The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Ilok 3 out Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 27th October 2016
Gear Maniac

New Ilok 3 out

Any one know the heads up on this, is it one where soon people like avid will require me to buy ilok 3 in order to update my apps?
I read is just cosmetic and bigger memory, for some reason I feel its not only that.

Its a shame $50 for a new usb stick which cost $1 to make in china.

Old 27th October 2016
Gear Maniac

At least it looks nice this time for the price.
Old 27th October 2016
Deleted User
If any software requires an iLok 3, the Justice Department should look into collusion.
Old 27th October 2016
Lives for gear

If only it could also work as a regular USB key to use it with non-iLok plugins that use an external drive to authorize.
Old 28th October 2016
iLk said that the 3rd generation has more memory... memory for what? for an authorisation ?
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

Where is the window for the ilok label?
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

I may be wrong but I have never once heard anyone say they needed more memory space from their iLOK.
This sounds like a force fed "upgrade" to generate a fat wad o' cash for iLOK, and in complete collusion with vendors. This forced upgrade has the potential to be lucratively profitable ( for some one) if you consider a usb stick can be had as low as .20 U.S from China if bought in bulk. Pretty scummy considering end users don't have the option of choice and going elsewhere for their needs.
Old 28th October 2016
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
I may be wrong but I have never once heard anyone say they needed more memory space from their iLOK.
This sounds like a force fed "upgrade" to generate a fat wad o' cash for iLOK, and in complete collusion with vendors. This forced upgrade has the potential to be lucratively profitable ( for some one) if you consider a usb stick can be had as low as .20 U.S from China if bought in bulk. Pretty scummy considering end users don't have the option of choice and going elsewhere for their needs.
I agree. I own a lot of iLok needed plugins and I only have around 350x. I'm not near the 500 nor will I be.

They better not try to force people to upgrade to this when the iLok 2 work 100% fine and can be updated still.

Marc
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

But it has a serial number that won't 'easily' rub off.
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Nut

The ilok 3 should ahve thunderbolt 3 connection for the new macbooks and all the other upcoming new computers that will follow it!
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystandin View Post
The ilok 3 should ahve thunderbolt 3 connection for the new macbooks and all the other upcoming new computers that will follow it!
Instead of USB? Wouldn't that isolate like 95% of the market?
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynick View Post
Instead of USB? Wouldn't that isolate like 95% of the market?
Keep in mind thunderbolt 3 and usb-c are the same connector. Today apple announced the new macbooks will feature 4 thunderbolt 3 connectors (usb-c) it seems that this will soon be the future for other computer manufacturers.
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think they needed to upgrade because they had a security breach last year.
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

Right in time for apple's first laptop to phase out the old UBS ports! Such a smart and ethical company (Stares begrudgingly at blue glowing ilok in computer)....
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
I think they needed to upgrade because they had a security breach last year.
Maybe. But security would be at the server and provided by the code host( iLOK). An iLOK manager update can encrypt my iLOK as it needs to without having me shell out for another usb stick. Even if there is a valid reason to create a new usb stick to suit future computer manufacturer's connectivity decisions, I shouldn't have to replace my existing stick.
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Addict

As an owner of iLok 1 and iLok 2 and almost 200 iLok protected software/plugins, all I can say is: I do NOT buy software that reqiures iLok anymore. They got me fooled once when the 2nd gen iLok came out. It's a scam, a false "protection", useless dongle that causes only problems with software running slow or crashing. And this "3rd gen upgrade" is forced by the fact that iLok 2 is completely compromised. The same will happen with the "new" dongle, sooner rather than later. Thankfully there are still audio software devs who think the same about this and my money goes to them.
Old 28th October 2016
Quote:
Maybe. But security would be at the server and provided by the code host( iLOK). An iLOK manager update can encrypt my iLOK as it needs to without having me shell out for another usb stick. Even if there is a valid reason to create a new usb stick to suit future computer manufacturer's connectivity decisions, I shouldn't have to replace my existing stick.

You don't. Says so in the press release on Pro Tools Expert. Seems like the only thing the iLok 3 is actually replacing is the existing iLok 2 space on the shelve at your favourite music retailers.
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dot View Post
But it has a serial number that won't 'easily' rub off.
And the logo, someone embossed it! OMG, I have a feeling it may be the 3D and depth I've been missing. Some may say it's a subtle difference, but I really think this is a game changer.
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrhythm View Post
And the logo, someone embossed it! OMG, I have a feeling it may be the 3D and depth I've been missing. Some may say it's a subtle difference, but I really think this is a game changer.
So true. I don't currently own any iLok-protected software, but the aesthetic sublimity of this wondrous new design is most certainly inspiring me to reconsider...
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

I think some people don't fully understand the meaning of the word"to force". Then again, we seem to live in a time where people don't care about the meaning of words like people used to....
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I think some people don't fully understand the meaning of the word"to force". Then again, we seem to live in a time where people don't care about the meaning of words like people used to....
Yeah man. Back when Chaucer was hot, english was the way it should be. Kids these days and their ever evolving language.
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Yeah man. Back when Chaucer was hot, english was the way it should be. Kids these days and their ever evolving language.
Whan folk hadde laughen at this nyce cas
Of iLok and hende PACE,
Diverse folk diversely they seyde,
But for the moore part they loughe and pleyde.
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Yeah, literally...
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear
Man, iLok can't win. Everyone complains that the iLok2 is too big for mobile use and too fragile so Pace has has the audacity to make a smaller, metal one to answer those (very real) criticisms and people complain about that too?!?!

The iLok2 dongle was not cracked (if reports are to be believed it was only the SW option which is why lots of companies don't give you that option), iLok3 is the same software as iLok2 and so, no, you do not have to buy one like you did from 1 > 2 to use a new copy protection scheme.
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
Man, iLok can't win. Everyone complains that the iLok2 is too big for mobile use and too fragile so Pace has has the audacity to make a smaller, metal one to answer those (very real) criticisms and people complain about that too?!?!
Agreed.

Quote:
The iLok2 dongle was not cracked (if reports are to be believed it was only the SW option which is why lots of companies don't give you that option),
Unfortunately this isn't entirely correct but it is against forum rules to discuss this particular topic so I will leave it at that.

Alistair
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

..cool, as long as I don't have to buy a new one to run my stuff, or future updates of it in the near future. ... I don't plan on exceeding the available authorizations on my ilok2, and I don't want to spend another $50......
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
The iLok2 dongle was not cracked (if reports are to be believed it

Not true.
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Guru

The metal security loop is actually a genuine improvement.

I know of places where the old plastic one was simply twisted off and taken.

IMO, there should be at least one critical electrical wire running through the outside part of the security loop, so that if someone snaps it off, or cuts it, the iLok is rendered useless.
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
..cool, as long as I don't have to buy a new one to run my stuff, or future updates of it in the near future. ... I don't plan on exceeding the available authorizations on my ilok2, and I don't want to spend another $50......
The nail hit the hammer head shark right there.
Would really like some confirmation from pace on this. Are they about?
Old 28th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post

Totally.

One person hates being forced to use the iLok, the next person says they refuse to use it?

One person says iLok is useless because it has been compromised in the past, while the next guy acts as though iLok updating their system to maintain/restore the integrity of their copy protection constitutes an act of treason.

One person says they hate iLok because it is fragile plastic and vulnerable as it sticks out of his laptop at a gig, then the next guy gripes about the unnecessary release of a metal iLok.

Even climate deniers & flat Earther's can pull together a better unified front than that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search