The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quiet PSU
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quiet PSU

Not much need for words. This corsair has finally pissed me off to the point where I'm ready for a change (fan turns on, then off, then on, then off, etc )

Here's what I'm looking at:

be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 700W ATX 12V 80 Plus Gold Modular SLI/CrossFireX Power Supply SilentWings 3 Fan Ultra Silent-Newegg.com

Not going any higher price wise, don't need any more power but if someone just happened to know about them or one like it (eh hem, even cheaper maybe? ) that would be great.
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Up front that looks real nice; four rails and 120mm fan (at least one of three). Yeah this DAW power supply discussion is long overdue - I've got a sub standard 600 watt (wasn't meant to be permanent) that's a bit loud right now and a 400w Antec as a backup, but it's a jungle out there.

All I have to go by, is a friend who had a custom DAW PC put together with all the bells & whistles (four months ago), and when I PM'ed him asking about his "dead silent" power supply he gave me a link to same brand as yours, don't know if it's the same model or not:

http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/522
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quite happy with my Seasonic Fanless. Expensive, but truly silent.
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

I didn't know they made a fanless. Maybe I'll change my mind about the price since that would obviously cure the issue.

The funny thing is that my old computer's PSU (master cooler? ) isn't bad. It simply runs at a nominal speed all the time vs this corsair.
Old 22nd October 2016
Gear Head

Very well constructed, fully modular, SFX format suitable for mITX builds and very power efficient, including fanless mode..
Most reasonable looking PSU I know of right now..

SF Series™ SF600 — 600 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified High Performance SFX PSU

SF Series power supplies bring legendary Corsair performance and reliability to the SFX small form factor standard. They have the features found in full-size high performance power supplies, with certification for 80 PLUS Gold efficiency, superior voltage regulation, Zero RPM mode for virtually silent operation, and 105°C All Japanese capacitors for better reliability.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pply,4512.html
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Seasonic gold here. Quiet.
Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

Been there with a Corsair psu, but worse - when the fan came on it would drive the case into audible vibration, and all attempts to reduce the coupling and damp the vibration failed. Got a be quiet! - and it was.
Old 24th October 2016
Lives for gear

I appreciate the responses.
Old 27th October 2016
Lives for gear

Another +1 on BeQuiet! although I tend to only advise the Straight Power and Dark Power ranges for being super quiet.

I've had too many run ins with Corairs fan curves and squealing caps, to get behind most of the models. As with most things, the more expensive units are less built to a price point and ultimately better, quieter units (AX series is alright for instance), but I do like the fans they use in the BeQuiets!.
Old 27th November 2016
Lives for gear

EEEK.

I forgot all about BF and when I went to newegg (which seems to be the only supplier) they are all gone

Oh well.
Old 27th November 2016
Here for the gear
The SeaSonic SS-520FL2 is sold for $120 on NewEgg and is fanless. Do you need more than 520W with a high efficiency rating?

They're probably still in stock since not too many people buy fanless PSUs.
Old 28th November 2016
Lives for gear

I doubt I need more than that but it's more than I'm willing to pay. Wanted to be well under 100.
Old 28th November 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats View Post
I doubt I need more than that but it's more than I'm willing to pay. Wanted to be well under 100.
There's also a refurbished Corsair RM1000x for $95. It's really damn cheap for a PSU that scored a 10 on JohnnyGuru. But you might have the same problem with it.

Quite honestly I wouldn't go below $90 with a PSU. At that range you can't really ask for much.
Old 28th November 2016
Lives for gear

Seasonic Platinum 520 fanless, works perfect.

Last edited by Analogue Mastering; 28th November 2016 at 12:47 PM..
Old 28th November 2016
Lives for gear

What about something you could buy at Best Buy or something? I appreciate the engineering that must go into the high $$$ power supplies, but there mus be a middle ground you'd think.

* update wow the SeaSonic brand is value priced for the fan models, at least on eBay. That might work in my situation
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

I'm nervous to get anything under 600w. It's hard to remember but it seems that a modern computer with fans, i7 and overclocking the "experts" said it needed some juice.

Again thanks all.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

You don't need more than 500 unless you will have 2 heavy hitting juice gobbling SLI videocards, 5 old spinning discs, 10 fans etc.
A high end daw system is very different from a gaming system
Old 29th November 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
I'm nervous to get anything under 600w. It's hard to remember but it seems that a modern computer with fans, i7 and overclocking the "experts" said it needed some juice.

Again thanks all.
In GPU reviews AnandTech also check total system power consumption. Their system has am i7 4960X, a Samsung 840 EVO and 32GB of RAM.
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph10325/82908.png

Unless you have multiple GPUs it's likely that you wont even hit 400. Many hard drives can take quite a bit of power while spinning up, but I guess you don't have many of those because they make quite a bit of noise.
Old 29th November 2016
Would definitely recommend the BeQuiet. I had a Corsair AX760 in my machine which kept causing random reboots for god only knows what reason.

Bought a BeQuiet simply because I had no idea what else to buy but actually I really quite like it. Very quiet PSU and no issues so far. I didn't go for the fanless model admittedly, but still very quiet.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Over a month now and we still don't have a power supply?

That would make a system build somewhere around 6 years.
Old 29th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKummer View Post
In GPU reviews AnandTech also check total system power consumption. Their system has am i7 4960X, a Samsung 840 EVO and 32GB of RAM.
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph10325/82908.png

Unless you have multiple GPUs it's likely that you wont even hit 400. Many hard drives can take quite a bit of power while spinning up, but I guess you don't have many of those because they make quite a bit of noise.
Thanks
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

I have good news to report using Quiet PSUsilicone fan mounts on the fans within the power supply.

It took the noise so low the case side is off and it's still way quieter than before. I just cleaned the blades, drop of sewing machine oil in each fan, treated the blades with dust repellent (which is conductive so don't do that either ) and pulled the fan mounts into place.

Disclaimer/Warning: unless you're familiar around dangerous voltages don't you dare do this! But I am, I did, and am very happy right now because of it.

Nice link here on fans and the difference between flange and ribbed.

Last edited by JoeyM; 5th December 2016 at 06:18 AM..
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

Any and all information is both cool and appreciated. But to make sure you understand what my original problem is with my PSU, please understand:

It's not always spinning. What happens (and isn't a problem this time of the year, but is most of the year considering my living area) is that the fan spins intermittently.

When it's not spinning, CLEARLY it's not a problem. But when the PSU decides it's time, it's really noisy.

The fanless units are intriguing. Was hoping to spend under a C-note, but starting to think I shouldn't be such a cheap-ass and just get the fanless (like my VGA)
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any and all information is both cool and appreciated. But to make sure you understand what my original problem is with my PSU, please understand:

It's not always spinning. What happens (and isn't a problem this time of the year, but is most of the year considering my living area) is that the fan spins intermittently.

When it's not spinning, CLEARLY it's not a problem. But when the PSU decides it's time, it's really noisy.

The fanless units are intriguing. Was hoping to spend under a C-note, but starting to think I shouldn't be such a cheap-ass and just get the fanless (like my VGA)
I'm going the other direction - after hearing the noise vanish I'll be looking at power supplies that are $100 cheaper and just trick them out with the mounts.

I just wonder if you have a sensor that's got dust all over it or something, or if the motherboard is the culprit sending a signal to the power supply to run the fan hard. Have you swapped with another fan-based power supply to see if that has crazy fan problem too?
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

Go passive, you won't regret it.
Old 5th December 2016
Which Corsair do you have? I have been using their supplies for a while and never had a problem with noise. In fact, the AXi series, and any other corsairlink compatible PSU, allow you to switch the fan to normal operation, hybrid mode, or set a fixed RPM.

I did read some PSUs developed a defect that cause spin-up and spin-down in a fashion similar to what you mention. Corsair has usually replaced these without any problems.

EVGA would be another highly recommended choice, and they are way cheap for what you get. you may not need more than 500W, but having plenty of extra headroom will help you keep the PSU operating well within it's cool "fanless" range, so don't rule out a more powerful supply.
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
Go passive, you won't regret it.
Just so you know, I agree - I'm just short-term troubleshooting because that's the way my brain works.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search