The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worth Upgrading a MBP mid 2012 15" or new MBP? Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 30th October 2016
Here for the gear

Worth Upgrading a MBP mid 2012 15" or new MBP?

I have a stock mid 2012 MBP. I was looking into upgrading the RAM and HD to 2 internal SSD drives removing the optical drive. I am using Logic X with an 002r and sometimes an Apogee Duet, both firewire and an external monitor.

Is a new Retina MBP going to perform that much better than this set up? What are the advantages, if any of the new MBP vs the mid non Retina Mid 2012 MBP ?

Thanks

R
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Nut

Are you otherwise happy with the 2012 MBP, and you just want to give it a performance boost? If the price is reasonable then go for it. It sounds like it should run Logic X with an 002r just fine. And there are good reasons to skip this latest generation of MBP if you can, the price/performance ratio being one of them. If you buy the new MBP then you'll need to buy adapters to connect all of your existing devices to the Thunderbolt 3 ports. The price adds up.

On the other hand, the new MBP is better in every category. Thinner, lighter, better screen, longer battery life, more computing power, etc. Do these features matter much to you? Eventually the time will come when you'll need a new computer -- is that time now or later? Judging from the general reaction I've seen to the new MBP, it makes me wonder if Apple's existence in the high-performance computing market will crash and burn as everyone switches over to Windows PCs. I guess we'll soon find out .

Last edited by andrewwj; 30th October 2016 at 08:51 PM..
Old 30th October 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply.

Even though it is a MBP. It will be staying in the studio most of the time. I was looking at the cost to upgrading the drives and memory being worth it. I agree, about the new MBP not being worth it, and I don't like the fact that I need to add additional adapters.

R
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Addict

Sounds like the same MBP as me. (in signature) I wouldn't consider upgrading for even a moment as this 'Book is just made for music production. The newest gives what kind of boost...10%? 15%? Psssht. I'll keep my 2 internal drives cheers.
Old 1st November 2016
Internal SSD makes a huge difference. I have a late 2013 MBP with 16GB RAM and an internal 1TB SSD. I still feel like it's a recent purchase. Heck, I'm still using my old late 2008 MBP for non-audio applications, and it performs fine.
Old 17th November 2016
i was waiting for the new model but the fact that the spec is hardly any higher than the first retinas, and they've taken the ports away too. and... the price has rocketed. people like me are forced to stick with the old model, untill they atleast ramp the spec to make the lack of ports a reasonable trade off. (well actually it feels unreasonable, but seeing as we're in an age where we are choosing between trumps and clintons....)
Old 13th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwj View Post
Are you otherwise happy with the 2012 MBP, and you just want to give it a performance boost? If the price is reasonable then go for it. It sounds like it should run Logic X with an 002r just fine. And there are good reasons to skip this latest generation of MBP if you can, the price/performance ratio being one of them. If you buy the new MBP then you'll need to buy adapters to connect all of your existing devices to the Thunderbolt 3 ports. The price adds up.

On the other hand, the new MBP is better in every category. Thinner, lighter, better screen, longer battery life, more computing power, etc. Do these features matter much to you? Eventually the time will come when you'll need a new computer -- is that time now or later? Judging from the general reaction I've seen to the new MBP, it makes me wonder if Apple's existence in the high-performance computing market will crash and burn as everyone switches over to Windows PCs. I guess we'll soon find out .
In light of the Hillarys vs Trumps statement above.... which Windows computers laptops even compare to the macbook pros? I'm considering doing that jump to for this exact reason stated in this entire thread, but have NO idea which windows computers would be best for a laptop rig. Any ideas what ppl are doing?

This mac issue has me distressed, to say the least.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search