The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
OS Alternatives Desktop Synthesizers
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

OS Alternatives

Most of our DAWs are locked down, they live on a private subnet that CAN connect to the DMZ, but rarely do.

The Win8 video edit box and an auxiliary Vista/Core Duo machine give us net access, as do our handhelds.

But Vista is showing it's age,and we had to use a third party blocker to keep MS from forcing our paid for copy of 8.1 from being scammed into Win 10.

And all the PCs are at risk as time goes by...we run them hard.

Can you still obtain Win 8? Will the OEM sticker on the Win 8 boxes cover registration on a new box if the old one fails?

What about Win 7? How long can I expect to migrate an OEM copy to new hardware if the old hardware dies?

I have a full licensed copy of Win7 Home in shrinkwrap here...can I deploy THAT on a new box, today?

No need to get into why the current offering isn't what we're looking for...it's been done to death.

This thread is about Damage Control.

What are our non-10 options, and how long can we reasonably expect to be able to exercise them?
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Addict

Windows 7 will be officially supported by microsoft till 2020.
Windows 8.1 until 2023.

You can still buy Windows 7 and 8 on the internet.
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Robot View Post
Windows 7 will be officially supported by microsoft till 2020.
Windows 8.1 until 2023.

You can still buy Windows 7 and 8 on the internet.
Thanks for the answer. Does this mean a new install of Win7 can be registered as late as 2020?
Old 12th September 2016
Gear Addict

Yes. It won't make your PCs particularly run faster though.
Depending on what you need to do with a PC, Linux (not for a DAW) or Mac might be an alternative.
I believe there is a FAQ on the MS website about what and how long stuff from Win 7 will be supported.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search