The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
16 gigs enough ram ? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th September 2016
Gear Head

16 gigs enough ram ?

Hi ! I have a 5,1 Mac pro with 3.33 ghz xeon quad... Is 16 gigs of ram enough for any DAW ? Thanks...
Old 13th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeAndListen View Post
Hi ! I have a 5,1 Mac pro with 3.33 ghz xeon quad... Is 16 gigs of ram enough for any DAW ? Thanks...
You should be able to use such a setup just fine.
Old 13th September 2016
lol, I use 4 gigs of ram...
Old 13th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
What sample libs do you use? that's all you need ram for. A good way to figure it out what you need is look a the size of your sample libs and add them up and estimate how much of them you are goign to use at any one time. For instance some superior drummer libs are 60 gig but that is 10 kits you only use one at a time. So you would need 6 gig for that (without caching). VSL is quite large. That takes 16 gig if you used all the samples in one session, this is why I had to go with 32 gig. If you don't use samples you only need 2 - 4 gig of ram. 4 - 8 gig is safe
Old 13th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
never heard of a 3.33ghz quad .. they are 6-core .. i have one as well .. i have 24gigs ram and when using Kontakt 5 i can use most of it between pro tools, kontakt ..

my .02
Old 13th September 2016
Lives for gear

it is
Old 13th September 2016
Gear Addict

Unless you use huge multi-sampled instruments, it is enough.
Old 13th September 2016
Lives for gear

Like the folks are saying, enough for what?
Old 13th September 2016
Lives for gear

Mac pro 5,1 3,33 6-core with 16gigs RAM here, for most things it is more than enough.
Old 13th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4ree View Post

I have 4 Win XP PC's with 4 GB ram each, all with quad core CPU's (from 2.5 Ghz to 3 Ghz per core).

I also have a newer Win 7 64 bit 12 core PC (3.06 Ghz per core). This one has 48 GB ram

I don't even know what the Win 7 PC with 48 GB ram can do, I haven't been able to work on many projects since I got it (it's been a super busy work season for me in my trade/business).

But just last night, I was working on a project I've just started in one of my older Win XP PC with only 4 GB ram. With over a dozen plus VSTi's running, my Cubase VST meter says I'm about 1/3 on using up it's resources. This is using a combination of Cubase included so-so VST's, along with some actual 'good' 3rd party VSTi's, without any audio tracks in the project yet.

PS, even though I have a very powerful PC now, I'm continuing to use my older PC's. Party, because I want to 'use them up' for all they're worth, without wearing out my newer PC for 'creation tasks', and because I have a lot of older 3rd party 32 bit VSTi's in them that I'm accustomed to using, and still want to work with. Since I've been running master/slave PC's with my Win XP machines for a few years (dedicated audio PC, dedicated VSTi PC, dedicated guitar PC etc), this is natural for me to use these old things as 'supporting' machines to my newer powerful one.

I also purposely started a song project in my newer, more powerful 64 bit PC, with the 48 GB ram, just to see what limits, or 'lack of' limits I have. So far, with about a dozen VSTi's running - all Cubase included one's so far - the Cubase VST meter is extremely low, and in Windows Task Manager, my CPU & ram are barely taking a hit at all...something I'm NOT used to seeing!
Old 13th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4ree View Post
Likewise......

I think you'd have to purposely try to max out 16GB of RAM to do it. Even the most plug-in intensive/etc efforts would be hard-pressed to seriously hinder your PC's performance.
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Unless you work in Protools which loads the project into RAM which means you can end up loading a project with 20Gb of audio files before you even start on the processing / plug ins RAM requirements.
Old 14th September 2016
The only vsti I really use is EZ drummer. Maybe an occasional instance of Kontakt. My method of recording and mixing is pretty methodical. I leave ezdrummer midi until bass and one guitar track is done. Then I convert/freeze ez to audio. While recording vocals, guitars, and ezdrummer is now audio, the only effect I'm using is a reverb send for vocals. This is just for laying down vocal tracks. Once all recording is done, I'll bump it up to 1024, and start mixing, adding plugs. Occationally, I may need to redo something that I missed so I'll bypass effects, go back to 256, rerecord, and then bump back up to 1024 to mix. I seldom, if ever go above a 30 track count. These are audio tracks. I've been running Sonar for many years, up to X3, but recently switched to Studio One 3. Haven't done any tracking with studio one yet. Have set up a recording template, and been reading the manual. In X3, I can put slate VMR on every track, have 2 or three different reverb sends, a delay send, compression, and eq's if needed. I very really have a hiccup. Maybe I'm just lucky. lol
I'm not a huge plugin fanatic. I have plugins that I love, and stick with them.
Old 14th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
Unless you work in Protools which loads the project into RAM which means you can end up loading a project with 20Gb of audio files before you even start on the processing / plug ins RAM requirements.
That's entirely optional. PT doesn't force you to do it and it was a HD-exclusive feature until the other day.
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
never heard of a 3.33ghz quad .. they are 6-core .. i have one as well .. i have 24gigs ram and when using Kontakt 5 i can use most of it between pro tools, kontakt ..

my .02
Hi ! Its a 2009 mac pro. There was a made to order versión 3.33 quad that year..
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Head

Thanks for all the replies ! I have two mac pros that I just bought.. One has the quad 3.33 with 16 gigs of ram, and the other will be a Hex 3.33 with 32 gigs of ram.... Im trying to decide which to keep.... I can make some good money selling the 6 core for somebody who works in vídeo, I bet... The 6 core is a mid 2012, while the quad is 2009.... Its a tough decision-making...which one should I keep ?

Last edited by LukeAndListen; 14th September 2016 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: Spelling miss take....:-)
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi ! Its a 2009 mac pro. There was a made to order versión 3.33 quad that year..
i learned something new today ... cool ...

my .02 .. keep the better of the two .. the 6-core .. it will serve you longer if you start working with VI's and video ..

cheers john
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
That's entirely optional. PT doesn't force you to do it and it was a HD-exclusive feature until the other day.
I thought Protools did this but forgot it was HD only
So 12.6 vanilla will get this? Do you enable this in preferences?
Old 15th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ View Post
I thought Protools did this but forgot it was HD only
So 12.6 vanilla will get this? Do you enable this in preferences?
I think it was implemented on vanilla 12.4.

Go to set up -> playback engine -> disk playback.

Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I think it was implemented on vanilla 12.4.

Go to set up -> playback engine -> disk playback.

Ok, no wonder I missed it, I've stayed with 12.3.1 vanilla until a month ago
been trying out 12.5.2 and OS 10.11.6

I'll try it out this morning!

Have you noticed..does enabling this help stability?
Probably things are a little snappier?
Thanks!
Old 15th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ View Post
Ok, no wonder I missed it, I've stayed with 12.3.1 vanilla until a month ago
been trying out 12.5.2 and OS 10.11.6

I'll try it out this morning!

Have you noticed..does enabling this help stability?
Probably things are a little snappier?
Thanks!
It made a little difference, things are a bit more snappy and I think I'm getting less AAE errors since that. Not a big difference though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search