The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Surface Studio DAW controller Studio Headphones
Old 27th October 2016
Gear Nut

Surface Studio DAW controller

Hi,
I am excited over the new Surface Studio PC from Microsoft.
How cool would it be to use this computer with a DAW made for touch?
With the new Microsoft joggwheel that you can get to the Screen i see many possibilities.
Microsoft should buy a DAW and configure it to work with touch.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...e-release-date

Last edited by Wedoh; 27th October 2016 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Forgot to link
Old 27th October 2016
Lives for gear

Looks like its a much better fit for Graphic Artists as this is the segment that they are trying to grab from Apple. As for DAW use likely you will run into these issues . . . Even though it's $3k, it's only got an i5 CPU, far from our best available DAW CPU's that will give us high clock plus cores, thus a poor DAW performer compared to today's available options. You are paying for a high resolution screen and graphics processor, neither of which is needed in DAW use and in fact steals quite a lot of our needed realtime processing cycles. While the "Puck" is a nice controller option it's still far from the tactile feedback of a real knob and thus being able to quickly assign the jog wheel on a standard DAW controller via a mouse hover/click or via pen would equal or better that function (why pay extra for something possible from existing gear - Controller manufacturer's update your software to include this function). Anytime you add nice GUI layers, you add latency which is the opposite of improving a DAW box. Remember we are trying to use a non-realtime operating system for realtime usage as it is. Lean and clean will give you the best performing DAW computer setup.

If you want to take a stab at it let us know how it works out for extended use as prior all day usage of touch screens have been less than an ergonomic breakthough and more of "my fingers hurt". That has not stoped people from trying to adapt the tech for our usage like Slate. Maybe for some it will work out better.
Old 27th October 2016
Lives for gear

Not correct - see specs:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surf...dio/tech-specs
Old 27th October 2016
Lives for gear

Yes it is correct for the $3k base model which has an i5 4 core CPU, a 1TB drive and only 8GB of ram (not really close to the build your own DAW PC for around $1k, which includes an unlocked i7 4 core CPU, two 2TB drives, 16GB ram, and 32" 1080P moniter configuration is it).

Here is the anounced pricing for the upgraded options:

The $3,499 Surface Studio upgrades the processor to a Core i7, complete with the i7’s crucial Hyper-Threading feature than can help you churn through video editing tasks that much faster. It also doubles the onboard RAM to 16GB.

Finally, the top-of-the-line Surface Studio configuration keeps the Core i7, upgrades the graphics to a much more potent Nvidia GTX 980M, and doubles both the RAM and available storage to 32GB and 2TB, respectively. The cost? A staggering $4,199, and you’ll still need to spend another $100 on the radical Surface Dial to use Microsoft’s all-in-one as it’s meant to be used.
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

The dial is free if you preorder...

Still a large amount to spend on it, but it does look snazzy. I'd wait for the second gen or this, though, which will most likely have a 1080/1070 and, crucially, thunderbolt.
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Nut

I don't think I was clear with my statement. What I wanted to say was that I believe this to be an interesting way of working in a DAW. If the DAW is made for touch. With some physical control tools moved freely directly on the screen.
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
. . . thunderbolt.
That lack of which at this point makes it DOA.

I love the potential of this device, but maybe Gen 2.

Maybe Asus will make a better clone like their Transformer 3 allegedly is to the Surface pro 4.
Old 28th October 2016
Gear Addict

I'm eyeballing it for my design work, which is how I make a living.

It's definitely sweet, but a Wacom Cintiq is still the way to go, since you can attach it to any machine you want, so there's longevity & portability. Case in point, I still use a Wacom Intuos tablet I bought back in 1992.

The Surface Studio is still essentially an AIO that's not user upgradable.

Like Gordon said, we'll see what the next gen looks like.
Old 4th October 2017
Here for the gear

Sonar, the DAW from Cakewalk (owned by Gibson), has begun implementing the Surface Dial. It's still early, but it looks promising.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search