The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why buy digital hardware? Turntables
Old 10th September 2016
Why buy digital hardware?

Why? With all the time and money put into making it hardware couldn't it just as easy be made into a plugin? This is a question that's irked me for quite some time and I'm probably biased since I prefer plugins and analog only hardware. I understand some digital features such as recall on an analog unit, but why shell out so much money for code and converter in a box? Just wondering any opinions? Thanks!!!
Old 10th September 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

What kind of digital hardware?
Old 10th September 2016
Units like the Bricasti can't done in a plug-in. Though it does have plug-in control.

Older units like SPXs have a character, part of it's the old convertors, tat plugs don't have.
Old 10th September 2016
Here for the gear
Boy, that's a can of worms, but I agree with you. Keep it "in the box" as much as possible.
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian Needle View Post
Why? With all the time and money put into making it hardware couldn't it just as easy be made into a plugin?
Even that CPUs are getting faster and faster there are DSPs or card with DSPs which still can have better performance for audio.
Old 11th September 2016
Gear Guru

Sometimes its a case of already owning the units, as we've been doing the job for a number of years, so its simpler to integrate what we already have in to newer "upgraded" systems.
Old 11th September 2016
I try to use VSTi's whenever possible, but with a dedicated VSTi computer that I use a sound machine...an ITB solution ran to my audio machine, so in a way my VSTi computer is an outboard solution.

I also have hardware sound modules & a synth/keyboard that I'll use sounds from.Although I already had my keyboard/synth, I went out of my way to get the hardware sound modules. Many of the sounds from my hardware is better than the VSTi's I have. I figure, as long as I've invested at this point, I just have more sounds & options to choose from. The main thing with VSTi's is they're easier to use, and are multiple instances capable. Though it's not all that hard to use my hardware when I really want those sounds.
Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear
You need hardware to run software on it.
Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear

Why? Because being hardware it's more analog......

Old 11th September 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats View Post
Why? Because being hardware it's more analog......

Yes, more analoguer.

Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear

Getting away from the computer land.
E.g., I love making sounds with my Virus C every now and then.
Same reason I like making beats with my MPC and SP 1200, too (they also sound good).
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search