The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
USB-C
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Nut

USB-C

What's the deal with USB-C and existing USB audio interfaces? Will those small adaptors offer the same bandwidth as working with a USB 3 port? Or is it better to replace old cables with USB-C cables?
Thanks.
Old 30th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
What's the deal with USB-C and existing USB audio interfaces? Will those small adaptors offer the same bandwidth as working with a USB 3 port? Or is it better to replace old cables with USB-C cables?
Thanks.
Yep, adapters doesn't restrict bandwidth in any way.
USB-C is last attempt to make one common and improved connector for all peripheral devices.. It can carry from USB 1 up to 3.1, plus there is special alternate modes, which can carry other protocols than USB. Like HDMI, TB or MHL, however this has to be supported by particular computer of course.
It's also higher current ratings for powered devices.

AFAIK.. adapter for USB-C to legacy USB is passive device, whereas full-featured USB-C to USB-C is an active device with chip inside.

Michal
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Maniac

If I may add a question?

Will all manufacturers add thunderbolt capabilities to USB C as Apple have done, in other words are the two combined without question?
Old 30th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonklives View Post
If I may add a question?

Will all manufacturers add thunderbolt capabilities to USB C as Apple have done, in other words are the two combined without question?
No, USB-C presence at the computer, doesn't necessarily imply Thunderbolt, HDMI or MHL support.
As I've said, these alternate modes are kind of extension, which vendor can or can't use, so you have to carefuly read the specs.
If we're talking about computers and Thunderbolt, then they has to also include compatible CPU, chipset and proceed the respective certification and pay some license fees.
All that adds cost, so I don't really expect this will be generally available at every PC, except of some more powerful notebooks, workstations and "enthusiast level" motherboards with optional cards.
Apple generally doesn't make things for budget categories, plus they have quite broad range of existing TB peripherals, because they were the first and for some time maybe exclusive adopter of TB, so there it makes sense to put that into every computer, which they do.

Michal
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Addict

Even if they would add thunderbolt to it, you won't have much of its plus sides (latency) because of the way USB works. For the same reason that you don't have lower latency on USB3 than you had on USB2. As much as we all use and like usb, it sadly wasn't built with audio in mind.
Old 30th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Robot View Post
Even if they would add thunderbolt to it, you won't have much of its plus sides (latency) because of the way USB works. For the same reason that you don't have lower latency on USB3 than you had on USB2. As much as we all use and like usb, it sadly wasn't built with audio in mind.
Excuse me, what exactly you are talking about?
USB-C is just a connector.. Thunderbolt is bus, which can utilize it.

There ins't any in-line conversion to USB protocol, it just share the same physical socket, so it's definitely possible to have lower latency than over USB 2.0 or 3.0.
Actually TB is only protocol, which makes sense in terms of latency improvement, because it's essentially external PCIe and thus supports very fast DMA from the computer to peripheral device (as opposed to USB 3, 3.1 etc.).

Michal
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
USB-C is just a connector.. Thunderbolt is bus, which can utilize it.
Yes, but that is not what "gonklives" talked about, is it?

You don't have any real lower latency with USB 3 over USB 2. Maybe ~1 ms.
And zero latency (like in other protocols) is not possible atm with USB because of the way it is designed.
Old 30th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, but that is not what "gonklives" talked about, is it?
OP initially talked about USB-C adapters for the connection to current USB devices (be it originally with the classic USB A socket or blue USB 3.0 socket with additional contacts). Later gonklives asked additional question regarding availability of combined USB-C ports with additional Thunderbolt support, which is just optional thing.

Quote:
You don't have any real lower latency with USB 3 over USB 2. Maybe ~1 ms.
And zero latency (like in other protocols) is not possible atm with USB because of the way it is designed.

USB 3.0 vs 2.0 is different topic and I agree with you.

I've responded to your first post here about USB protocol vs Thunderbolt protocol.
"Even if they would add thunderbolt to it..."
Computer vendors might connect data lines from TB controller at motherboard to USB-C connector and use it in mentioned alternate mode.
As I've said, in this case, there's no protocol conversion going on, all inherent advantages of TB are still there.

Michal
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Addict

As i said, i wasn't replying to op, i was replying to "gonklives".
For some reason i interpreted his post as first going all the way through the USB hub and then converting to TB. Which would negate TBs plus sides. My fault.
Yes, you are right of course, if they connect two different protocols (USB and TB) *seperately* to one input it will work, i agree. But i haven't seen that on a PC yet.
Old 30th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, you are right of course, if they connect two different protocols (USB and TB) *seperately* to one input it will work, i agree. But i haven't seen that on a PC yet.
Actually, both protocols are connected there and particular protocol is being automatically switched according to connected peripheral device. If this device is USB, it "talks" USB protocol, if it's TB, then TB protocol.

All is done by using of hybrid USB/TB controllers from Intel Apline Ridge line-up.. Products (Formerly Alpine Ridge)

This part is presented as three devices in the operating system, one as an USB host controller, second as a Thunderbolt bridge and third as a NHI (native host interface).

Essentially every PC, which has listed Thunderbolt 3 support, has it done this way. So all notebooks, PCs or addon cards like these..
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Accessories - GC-ALPINE RIDGE (rev. 1.0)
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-...underboltEX-3/

Michal
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Addict

Today i learned.... Didn't know these motherboard accessories exist. Pretty neat.
Still a lot of a work around though.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

This is really confusing. I want to run a USB-C drive into my early 2013 Mac book pro. What do I do? Is there a USB-c female? To thunderbolt I'm assuming? I also run UAD satellite.. what do I do?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search