The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio PC exclusively for vst effects vrs rack effects
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear

Audio PC exclusively for vst effects vrs rack effects

seems like Lexicon, TC Electronics,Alesis and the rest stopped bringing out rack effects 10 years ago

lets say Im using a pc with an 8i/o audio interface for delay and reverb based effects, how would the latency compare to hardware dsp?

what is the latency for typical rack effects? or even pedals, I presume its pretty low around 2ms? my budget doest allow RME, Im thinking Behringer which I believe has respectable latency these days
Old 13th September 2016
It's done all the time. As a multi PC user, I'd say that using a computer dedicated to just effects would work out fine compared to hardware effects racks....after all, using a PC in this way is just another hardware effects rack IMO.

I use multiple PC's, but I actually use PC's as a dedicated audio PC, a dedicated VSTi (virtual instruments) PC and a dedicated everything-guitar PC. I use any effects I need, locally on the PC at hand, but one can do whatever makes sense for themselves.

As far as latency go's with using multiple PC's, it doesn't bother me at all, very minimal. Especially since they're all clocked together in sample accuracy synchronization.There are various ways & methods to work multiple computers together, and they don't necessarily have to be in sync. I started using 2 PC's with sending midi out of my main PC, into my VSTi PC, and the audio from the VSTi's were sent back to my maim PC..which is know as audio/midi sound card networking. As far as networking for just effects, choose your own method...audio routing via hardware (analog or digital) or networking via Ethernet etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search