The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PC seems ok, but MOTU intertface makes loud crackling sounds Audio Interfaces
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

PC seems ok, but MOTU intertface makes loud crackling sounds

motu ultralike mk3 hybrid randomly makes audio crackles.
to stop it i chnage buffer back and forth, replug usb and restart pc.
checked with latency checker no issues.
is audio interface going bad or what can it be ?
had rme babyface, behringer x32 all worked fine
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

I have an MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid. It too crackles on output sometimes, but only in Sonar. Restart Sonar and its OK. I've eliminated most, but not all, of the crackle problem with a new USB cable and moved it from a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 port on my desktop. Moving to a USB 2.0 port had the biggest affect (decrease) on the problem.

Too low a buffer can cause this but it was not the reason, for mine.

When it comes time to replace (it will be a while), MOTU will not be on my list for replacment.
Old 27th September 2016
I've never used a Motu audio interface, although I use a couple of Motu midi interfaces. My 'guess' is something in it's driver. With my older Aardvark Q10's I've had occasional reoccurring similar issues, to a point where I put a shortcut to Windows 'Services' on my Desktop. Whenever I have issues, I 'restart' my Aardvark service, and that fixes it. Of course much of the problems I've had were due to using the lowest possible latency/buffer settings on a heavily loaded up project, and this could happen with any interface where you're up against the limits of your DAW machine.
Old 27th September 2016
Deleted User
I had to find older drivers, not the universal ones' because I had this problem with a Motu 2408 mk2/ pci 424 and a Motu 896HD. I had to do the same with a Focusrite Forte, which had a bunch of issues with all but the very first driver release, which was not easy to find at all. These older drivers fixed all issues.
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

Most likely the drivers...I had one.
Old 28th September 2016
Try a 'factory reset' -- I was having problems with intermittent crackling a few years ago. It got worse and someone suggested a reset. I did it, it worked, and I was good for many more months. It did reemerge a few times but I cut to the chase pretty quick once I knew I could nix the problem relatively quickly.

FWIW, my 828mkII is on W7 and I do use a recent (perhaps current) universal driver. I haven't had the 'static' problem in quite a while now -- although I do get a BSOD if for some reason I cut power on the MOTU while the computer is connected and running. (Avoidable but annoying.)

Here are instructions for the mkII and the mkIII: http://www.vialab.org/MEL/Tutorials/...faultState.pdf

Here are instructions for the UltraLite (per Sweetwater):
Quote:
To reset the UltraLite Mk3, make sure the unit is not connected to Firewire. Press the PARAM / SETUP button until you see SETUP. Use the PAGE knob to scroll to FACTORY DEFAULTS, then press the Value knob to execute.Aug 3, 2010
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...ts-hard-reset/
Old 28th September 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Try a 'factory reset' -- I was having problems with intermittent crackling a few years ago. It got worse and someone suggested a reset. I did it, it worked, and I was good for many more months. It did reemerge a few times but I cut to the chase pretty quick once I knew I could nix the problem relatively quickly.

FWIW, my 828mkII is on W7 and I do use a recent (perhaps current) universal driver. I haven't had the 'static' problem in quite a while now -- although I do get a BSOD if for some reason I cut power on the MOTU while the computer is connected and running. (Avoidable but annoying.)

Here are instructions for the mkII and the mkIII: http://www.vialab.org/MEL/Tutorials/...faultState.pdf

Here are instructions for the UltraLite (per Sweetwater):

How do I reset the MOTU UltraLite Mk3 (Hybrid) to factory defaults (hard... SweetCare
I had to take the PROM chip, out of my 828mkII and clean it and the socket a couple years back, because it got real flaky, freeze during power-up or just go whack-O. The cleaning and reseating the chip fix that issue.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search