guys I know would go for the name recognition because of snooty clients.
Old 7th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
Don't have any experience with the Orion but I've read on this board that it sounds less high end than the Lynx and SSL converters that are so popular.

The thing about commercial studios is the gear, especially something so up front as converters, has to be big name gear. Even if you like the sound of Orion just as much as the sound of the Lynx/Apogee/SSL, most commercial guys I know would go for the name recognition because of snooty clients.
Weird because most people on here say the orion is the clear favorite among midlevel converters, one guy on here has them feeding his neotek and another guy feeding his SSL.
Old 8th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
Just an idea, but how about keeping the FF800 (if it's still working) and then upgrade your DA/AD converters?
yes i'm going to keep that probably, but i'm really in doubt about the new converters. Any suggestion on that price range?
Old 8th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Weird because most people on here say the orion is the clear favorite among midlevel converters, one guy on here has them feeding his neotek and another guy feeding his SSL.
Yes that's what they said to me as well, and few people talk about the apollo on that level, or am i wrong?
Old 8th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post

Actually Lynx and Apogee are in that price range, are they better in your opinion?
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

A lot of interfaces are fairly close in that price range,I think your decision should probably be based more on what features are (or are not) important to you. For example, I wouldn't turn my nose up at Motu...the AVB is a great value and comes in several configurations...and comes from a company that doesn't historically dump support in a couple years.
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear
From what I see about Antelope's driver performance by users here on GS I wouldn't go near them with my money but I would use their converters for sure. I imagine a similar scenario in big studio's since Avid hardware is necessary going in to Pro Tools. So my vote is keep RME for the excellent drivers hooked up to Antelope converters. In fact I would take UA's drivers over Antelope by a mile as well. I'm basing all this on personal experience with RME and UA and years worth of user reports here on GS.
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloop23 View Post
Yes that's what they said to me as well, and few people talk about the apollo on that level, or am i wrong?
Apollo blacks i think. If you notice, everyones DA is in the same realm, but the AD is where competition really gets heated because its the companys best take on what they think is best.
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

Most high end studios have hardware, all sorts of hardware. Preamps, EQs, Compressors, Limiters and even Reverbs. They simply don't need the Apollos. Also, Apollos are not optimized for use with outboard hardware. That is not their strength. I suspect in a double blind test many if not most would be unable to tell the difference assuming all other factors are equal. And that is the point, nobody hires a high end studio blind. EVery high end studio nowadays has a comprehensive gear list on their website - arguably the most important part of the website along with photos of the gear the room and the instruments.

For those of us that have neither the room, the money or the need for a roomful of hardware, Apollos are a godsend. They sound great, are capable of recordings that rival rooms full of gear and don't take up much space.

When I bought my Apollo 8P it was the only game in town with the exception of the Zen which I doubt you will find in a high end studio. Now more companies are making similar products however, Universal Audio still has arguably the best plug ins. There are other high quality plug ins but the UAD and Apollo system works great.

If your plan is a high end studio and you have that kind of money, it seems the move now is the Burl. Otherwise its six of one half a dozen of the other and you get what has the functionality you need.
Old 8th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloop23 View Post
yes i'm going to keep that probably, but i'm really in doubt about the new converters. Any suggestion on that price range?
that depends on how many channels you need. but I can say that I'm working with RME UFX and have Antelope Pure2 connected through AES. For me this is the best of both worlds, as the Pure2's conversion is stellar and the UFX is rock solid.

If you need\want high end conversion you're not going to get it in the all in one packages, except for maybe Prism Orpheus and Titan. So using your FF800 with a high end converter might give you the best of both worlds.

Great converters under 3000$: Antelope Pure2, Lynx Hilo, Prism Lyra2, Mytek 192, Lavry Blue\Black
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Head
Hello people,

i would be interested to know if the Orion32 and Orion Studio have the same type of converters since i am considering a O' Studio and the Apollo8p is for me the 2nd option.
Does antelope use the same converters on all of their devices (except their "mastering grade converters")?
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
From what I see about Antelope's driver performance by users here on GS I wouldn't go near them with my money but I would use their converters for sure. I imagine a similar scenario in big studio's since Avid hardware is necessary going in to Pro Tools. So my vote is keep RME for the excellent drivers hooked up to Antelope converters. In fact I would take UA's drivers over Antelope by a mile as well. I'm basing all this on personal experience with RME and UA and years worth of user reports here on GS.
I think the driver thing is quite old. My Orion 32 has been wonderfully stable, and sounds great. Click the Pledge link in my thread to hear some examples.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head
I own a Symphony mki and an Apollo twin mkii. I've also used the Orion pretty extensively. I'd honestly say the Apollo is my favorite and the Orion is my least favorite. The Orion has a lot of high end detail compared to the Symphony but its way narrow sounding and you can really hear the lack of headroom compared to the symphony. The Symphony compared to the Apollo is really apples to oranges. I feel my mixes on the Apollo translate better then the on the symphony. The symphony again is wider and bigger sounding but the AD on the apollo is much more my style. Also I find the Apollo to be more detailed.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear
If I had the money I'd get the Black Lion Mod for the RME plus get the new Lynx converters. If I had the $$$
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Head
Did you guys check out the new Orion Studio from Antelope?
It looks like it has better converters and extended dynamic range:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EiW3MkZ-P8
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search