The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best VST for horns (reggae style) Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th September 2016
Gear Head
Best VST for horns (reggae style)

I listended to some demos and my interest goes out to the following two products:

NI Session Horns
Chris Hein Horns compact.

Does anyone has experience with both that can advise me on which one to choose (or any better option at a price point of about 200$)? Specifically for Reggae and Funk styles.
Old 19th September 2016
Lives for gear

I use both on occasion and think they both fill their purpose. Still prefer NI horns though, but if I were you I would definitely look up Vir2's Mojo Horns. Above your pp unfortunately:

MOJO: Horn Section | Vir2 Instruments
Old 19th September 2016
Gear Guru

if you go the NI session horns route .. go for the Session Horns Pro or you do NOT get any Articulations ...
Old 22nd September 2016
Gear Head
Thanks guys. I had the oppurtunity to play with Native Session Horns. It's ok, but still has a kind of workstation preset sound. Maybe this will become better when used in combination with a breath controller which I'm going to order.
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Truthfully, I often program reggae horn and it is a lot about technique and layering the right horns together and so on. You could get a great sound just with your DAW's sampler. I programed some great ones just with Halion Sonic SE from Cubase but it took me a lot of experimentation first.
Old 23rd September 2016
Gear Head
Played a bit more with Session Horns. It's sounding better than any other samples/rompler vsts I own.
Here a small snippet I just created with session horns.
Old 6th October 2018
Here for the gear

Hi all,

Sorry to bump the thread as its 2 years old, but this is my first post.

I am really wondering how reggae and dub brass sections work musically? Are they chords or single notes? Is it one brass instrument or several or the same in different layers?

I'd also like to know what chord sequences/scales work well in dub and reggae?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as its a genre I haven't had much experience with but feel it would help my drum n bass/jungle productions no end.

Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search