The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Valhalla Plate Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 24th September 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Valhalla Plate

I know this topic has been discussed but I am a reverb fanatic. I own all the Valhalla products but I find myself using Valhalla Plate quite a bit. I was wondering what you folks think VP is great for and also why it does not seem to generate as much enthusiasm as the other Valhalla reverbs. (I guess some may not find it versatile enough)

Not surprisingly for a plate, I use it a lot for vocals and drums. I like how well it blends with the mix and gives just the perfect vocal ambiance without sounding like "here, there is a reverb added to the vocals" which for certain genre of music can be the desired effect I know. In other hand when I want something a little more flashy and dimensional on vocals I will use Valhalla Room LV426 Plate (using the Abbey Road reverb trick) but Valhalla Plate is just so natural sounding that I use it 95% of the time on vocals. The new modes added during the last update made it even better. I actually feel you can now get close to those 60's vocal recordings with VP.

So, who else enjoys and uses VP as much as I do?
Old 24th September 2016
  #2
Gear Nut
 
Olivia Osmund's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
I know this topic has been discussed but I am a reverb fanatic. I own all the Valhalla products but I find myself using Valhalla Plate quite a bit. I was wondering what you folks think VP is great for and also why it does not seem to generate as much enthusiasm as the other Valhalla reverbs. (I guess some may not find it versatile enough)

Not surprisingly for a plate, I use it a lot for vocals and drums. I like how well it blends with the mix and gives just the perfect vocal ambiance without sounding like "here, there is a reverb added to the vocals" which for certain genre of music can be the desired effect I know. In other hand when I want something a little more flashy and dimensional on vocals I will use Valhalla Room LV426 Plate (using the Abbey Road reverb trick) but Valhalla Plate is just so natural sounding that I use it 95% of the time on vocals. The new modes added during the last update made it even better. I actually feel you can now get close to those 60's vocal recordings with VP.

So, who else enjoys and uses VP as much as I do?
I wouldn't worry how much hype actually any plugin generates. Seems to work for you, good. Versatile or not, it is what it is.

I have other valhalla verbs(they are cheap)also. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. I don't want to complain, developer seems to be cool and like I said, dirt cheap.
They are good option anyways, not worth the hype IMO.
Old 24th September 2016
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia Osmund View Post
I wouldn't worry how much hype actually any plugin generates. Seems to work for you, good. Versatile or not, it is what it is.

I have other verbs(they are cheap)also. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. I don't want to complain, developer seems to be cool and like I said, dirt cheap.
They are good option anyways, not worth the hype IMO.
Yep.

If it works for you. good, use it. It's a nice reverb.

On the other hand, it sounds almost, but not quite, completely unlike a real plate.
Old 24th September 2016
  #4
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarc View Post
On the other hand, it sounds almost, but not quite, completely unlike a real plate.
So what? The EMT folks thought they were building something that sounded like a real chamber.
Old 24th September 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
I've never used a real plate, so I have no basis for comparison. What reverb(s) do you think sound most like a real plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarc View Post
...
On the other hand, it sounds almost, but not quite, completely unlike a real plate.
Old 24th September 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 

I use VP a lot, too. But usually with other couple reverbs.

As always, sometimes they work, sometimes not.

If i remeber correctly, Valhalla Plates was inspired on the EMT140 of a particularly studio. Actually, it was the studio that recorded one Fleet Foxes album.
Old 24th September 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
comfortablynick's Avatar
 

I love VP!

The "Cobalt" mode was indeed modeled off of a specific EMT 140. I think it nails that sound. The "size" parameter can make a big difference in any of the modes. Most of the time I keep it at 0 if I'm going for the standard plate sound.

Some of the modes are chamber/plate hybrids with higher modal density, and those are the ones I tend to use most. I'm a big fan of the classic Capitol/Columbia echo chamber sound.
Old 24th September 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 

I love Sean's Plate personally..

I was somewhat reserved, when he released it.. because I started with very cheap reverb boxes and plate was actually only usable algorithm there, then I used it at much better units, it had its place, but I still wasn't into a wide variety of its applications.
Then there was addition of new mono source algorithms and I had finally found enough time to really test it out.. It was just wow moment for me.
So much variety among algorithms with so little controls.. Works well for longer vocal plates, short percussion plates, mid plates for guitars.. very short plates for "invisible" fattening. And to me its controls are very cleverly tuned, because it's almost impossible to introduce any artifacts.. I sometimes use it also instead of rooms (which I've never really expected), because it can adds similar "dimension" with some plate types and short time, but for example, there's never any hint of those repeated zippy sounding taps.. (sometimes those direct reflections are exactly what you want, but for some percussive sounds with sharp attacks it might be very obvious.. it's possible to reduce that with more diffusion/attack at some reverbs/units, but this can add "breathing" and distance, which also might not be desirable).
Never really looked for particular hardware replica there, but I like to use some longer plates with saturation, EQ for additional sheen and transient shaper at AUX track for more control.

To me, very well done.. And I can recommend that wholeheartedly.

Michal
Old 26th September 2016
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
So what? The EMT folks thought they were building something that sounded like a real chamber.
Indeed! As I said, Valhalla Plate is a nice reverb.

And all the classic analogue hardware reverbs, be they chambers, plates or springs, were trying to imitate real world reverb. Instead of achieving their aim, they became classics in their own right, just as the Lexicon sound has.

The Valhalla reverbs are all ace and may well in time become classics themselves.
Old 26th September 2016
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
I've never used a real plate, so I have no basis for comparison. What reverb(s) do you think sound most like a real plate?
Undoubtedly Nebula gets closest. There are a couple of good libraries for it.

The algo reverb that gets closest is, in my opinion, that from OvertoneDSP. It is still, however, a poor substitute for the real thing if you want that particular vibe.

That being said, I feel I must stress that I think Valhalla Plate is a nice reverb that works well with vocals. It can come more to life if you dirty up the send with something like Decapitator.

At the moment though, I'm going through a honeymoon phase with real chambers, plates and springs. I find the sheer unpredictability exciting and inspiring.
Old 26th September 2016
  #11
My ears have changed over the past couple years when it comes to reverb. Used to be a total hardware reverb slut but now when we turn on our EMT it sounds a bit mechanical, still sounds good but overwhelming at times in the digital environment. The Valhalla Plate and several others capture the essence without taking over and becoming another instrument. Maybe it's just old ears!
Old 26th September 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 

As it was mentioned, it is great on its own. You may be disappointed if you expect an exact replica of a plate. It is often very smooth hence the suggestion of "dirtying" it with something like decapitor. Although if I want something a little more grainy and textured I'd use Valhalla Vintage Verb.

I just remember hating plugin reverbs for years, prefering by far my Lexicon hardware. I often use reverbs to add a discrete ambiance, nothing conspicuous and I used to think that plugin reverb did not seem to glue to the source.

I have no doubts there are other great plate emulations out there. When it was going for $50 recently I did not go for the Waves Abbey Road because of its CPU hog reputation. The PSP 2445 - which is basically a plugin rendition of a primitive digital rendition of a plate - could be my next investment.

Is anyone here using the PSP2445? It looks awesome for short ambiences and it does not seem to be a CPU hog either.

Last edited by numero6; 26th September 2016 at 08:25 PM..
Old 26th September 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarc View Post
Undoubtedly Nebula gets closest. There are a couple of good libraries for it.

The algo reverb that gets closest is, in my opinion, that from OvertoneDSP. It is still, however, a poor substitute for the real thing if you want that particular vibe.

That being said, I feel I must stress that I think Valhalla Plate is a nice reverb that works well with vocals. It can come more to life if you dirty up the send with something like Decapitator.

At the moment though, I'm going through a honeymoon phase with real chambers, plates and springs. I find the sheer unpredictability exciting and inspiring.
In this particular case, I wouldn't be so quick to solely point out Nebula as Convolution reverb is very well suited to emulate plates. Both are dependent on having good IRs as the source.

The original models, as everyone knows, are physical pieces of steel, and though there is circuitry involved, it's not based at the core on an algorithm, or at least one that's not directly based solely on mathematical models of space, but rather something that physically exists. Many of the modulation counterpoints used to discount the value of convolution reverbs such as Altiverb and Space Designer do not hold as much weight, no pun intended.

It's somewhat ironic that 20-30 years ago convolution reverb was thought to be almost out-of the question due to the then resource constrained world of music on computers, and Convolution was almost treated as the holy grail.
Old 28th September 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
 

I downloaded the PSP2445 demo, wow! To fatten a voice with a short reverb it is really stunning. My next purchase for sure.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump