The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Turning a Novation launch control into a dedicated (SSL) plug-in control surface
Old 24th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Turning a Novation launch control into a dedicated (SSL) plug-in control surface

Inspired by this thread
Finally! My perfect little Waves SSL Channel Strip control surface - total cost $75
i took this idea one step further to suit my needs. I ordered the launch control and was kinda surprised about the pretty good build quality for a low end unit. I planed to replace all the pots against very good (high end) ones but will do this at a later stage, because the stock ones are pretty decent for now. I think it's important however to use quality knobs because the original ones do have a bad shape and tactile feel.
The faceplate is 2.5mm aluminum with UV printing and i'm very satisfied with the final result. The horizontal orientation of the pots are not problematic whatsoever, because of the labeling it's easy to get used to it.
Measuring and graphic-design was obviously the biggest part on this mod.
It should be mentioned that this is way more than $75 but really worth it IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Turning a Novation launch control into a dedicated (SSL) plug-in control surface-lc1_1.jpg   Turning a Novation launch control into a dedicated (SSL) plug-in control surface-lc1_2.jpg   Turning a Novation launch control into a dedicated (SSL) plug-in control surface-lc1_3.jpg   Turning a Novation launch control into a dedicated (SSL) plug-in control surface-lc1_4.jpg   Turning a Novation launch control into a dedicated (SSL) plug-in control surface-lc1_7.jpg  

Turning a Novation launch control into a dedicated (SSL) plug-in control surface-lc1_6.jpg  
Old 24th October 2016
Lives for gear

That is one handsome piece, and if you ever got the notion to manufacture it, you'd get rich! I think there is a huge demand out there for knobs and such.
Old 24th October 2016
Here for the gear

Nice! Gonna try that. Thanks for sharing
Old 24th October 2016
Lives for gear
Looks nice, congrats!

Maybe it was already answered somewhere, but how do you work with pots, Launch Control doesn't have encoders, so if you switch between different channels or plugin instances, it doesn't match to previous knob position?

I think, this alone probably would prevent me to think about such LC rebuild as option for channel strip control.
So if I'd put some that effort to mechanics of case caps etc.. I'd probably try to research some completely programmable options with encoders like Livid. I thought about that some time ago, although doesn't find enough spare time for doing of that.

Anyway, enjoy your re-build.

Michal
Old 25th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
That is one handsome piece, and if you ever got the notion to manufacture it, you'd get rich! I think there is a huge demand out there for knobs and such.
Hmm i don't know, there are a lot of variables, everybody needs something different, i think thats the reason why nobody makes such devices.

Last edited by coder; 25th October 2016 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 25th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Looks nice, congrats!

Maybe it was already answered somewhere, but how do you work with pots, Launch Control doesn't have encoders, so if you switch between different channels or plugin instances, it doesn't match to previous knob position?

I think, this alone probably would prevent me to think about such LC rebuild as option for channel strip control.
So if I'd put some that effort to mechanics of case caps etc.. I'd probably try to research some completely programmable options with encoders like Livid. I thought about that some time ago, although doesn't find enough spare time for doing of that.

Anyway, enjoy your re-build.

Michal
Thank you!

As for the rotary encoder vs analog potentiomenter thing, i personally don't like rotary encoders anymore, i just never used them really only for balancing.
With analog potentiometers you always know where you are because you have a dedicated start/end point.
As for the parameter jumps, it's like recalling analog gear, if i go to the next channel i just zero out the potis and done.
Btw in logic pro it's a breeze to configure this thing, it's done in 10 minutes with midi learn.
Old 25th October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
Thank you!

As for the rotary encoder vs analog potentiomenter thing, i personally don't like rotary encoders anymore, i just never used them really only for balancing.
With analog potentiometers you always know where you are because you have a dedicated start/end point.
As for the parameter jumps, it's like recalling analog gear, if i go to the next channel i just zero out the potis and done.
Btw in logic pro it's a breeze to configure this thing, it's done in 10 minutes with midi learn.
I see, thank you for the reply,
when I have a choice, then pots with fixed ranges are great.. like on real console or outboard. However I can't personally imagine (I'll probably need to test Launch Control itself directly in my DAW) to fiddle with recalling and finding of values after every change to different channel.
I'm using SSL Duende strip on almost every channel at a project - not necessarily just for EQ bands and dynamics, but also for gainstaging, filters.
So I'm bit afraid this won't work for me, because from certain point I need to do mostly relative adjustments and tuning..
For example I might have hi-hat and piano track..
I'm controlling the strip at hi-hat track, then I switch to piano to refine HPF frequency.. as soon I'd touch assigned HPF pot, it would probably jump to HPF frequency of previous hi-hat track, so it would be necessary to "find" previous value again. Most probably this would drive me crazy , especially when operating knobs with larger ranges like band gains, which are +/- 20dB and if you're approaching the end of mix, every decibel in balance here and there matters ..or at least to me after couple of hours with material
Maybe I'm getting that wrong.. and it's just matter of some habit and of course, if that's working for you, then it's absolutely fine.

Michal
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

Wow¡¡ Nice work. I start with my launch control today and I am very happy. What is the size of the new knobs???
Old 20th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
I see, thank you for the reply,
when I have a choice, then pots with fixed ranges are great.. like on real console or outboard. However I can't personally imagine (I'll probably need to test Launch Control itself directly in my DAW) to fiddle with recalling and finding of values after every change to different channel.
I'm using SSL Duende strip on almost every channel at a project - not necessarily just for EQ bands and dynamics, but also for gainstaging, filters.
So I'm bit afraid this won't work for me, because from certain point I need to do mostly relative adjustments and tuning..
For example I might have hi-hat and piano track..
I'm controlling the strip at hi-hat track, then I switch to piano to refine HPF frequency.. as soon I'd touch assigned HPF pot, it would probably jump to HPF frequency of previous hi-hat track, so it would be necessary to "find" previous value again. Most probably this would drive me crazy , especially when operating knobs with larger ranges like band gains, which are +/- 20dB and if you're approaching the end of mix, every decibel in balance here and there matters ..or at least to me after couple of hours with material
Maybe I'm getting that wrong.. and it's just matter of some habit and of course, if that's working for you, then it's absolutely fine.

Michal
I feel the same. But the problem is to find a suitable midi controller with rotary encoders, that can be DIY'ed into something like the Launch Control.

There's the Behringer BCF2000 (big and ugly)

or the:

https://store.djtechtools.com/produc...ighter-twister

Kind of small, but I guess that's the closest we can get to a midi controller with enough knobs to control a channelstrip?
Old 21st November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectric View Post
Wow¡¡ Nice work. I start with my launch control today and I am very happy. What is the size of the new knobs???
These are 14.5mm elma knobs.
Old 11th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
These are 14.5mm elma knobs.

The Shaft diameter is 6,0mm???
Old 12th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectric View Post

The Shaft diameter is 6,0mm???
Yes, standard 6mm.
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Addict

Hey sorry to revive this old thread but this looks absolutely stunning! Can you give more information about the knobs?
Specifically, what is the product number? Where did you buy them? I'd love to buy some of the these on Amazon but it's difficult to get to the right product: Amazon.co.uk: elma knob: Electronics & Photo

Can anyone point me into the right direction? Much appreciated!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

bumping this. maybe i missed it but where did you get the faceplate from? i see audiowerke??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search