The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can someone recommend me an audio interface with an optical port in? Audio Interfaces
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Head

Can someone recommend me an audio interface with an optical port in?

Hello,

I have a lavry high end converter and currently connect with a creative soundcard, but it has driver issues with windows 7. 8 and 10 and the just crashes alot. The only interface i know has the optical in is the rme babyface but i just need a cheap interface like $100 or near with a stinking optical in port to connect to my pc. The optical port that uses cables with lasers inside.
Old 14th September 2016
Out of interest, what do you monitor through?

Some of the Focusrite interfaces have optical in, and would give you better monitoring DAC than whatever's in that creative card too.

You don't have coax out on the lavry, or AES out?
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Head

I monitor through a lexicon alpha and Yamaha Hs5's i believe with mogami gold trs cables. I have checked out the focusrite before, do you know a specific model with an optical in?

Yes, the lavry black does have the, aes, xlr looking jack and some other port on it, clock, that looks like an antenna jack for a tv. I don't how to connect those to the pc without additional hardware.
Old 14th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayelem View Post
I monitor through a lexicon alpha and Yamaha Hs5's i believe with mogami gold trs cables. I have checked out the focusrite before, do you know a specific model with an optical in?

Yes, the lavry black does have the, aes, xlr looking jack and some other port on it, clock, that looks like an antenna jack for a tv. I don't how to connect those to the pc without additional hardware.
OK so you can also use any interface that has AES in (which is the XLR). Actually, technically that *should* work with coax SPDIF inputs as well with the right adaptor (They're pretty much the same format - but don't buy without trying first!).

Focusrite 18i something has optical in.

The "antenna" jack is word clock, if you're using the lavry as clock source via AES or optical you don't need it.

I have to say though - Lavry, Creative, Lexicon alpha - that's a really bodged together weird system, with massive weak links and semi-pro gear and a stupidly expensive input chain by comparison.

I'd personally get rid of the lexicon and the creative card, and just get a decent interface with the right inputs and monitor through that too. You must be using some sort of generic driver with god knows what latency to combine the 2 interfaces at the moment?
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayelem View Post
Hello,

I have a lavry high end converter and currently connect with a creative soundcard, but it has driver issues with windows 7. 8 and 10 and the just crashes alot. The only interface i know has the optical in is the rme babyface but i just need a cheap interface like $100 or near with a stinking optical in port to connect to my pc. The optical port that uses cables with lasers inside.
The Tascam us366 (a nice little $150 swiss army knife interface I keep pushing around here) has optical and coax spdif in/out. Externally clockable as well.

Also has other nifty specs such as 192 sample rate, 6 ins/outs (configurable) virtually silent with pre gain ALL the way up (if you want), line ins 3-4 that totally bypass the pres, aluminum build, ADC AKM AK5359, DAC AKM AK4384. Great driver for win 7,8,10.

Discontinued in the US a couple of months ago, still current in Japan. You can probably still find it at all the usual suspect retailers.
Old 14th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
The Tascam us366 (a nice little $150 swiss army knife interface I keep pushing around here) has optical and coax spdif in/out. Externally clockable as well.

Also has other nifty specs such as 192 sample rate, 6 ins/outs (configurable) virtually silent with pre gain ALL the way up (if you want), line ins 3-4 that totally bypass the pres, aluminum build, ADC AKM AK5359, DAC AKM AK4384. Great driver for win 7,8,10.

Discontinued in the US a couple of months ago, still current in Japan. You can probably still find it at all the usual suspect retailers.
Quite a package indeed, are the drivers good enough?

Tascam says it's been replaced with this, which is just unbelievable!

Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Quite a package indeed, are the drivers good enough?

Tascam says it's been replaced with this, which is just unbelievable!

Tascam's redirect to the new item is a little weird as the new item bears basically no resemblance in features (no optical etc) to the 366 imo.

Teac probably figures, "hey no one in the US wanted the loaded 366 at a couple hundred bucks, so let's dumb it down to compete with the low-end Focusrite/Steinberg features in the $200 category and save ourselves (Teac) some money too.

I really like my 366 and bought it sort of on impulse to use when I travel. The driver is great on my win7 and win 10 systems. No idea why the thing got no respect outside of Japan.
Old 14th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Tascam's redirect to the new item is a little weird as the new item bears basically no resemblance in features (no optical etc) to the 366 imo.

Teac probably figures, "hey no one in the US wanted the loaded 366 at a couple hundred bucks, so let's dumb it down to compete with the low-end Focusrite/Steinberg features in the $200 category and save ourselves (Teac) some money too.

I really like my 366 and bought it sort of on impulse to use when I travel. The driver is great on my win7 and win 10 systems. No idea why the thing got no respect outside of Japan.
That was a huge dumb down, they could've at least kept a pair of digital I/Os...
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I'd personally get rid of the lexicon and the creative card, and just get a decent interface with the right inputs and monitor through that too.
The Lavry will definitely have AES outs which will be the best connection.
A good combination with that could be the Yellotec PUC
Yellowtec: PUC2

There is the PUClite with only AES/EBU I/Os.
Or the big brother with AD and DA converters. Here you could also make your monitoring with

But since you already have a good AD converter something like the Stereo192 DAC from Mytek would work too - as interface with AES input and a good DAC for monitoring.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search