The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate VMR & Waves SSL Channel strip
Old 27th September 2016
Here for the gear
Slate VMR & Waves SSL Channel strip

I already own Slates VMR (FG-S EQ is SSL EQ). Now Waves SSL 4000 is on sale for $250. Is it worth to buy the Waves SSL 4000 plugin? I am interested in the Waves SSL E & G Channel strips. Please suggest.
Old 28th September 2016
I love the dynamics section of the SSL channel strips which is something that hasn't appeared in the VMR rack yet. I own both and use them both regularly. You can demo it, so perhaps give it a spin? As much as I love the VMR, I don't find it a replacement for the Waves SSL channel specifically (the bus compressor and eq? Absolutely).

One thing to keep in mind though is that the Waves SSL bundle breaches the $700 Retail price threshold for free license transfers. Even if you buy it at $250USD, you will need to pay a $150 license transfer fee should you ever decide to sell it. It isn't the biggest issue, but something to be aware of.

The SSL Duende channel strip is another option. It costs more, but they do offer sales from time to time - particularly when Black Friday rolls around.
Old 28th September 2016
Here for the gear
If I need to use only the EQ section, which EQ sounds better Waves SSL EQ or Slate VMR EQ?
Old 28th September 2016
Lives for gear
The Waves SSL channel has much more functionality than just the EQ that Slate offers. I do use and like both but with the Waves you get an entire channel strip in 2 variations plus inky and output gain, gating, compression, and both hi and low filtering.
Old 29th September 2016
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi. The VMR's FG-S is an authentic model of the real British mixing console EQ. That includes several important factors that give it the real tone, including some things that are not recreated on the competitor in question: Harmonics, Band Interaction, Amplifier Clipping.

For dynamics, the VMR's FG-401 Circuit 1 is based on the British mixing console compressor which again will recreate the subtle harmonics created by the VCA circuit, but we made the attack and release completely variable, added an optional Neve style transformer, and also added a a second circuit which makes the release a dual opto style release.

The VMR does not yet have a gate, but it's coming. But give the above info, I would disagree that the competing plugin has more functionality... I'd certainly say the compressor and EQ have less.

Ultimately if I were you, I'd download the Waves demos and decide with your ears. Good luck!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

Biased?
Old 29th September 2016
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Biased?
Does it really need to be said given the fact that my name is literally on one of the plugins in question?

Cheers,
Steven
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Head

I used the SSL Waves strip plugin a lot in the past - it was my go-to channel strip. I remember when I first got it what a huge difference it made to the sound of my mixes.

Since getting VMR, the combination of the SSL setting in the console simulator, the SSL Eq and the red 401 VCA comp have completely taken over. They win on sound and functionality for me, over the Waves strip.
If you own VMR you already have a great version of virtually everything you'd be getting.

There's no gate, so fair enough, but basically I think you're deciding whether to spend $250 on a gate.
Old 29th September 2016
Heb
Gear Maniac
DYN4000 G-Series Dynamics Plugin for Windows and Mac - OverTone DSP

If you want the dynamic section, I highly recommend overtone Dsp's version.
Old 29th September 2016
you might also want to consider the new Acustica Audio SAND plugin....
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Does it really need to be said given the fact that my name is literally on one of the plugins in question?

Cheers,
Steven
I know

I got most of your stuff...... waiting for the single instances of the VMR plugins.... Hmmm?
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Ultimately if I were you, I'd download the Waves demos and decide with your ears. Good luck!

Cheers,
Steven
You heard it from Steven Slate himself, demo the waves and let your ears decide. He's confident enough in his product to have you take that risk.

Sometimes it's not always about what actually sounds better, but what inspires you. I was taught by a wise mentor years ago that sometimes you need to get new gear just to change things up. Not that your old gear was bad, but something new and exciting can liven up your mixes or recordings because it livens up you.
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi. The VMR's FG-S is an authentic model of the real British mixing console EQ. That includes several important factors that give it the real tone, including some things that are not recreated on the competitor in question: Harmonics, Band Interaction, Amplifier Clipping.

For dynamics, the VMR's FG-401 Circuit 1 is based on the British mixing console compressor which again will recreate the subtle harmonics created by the VCA circuit, but we made the attack and release completely variable, added an optional Neve style transformer, and also added a a second circuit which makes the release a dual opto style release.

The VMR does not yet have a gate, but it's coming. But give the above info, I would disagree that the competing plugin has more functionality... I'd certainly say the compressor and EQ have less.

Cheers,
Steven
Not trying to be disrespectful my friend. I own everything that is Slate in the bundle and use it regularly. Just giving my observations. I do love the Slate SSL Eq emulation. Very smooth sounding and I use it quite a bit. The Neve module is great if you are looking for a more aggressive sounding eq. Love the new blue bundle as well and use it regularly.
Old 29th September 2016
Using the expander into the the compressor is one of my very favourite things about the SSL channel dynamics
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKite View Post
I used the SSL Waves strip plugin a lot in the past - it was my go-to channel strip. I remember when I first got it what a huge difference it made to the sound of my mixes.

Since getting VMR, the combination of the SSL setting in the console simulator, the SSL Eq and the red 401 VCA comp have completely taken over. They win on sound and functionality for me, over the Waves strip.
If you own VMR you already have a great version of virtually everything you'd be getting.

There's no gate, so fair enough, but basically I think you're deciding whether to spend $250 on a gate.
Same here, though it would be convenient if the FG-401 had an auto gain feature.
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

I have both. I think the Slate version sounds better, more real. It doesn't have the LPF, which is kind of ridiculous given how common it is on SSL desks to LPF while boosting the HF. You can get some great tones that way and it's super common.
Anyway, they decided to leave it out for some odd reason, copyright nuance or something (note Steven can't say "SSL", always has to say "famed Brittish mixing console" or something). Steven will point out (in 5...4...3....2...) that SSL themselves left the LPF off one or their 500 series modules or something. So there!

But my No-LPF-Gripes aside, the Slate version still sounds better to me. And the FG-401 is one my favorite ITB comps.

The VMR workflow is clunky if you use any non-VMR plugins at all, but it's cheap for those original 4 plugs and the zero latency and super light CPU hit are impressive. I use them to mock up sounds all the time before printing hardware come mix time.
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

I think the eq on the slate sounds better, but the lack of low-pass and the added noise which is at times a nuisance mean I'm still using the waves quite a bit
Old 5th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
I think the eq on the slate sounds better, but the lack of low-pass and the added noise which is at times a nuisance mean I'm still using the waves quite a bit
The noise is something that is beyond ridiculous in my opinion. Makes it unusable for me. At least when I emailed slate during the summer they said the update to vmr that removed the noise is in beta. Can't wait. As of now I can only use the red module compressor. ( don't like the other fet style comp ) and the eqs add NOISE.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search