The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Out of inputs/upgrade from NI Komplete 6 Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2016
Here for the gear

Out of inputs/upgrade from NI Komplete 6

I have ran out of inputs in my interface, and am looking for suggestions. Right now I have the NI Komplete 6. I have a Mother 32, esq-1, sub37, and prophet 6. I have no issues with the interface itself, but am at least one stereo input short of what I need. I also may have a prophet 600 in the studio in the near future. ...

I am looking for options here. I still have the open spdif ports, but adding a dac and mixer seems more work than it's worth. Another interface seems like a good option, but I am really out of the loop with this stuff. Ideally I'd like around 8 1/4" inputs, and a RTL under 10ms at 48khz with a reasonable buffer. I run a Windows desktop so USB 2/3 or Pci are options. Or is there a better way to "expand" my current interface, as I am happy with the latency/quality and just need more inputs.
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun1984 View Post
I have ran out of inputs in my interface, and am looking for suggestions. Right now I have the NI Komplete 6. I have a Mother 32, esq-1, sub37, and prophet 6. I have no issues with the interface itself, but am at least one stereo input short of what I need. I also may have a prophet 600 in the studio in the near future. ...

I am looking for options here. I still have the open spdif ports, but adding a dac and mixer seems more work than it's worth. Another interface seems like a good option, but I am really out of the loop with this stuff. Ideally I'd like around 8 1/4" inputs, and a RTL under 10ms at 48khz with a reasonable buffer. I run a Windows desktop so USB 2/3 or Pci are options. Or is there a better way to "expand" my current interface, as I am happy with the latency/quality and just need more inputs.
can you post your full system specs please !!! you will get better replies if you do ... cheers john
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

Compact interfaces, which are IMO a good choice for analog synth interfacing and with good latency performance under load are RME FireFace UC or MOTU UltraLite AVB. Both are possible to further expand via ADAT (eg. ADA8200..), both will be certainly good fit for that IMO, although are pricier.
If you relax your latency/perf demand a little bit compared to these two, Roland Octa Capture or 2nd gen. Focusrite 18i8 might be sufficient. Both should be able to deliver cca 10ms RTL at 64samples ASIO buffer. Of course achieved latency is one measure, second one is stability and performance (how many plugins or VIs you can ran at the given buffer size without glitches). That's somewhat composite factor (driver, system configuration, DAW), although RME and new AVB line by MOTU are one of most efficient drivers and typically provides best performance among USB interfaces.
Some folks has also good experience with UAC-2 by Zoom, which has also UAC-8, but I've never used/tested it.

With regards to expansion of your KA6, there's only mentioned ADC route, but this can't be used in its low-latency monitoring (only analog-ins can) and besides some crappy small ADCs from eBay, there aren't any cheap 2ch converters, which would make sense as an expansion.

Michal
Old 10th September 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
can you post your full system specs please !!! you will get better replies if you do ... cheers john
Thanks. Working In IT my whole life has advantages. My rig is an i7 @4.5ghz stable 8gb ddr3 running around 1900mhz. Solid state drives. The computer end is rock solid and very high performance. Also have a quote high end video card (which obv doesn't matter). On my current interface I run 48khz with 64 sample buffers and have never had an issue with pops or buffer under runs. I can be sure the computer hardware will not be limiting. Windows 10 did add about 1ms to RTL but that is trivial.
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks. Working In IT my whole life has advantages. My rig is an i7 @4.5ghz stable 8gb ddr3 running around 1900mhz. Solid state drives. The computer end is rock solid and very high performance. Also have a quote high end video card (which obv doesn't matter). On my current interface I run 48khz with 64 sample buffers and have never had an issue with pops or buffer under runs. I can be sure the computer hardware will not be limiting. Windows 10 did add about 1ms to RTL but that is trivial.
you have not mentioned what Audio Interface you are currently using ??? unless Mother 32 is the Burl ...
Old 11th September 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
you have not mentioned what Audio Interface you are currently using ??? unless Mother 32 is the Burl ...
as mentioned in my first post I have a NI Komplete Audio 6. Love it. Just lacking inputs.
Old 11th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
as mentioned in my first post I have a NI Komplete Audio 6. Love it. Just lacking inputs.
i am on a roll today ... i read that as NI komplete (software only) ...

here are some 8 channel USB 2.0 interfaces / there are others ... you did not say your budget or maybe i missed that too LOL

msmucr mentioned a couple as well .. all about the price i suppose ..

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...18VSL_USB.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...interface.html

cheers john

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search