The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bypassing interface preamps.. is it important? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 11th September 2016
Gear Nut

Bypassing interface preamps.. is it important?

Hey everyone. I am looking to improve the quality of my vocal and acoustic guitar recordings. My mic is the RE20 and my audio interface is the ID14. I just realized I cannot bypass the preamps on the ID14. Apparently these are really decent clean preamps though. Would it be detrimental to my sound to run external preamps through this thing? Preamps I am looking at are the GAP pre73, ISA One, and UA Solo 610. I'm just not sure if it is worth getting these when I can't bypass my current preamps.
Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by camer138 View Post
... Would it be detrimental to my sound to run external preamps through this thing? Preamps I am looking at are the GAP pre73, ISA One, and UA Solo 610. I'm just not sure if it is worth getting these when I can't bypass my current preamps....
Bypassing preamps has become a recurring theme around these here parts. It's one of those things that seems like an important thing to do because there's no information about how the native/embedded preamps behave when used as line-level devices.

I've taken a shot at creating some useful data on this issue by writing a 7-part series of articles about it (using the equipment that I own); and you can rejoice that the GAP Pre-73 and the ISA are included among the devices tested.

Take a tour through the articles using the link in my signature.

P.S. *No*, it's not detrimental to run external preamp through your interface, and *yes*, it's worth it if you're after a sound flavor that's not the native hyper-clean/transparent sound that you get from the Audient.
Old 11th September 2016
You need the id22 if you want to have the ability to bypass the audients mic pre's. I do this when I want to use my warm audio wa12, and the wa76. To be honest though, the Audient pre's are pretty sweet. Very uncolored.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search