The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Latency in 2016
Old 15th September 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Latency in 2016

I'm living in the relative dark ages computer-wise, and so I'm just wondering how it's going latency-wise these days.

With my old computer and interface, I have to be constantly changing my buffer settings. If I want to be able to play a midi keyboard, I set it at 128 or so (the feel still is rubbish and there are occasional clicks and pops). If I want to use plugins and build a mix, I generally set it at 1024. I also have to calibrate a record offset for any particular buffer setting, and sometimes re-calibrate, running an out to an in and recording it, and measuring the lateness or earliness. If, after setting up various plugins, I want to do any further midi recording, I have to disable most plugins, and set the buffer to 128, record the bit, then put the buffer back to 1024 and re-initialize the plugins.

Etc. and so forth, rinse and repeat, effing ridiculous!

So, I'm guessing in the modern world of 2016, all of that is ancient history. You modern people probably buy a super computer, an interface, a plastic keyboard, and a bunch of high powered plugins for a pittance, connect it together in a blink, and it all works seamlessly with nary a thought to "latency". People probably don't even use that word anymore.

True?
Old 15th September 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhamilton View Post
I'm living in the relative dark ages computer-wise, and so I'm just wondering how it's going latency-wise these days.

With my old computer and interface, I have to be constantly changing my buffer settings. If I want to be able to play a midi keyboard, I set it at 128 or so (the feel still is rubbish and there are occasional clicks and pops). If I want to use plugins and build a mix, I generally set it at 1024. I also have to calibrate a record offset for any particular buffer setting, and sometimes re-calibrate, running an out to an in and recording it, and measuring the lateness or earliness. If, after setting up various plugins, I want to do any further midi recording, I have to disable most plugins, and set the buffer to 128, record the bit, then put the buffer back to 1024 and re-initialize the plugins.

Etc. and so forth, rinse and repeat, effing ridiculous!

So, I'm guessing in the modern world of 2016, all of that is ancient history. You modern people probably buy a super computer, an interface, a plastic keyboard, and a bunch of high powered plugins for a pittance, connect it together in a blink, and it all works seamlessly with nary a thought to "latency". People probably don't even use that word anymore.

True?
What sound card are you using? There are definitely some new cards where you wouldn't have to change buffer sizes throughout your workflow.
Old 15th September 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
There are definitely some new cards where you wouldn't have to change buffer sizes throughout your workflow.

Which ones?
Old 15th September 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
RME if you wan't low latency and solid drivers that don't tax the CPU as much as others.
Old 15th September 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
I have pretty much no latency with my RME UFX when I set the buffer at 48 samples. I'm also able to track as many as 32 ins, output that many again and run a light/medium amount of plugins without getting any clicks.

When I mix, I put it up to 1024 and I have CPU headroom for days. I could probably mix at faster settings but I have no reason to. If I'm writing and I want to use a midi keyboard with a bunch of plugins, 128 works fine.


A decent computer can be had these days for relatively cheap. You should probably upgrade.

Also, what DAW are you using? Most modern DAW's will have some sort of automatic delay compensation.
Old 16th September 2016
  #6
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
There are definitely some new cards where you wouldn't have to change buffer sizes throughout your workflow.
No, absolutely not, not when it comes to the final processing, with all the heavy duty and marvellous goodies loaded on to caress the final masterpiece into perfection.

Latency is still with us. Learn to be mindful of it. Learn to cope. Don't let it become the constant distraction that generates another new thread every few days, like so many other wasteful topics. Yeesh, we need to invent some brand new problems. This is just getting sooo old.
Old 16th September 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10yearlurker View Post
No, absolutely not, not when it comes to the final processing, with all the heavy duty and marvellous goodies loaded on to caress the final masterpiece into perfection.

Latency is still with us. Learn to be mindful of it. Learn to cope. Don't let it become the constant distraction that generates another new thread every few days, like so many other wasteful topics. Yeesh, we need to invent some brand new problems. This is just getting sooo old.
I can get .7 - 1.5 ms on my Computer, I never have any audible latency and have not for many years

What interface are you using? what CPU? are you using mechanical drives?

You should read up on new technology
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump