The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connect FF 800 to FF 802 Audio Interfaces
Old 28th September 2016
Here for the gear
Connect FF 800 to FF 802

Hi Friends,

Can I connect my old Fireface 800 to my new Fireface 802?

I have looked at the videos online that how how to connect two FF 800's, but I haven't seen anything about connecting an 800 and an 802. I am currently running my FF802 into my Macbook Air via Thunderbolt/Firewire 800, therefore I imagine the only way to connect the two RMEs would be by Firewire 400 or using the FF800 as a stand along and connecting with ADAT, but I think the ADAT board doesn't work on the FF800, that's why I bought the FF802.

The RME Forum seems to be down, that's why I am posting here.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 28th September 2016
Lives for gear

Hi Chris,

although generally I'm not really fan of such aggregation and ADAT will be IMO more solid way to increase analog I/O count, you may have to try that.
Both FF800 and 802 uses the same driver, so interface aggregation should theoretically work (I haven't tried that with different units personally).
You have this option for the physical connection.. computer -> TB to FW800 adapter -> FF800 -> FF802. All units connected via FW800 cables, which should theoretically provide largest bus bandwidth.

Also correct aggregation requires, both devices are synced externally, so you'll need to set one unit as a clock master device (at internal) and second unit as a clock slave (set prefered sync source to wordclock or spdif depending on what you'd connect from the first unit).
Finally after you verify at device control panel, that everything is synced and working, then you might create OS X aggregate device.. (at Windows this step isn't necessary as ASIO driver "see" both units automatically)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

Anyway, I'd probably still try to debug FF800 optical ports, which you're guessing it's not functional..
RME support works also via e-mail: [email protected]
They should at least guide you through some troubleshooting steps with regards to hardware failure or for example give you some clear tips for that aggregation.

Good luck!

Michal
Old 28th September 2016
Here for the gear
Thanks for your help, Michal!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search