The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Different VSTs / Orchestral Instruments, same sound? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Nut

Different VSTs / Orchestral Instruments, same sound?

Hello!

This might not make any sense, but.

If I while trying to create an orchestral piece use various instruments from various companies like; Spitfire, 8dio, Native Instruments etc.

How do I get it to sound that it was actually recorded in the same room?

I mean they will ofc. Be recorded in various studios, but how do I get it so it sounds like it was created in the same room?
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Two things that might help are reverb, and the use of a match eq in which you can capture a snapshot for use as a reference.
Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear

Convolution Reverb would probably be your best option here.... Audio Ease (altiverb) has actually sampled quite a few venues for orchestras just for this purpose. Create a IR bus and send your instruments to the VENUE IR. As a side note, AE IRs are STEREO, so you can pan the instruments at will.

Jim
Old 11th September 2016
If there are reverb options on the individual instruments, take that off and feed them all to a good reverb to create a space for them all to live in. Also, pay attention to where each instrument/section is panned. If there are a bunch of wide L/R panned stereo instruments it will sound a bit odd.
Old 12th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Convolution Reverb would probably be your best option here.... Audio Ease (altiverb) has actually sampled quite a few venues for orchestras just for this purpose. Create a IR bus and send your instruments to the VENUE IR. As a side note, AE IRs are STEREO, so you can pan the instruments at will.

Jim
Altiverb 7 is deff. Gonna be on my wishlist. I kinda get the feeling that nothing else comes close to what these guys have done, but.

Is there a cheaper Convolution Reverb alternative to start with?

650+ Euros is alot for me.
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear
It all depends which libraries you have. Some have the verb baked in (Spitfire) other can be dry ( VSL)

Getting the positioning & phase issues between them is a key issue. As far as reverb I'd get the placement correct first (phase & ER's) then try a single tail for them all. It can be convo ( less movement) or algo. ( more movement)

Be sure to check out Liquidsonics Reverberate 2, nice M7 library there. The Fusion tech it uses adds the movement lost with convolution reverbs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search