The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kontakt Sample Missing - a way to fix all past projects?
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Nut

Kontakt Sample Missing - a way to fix all past projects?

I recently moved and organised my Kontakt libraries across 3 hard drives, of course this came with all my Kontakt samples now missing from projects, is there a way to find them once and then it's set for ALL projects?

I now have to find every library across all my projects, and there's around 250 tracks across my orchestral template.

Thanks

Jarrod
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrodRoylesAtki View Post
I recently moved and organised my Kontakt libraries across 3 hard drives, of course this came with all my Kontakt samples now missing from projects, is there a way to find them once and then it's set for ALL projects?

I now have to find every library across all my projects, and there's around 250 tracks across my orchestral template.

Thanks

Jarrod
have you tried a test by Directing One Library in Standalone Mode ?? i do all my add Library Work in there and it seems to Cross over to DAW's ..

cheers john
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Nut

Thanks! I'll be sure to try it out, what about for Libraries that don't have an actual 'Library' feature, Spitfire for example, some can only be found from the Files tab.
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrodRoylesAtki View Post
Thanks! I'll be sure to try it out, what about for Libraries that don't have an actual 'Library' feature, Spitfire for example, some can only be found from the Files tab.
you could put them into Quick Load ...
Old 28th September 2016
Lives for gear

From within Kontakt, do a "Batch Re-Save" under Kontakt's file menu. Do this for each directory that contains Kontakt Instruments.

When you use this command, Kontakt will ask you to point to a directory that contains Instruments, then it will attempt to load every instrument in that directory, and if some samples are missing / moved, it will throw the "Sample Missing" dialog - the one with that shows the list of missing files at the top with the "Skip Missing" and "Abort Loading" buttons at the bottom. When you see that dialog, hit the "Browse For Folder" button and locate the directory that you know contains the samples in question.

Kontakt will then do a "dummy loading" of every instrument in that directory, re-associate the instruments with their samples, and then re-save the instruments.

This function is recursive, so it will search "downwards" into a set of nested folders - but invoking this command at the top level of a big hard drive can be time consuming, since when use the "Browse for folder" command it will need to search a wider area for the samples. Say you have a bunch of drum kit instruments that reference thousands of samples in one folder, and some strings instruments also referencing thousands of samples in another, but both on the same drive. If you do Batch Re-Save at the top level of the drive, then you'll need to "Browse for folder" also at the top level of the drive. Then Kontakt will need to search the whole drive for the drum samples AND the strings samples, which could take a long time. If you do one Batch Re-Save for the drums sub-folder, then Kontakt will only need to search in that folder for the missing drums samples, and then you do another Batch Re-Save in the strings folder, and this will also go more quickly. It's more clicking on your part but in the long run will be quicker to do your Batch Re-Saves "down" pretty far into your folders. Use your judgement as to how far down you want to go before doing the Batch Re-Save to balance the number of individual Batch Re-Save operations you need to do versus the time you spend watching Kontakt search for samples inside your folders.

Be aware that this operation is more or less equivalent to manually loading and then saving each instrument, so if you plan on trying at a later date to open those instruments with an older version of Kontakt, that you may not be able to, because (depending on the versions of Kontakt used) you may get the dialog that says, "This instrument was created with a later version of Kontakt and can't be opened". Not a big deal in normal operation, but for some developers who want to test out loading instruments on various versions of Kontakt this might be an issue.

Understand that the DAW project file does not need to know where the SAMPLES are, only the INSTRUMENTS. Then, the instrument knows where to find the samples it needs. So, once you do a Batch Re-Save you have fixed the relationship between the samples and the instruments (and other stuff like the wallpaper files, etc.) - BUT you may still get the "Samples Missing" dialog when the DAW project opens if the DAW cannot find the Kontakt INSTRUMENT it needs. If this happens, you may need to use Kontakt's "Database" functionality.

Kontakt's Database stores the file paths where instruments, samples, multis, etc. can be found. When the DAW project loads, it tells Kontakt "I need instrument BIG STRINGS to load", and Kontakt looks for that instrument in the location it was last stored in, and if it's not found, refers to the Database to see if it's in one of the locations listed there. A truly slick user can thus prevent the DAW from ever throwing the "Samples Missing" dialog even after massive reorganization of sample drives.

If you go to the "Database" tab in Kontakt's "Options" window, you can see what file paths Kontakt "knows" about. Here you can remove old paths from drives that have been renamed or re-organized, as well as add new paths, manually scan them to add their contents to the Database, and control various aspects of how Kontakt searches for files when the DAW tells it to load a given instrument. If the Batch Re-Save doesn't fix your issues, then you will need to do some poking around with the Database.

Screwing up here won't really destroy anything, but it is possible that you can make your situation worse by deleting paths from the Database and not adding the new updated path and scanning it - so take a gander at the relevant part of the Kontakt manual before going hog-wild and deleting every single outdated path from the Database. I am not all that slick with the Database but it's worth knowing about to prevent issues when reorganizing sample drives.

Here is a blog post I found about the Database:

http://www.adsrsounds.com/kontakt-tu...-the-database/

Google "Kontakt Database" for more info, and read appropriate section of the Kontakt manual.

TL;DR = If you do a Batch Re-Save, that fixes the relationship between Instruments and their associated sub-files like samples, wallpapers, etc.

Additionally, Kontakt's Database can be tweaked and scanned so that the Kontakt can find any moved instruments when the DAW project asks for them.

The DAW only asks for Instruments, then the Instrument finds the sub files on its own.

At least, I THINK that's how it works....
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
From within Kontakt, do a "Batch Re-Save" under Kontakt's file menu. Do this for each directory that contains Kontakt Instruments.
Awesome, it works.
Here's a link on Native Instruments web site.

https://support.native-instruments.c...Batch-re-save-

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search