The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate, when will we have an option out of the rack Saturation Plugins
Old 8th October 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 
sam c's Avatar
 

Slate, when will we have an option out of the rack

I would really like it if you would follow through with this, as you mentioned early on. I like your plugs....but literally will not pull up one because of the way I am forced to use it.

Really cool you are dropping prices and adding plugs.....how about this option too?

Thanks
Old 8th October 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
I didn't expect Slate to release individual VMR modules as standalone with any sort of urgency but had hoped they would have started co-developing/releasing standalone modules for new things once they had announce they would do it eventually. No programmer but it seems like it would make more sense to do them at the same time. Oh well I've moved on and hope to be pleasantly surprised one day
Old 9th October 2016
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Same here, I love the Slate plugins, but the rack brought more disadvantages than advantages. One thing that ****s up my workflow is that I can't see directly from the DAW channel strip what plugins are on my inserts. You have to open the rack window every time, very annoying. I'd love it if the plugins were available standalone outside of the rack.
Old 9th October 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 

I stopped using it because of the rack. I do use the trimmer but will not purchase any more slate until update that removes them from rack
Old 9th October 2016
  #5
Here for the gear
 
DarinBad's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
Same here, I love the Slate plugins, but the rack brought more disadvantages than advantages. One thing that ****s up my workflow is that I can't see directly from the DAW channel strip what plugins are on my inserts. You have to open the rack window every time, very annoying. I'd love it if the plugins were available standalone outside of the rack.
I agree. I find myself using less and less Slate plugins in my sessions because it is just plain annoying to do so. I was open minded at the beginning, but I just can't warm up to the Rack. I already have a rack in my DAW. I don't like being boxed into yet another.

Slate plugins are fantastic. I'm just waiting for them to be set free so I can enjoy them again...

Hurry please!!! (Pretty Please..) lol.
Old 14th October 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
sam c's Avatar
 

Bump....since Slate responds to many threads, hoping to hear from him on this?
Old 15th October 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 

@ Steven Slate Tags actually work.
Old 15th October 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
I kind of dig the rack. Almost like 500series Itb.
Old 15th October 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I kind of dig the rack. Almost like 500series Itb.
Except in the real world you can route 500 series modules with your other outboard gear in any manner that you like.

With software, it serves little purpose except to force you to use the Slate plugin ecosystem.

So yeah, I guess it's like the 500 series. Except not as cool, and way more annoying
Old 15th October 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
+1

It would be so much easier to have the option of not using the rack. Say most tracks get the VCC first then maybe the Massey CT5 second and if I want to insert a Slate EQ after that it means having two rack modules on an otherwise vertical plane for using one box each, it doesn't make any sense.
Old 15th October 2016
  #11
323496
Guest
Very interested in this. It would be a massive workflow enhancement for me.
Old 15th October 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Except in the real world you can route 500 series modules with your other outboard gear in any manner that you like.

With software, it serves little purpose except to force you to use the Slate plugin ecosystem.

So yeah, I guess it's like the 500 series. Except not as cool, and way more annoying
So true but I've been using multiple instances of vmr when I want a piece of hardware or plugin between 2 vmr modules. Wouldn't that be the same as having separate vmr plugs?
Old 15th October 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 

Waiting/nagging for this for a long time.... I will not buy any more Slate plugins before single instances is available.

I have all plugins prior to the VMR + a couple from after.
But the "problem" is that I have found my self using the Slate plugins less and less, due to (for me) a more complicated workflow (just to remind him he is not the only one out there with quality plugins).

He should do what Soundtoys, and some others, have done. Make them available both within and outside of the Rack.

At certain point I had a real hope for this to happen, but now I don't know anymore. Hmmm?
Old 15th October 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
 
degas's Avatar
 

Yup, totally agree that the rack should be optional.
Old 15th October 2016
  #15
Gear Nut
 

I've had the Everything bundle for a month now and I like the rack, it's nice to assemble my own channel strip plugin in one space where i can see them all. Yes, if i want somebody else's plugin in the chain i end up with two racks so it would be handy to have separate plugs as well but i find the browser on the left of the rack much quicker to use than Logic's list of plugins.

I would personally like to see VTM available as a VMR module so it can all squeeze in together.

Maybe my screen is too small but it's hard to fit too many plugin windows on it at once so the VMR is great for me.
Old 15th October 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
So true but I've been using multiple instances of vmr when I want a piece of hardware or plugin between 2 vmr modules. Wouldn't that be the same as having separate vmr plugs?
For sure, but I guess the question is whether that approach uses more CPU than if they were "unracked"?
Old 4th December 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
For sure, but I guess the question is whether that approach uses more CPU than if they were "unracked"?
The more I use the rack the more I'm thinking Slate should bring out an utility plug for the rack that will let you insert 3rd party plugs into the rack. Vcc into the blue 1176 into uadLa3a into reviver, as an example. Can't be that hard to do. Imagine being able to insert a piece of hardware into the rack. Now thats innovative.
Steven..........
Old 4th December 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
The more I use the rack the more I'm thinking Slate should bring out an utility plug for the rack that will let you insert 3rd party plugs into the rack. Vcc into the blue 1176 into uadLa3a into reviver, as an example. Can't be that hard to do. Imagine being able to insert a piece of hardware into the rack. Now thats innovative.
Steven..........


In PT, this 'rack' is already there - the 10 inserts conveniently arranged vertically and ready to insert hardware as well.

The problem is really that the Slate rack is extremely inconvenient when used along with other plug-ins - and I doubt that anyone wouldn't use other plug-ins and insert them in-between the Slate moduls, etc.

Frankly, I doubt that it ever will happen as it's been months or maybe years since that feature was requested my many Slate users like myself.
Old 4th December 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 
sam c's Avatar
 

I'm frustrated because he has a list of things he promises to do that is getting to be years old....all the while new stuff regularly....
Old 4th December 2016
  #20
Mho
Lives for gear
 

Im Happy inside the rack. I only miss La3a and optó options.
Old 5th December 2016
  #21
Lives for gear
 
timemist's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
The more I use the rack the more I'm thinking Slate should bring out an utility plug for the rack that will let you insert 3rd party plugs into the rack. Vcc into the blue 1176 into uadLa3a into reviver, as an example. Can't be that hard to do. Imagine being able to insert a piece of hardware into the rack. Now thats innovative.
That is a function in most modern DAW's. The problem with VMR is that it creates redundancy, and ends up being a rack in a rack. Just give us the option of using single Slate plugins in our DAW racks please.
Old 5th December 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Meanwhile at Slate headquarters, testing of the latest rack update is underway...

Old 5th December 2016
  #23
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 

Well, Steven picks his threads with care
Old 6th December 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 
JC Biffro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
Same here, I love the Slate plugins, but the rack brought more disadvantages than advantages. One thing that ****s up my workflow is that I can't see directly from the DAW channel strip what plugins are on my inserts. You have to open the rack window every time, very annoying. I'd love it if the plugins were available standalone outside of the rack.
Not an issue inside FL Studio 12, as you can rename your plugin inserts

Presume your DAW doesn't support this feature?
Old 6th December 2016
  #25
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post

He should do what Soundtoys, and some others, have done. Make them available both within and outside of the Rack.
Exactly! Soundtoys did this without much fanfare, if Slate ever will free up the plug-ins I'm sure it will be advertised as a revolutionary concept and major breakthrough.

Slate reminds me very much of Apple: Great products but a 'rule the world' overconfidence that tends to marginalize the competition with hype and cult-like behaviour.

Slate makes great products but so do Soundtoys, Massey, Softube and many others.
Old 6th December 2016
  #26
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
Not an issue inside FL Studio 12, as you can rename your plugin inserts

Presume your DAW doesn't support this feature?
That's an alright crutch at best. I'd say it's still a pretty ****ty solution having to manually rename all your inserts compared to them just being named in a useful way automatically
Old 6th December 2016
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timemist View Post
That is a function in most modern DAW's. The problem with VMR is that it creates redundancy, and ends up being a rack in a rack. Just give us the option of using single Slate plugins in our DAW racks please.
Exactly. I've said this many times: The right company to implement a virtual effects rack is the DAW manufacturer, not the plugin manufacturer.

The implementations of plugin manufacturers like Slate or Soundtoys come with some inevitable shortcomings because a plugin is inherently limited in its access to a DAW's functionality.
Old 6th December 2016
  #28
Lives for gear
 
timemist's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
The implementations of plugin manufacturers like Slate or Soundtoys come with some inevitable shortcomings because a plugin is inherently limited in its access to a DAW's functionality.
True, but at least SoundToys gives us the option to not use the rack. It's the forced use of it in VMR that is problematic.
Old 6th December 2016
  #29
Lives for gear
 
comfortablynick's Avatar
 

I would very much like to see VMR plugins outside the rack. Slate did it themselves with VBC, so it's not impossible. As much as I love Slate plugins, I'm still going to use other brands (shocking, I know!), and the rack really gets in the way of that.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump