The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Software Oscilloscope? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

Software Oscilloscope?

Software Oscilloscope? Any one actually work or there any in waves plugins?
Its for my massive modular rig and I need something with no latency and something that can get HUGE on a display. I have a stand alone PC with a usb audio card if that works or I could go into my Sequoia rig on my i7 rig.

I just dont know!
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Maniac
I suspect you need external hardware to do that. The cheapest one on that list is this one. It comes with software. It's probably good enough for audio purposes, but I've never tried one.
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

Hi, there's couple options for that.. depends what exactly you need.

If you like to read absolute voltages without endless recalculating and calibration, then standard dual channel analogue oscilloscope is the obvious choice, when like to work also without computer. For the audio you don't need extra high bandwidth and used bench scopes are available quite cheap.
Some combination of software with USB input module, like cjearner mentioned is another option, which might give you more options and bigger readout at computer monitor.
If you want to see just basic scope for signal shapes and composition of waveforms from your oscillators, then some pure software variant might work as well. There will be always some latency, which is natural for working as a software via audio interface.
Huge display, I don't know..

I like this freeware 32bit VST - J-Scope VST Oscilloscope
It will run at your Sequoia or you can get also simple VST hosting app SAVIHost
(Just download VST2 variant without keyboard unpack it into the same folder as plugin, rename .exe to same filename as VST.. and you have standalone application, which will host the plugin. You can also customize ASIO I/Os, hide unnecessary toolbars etc.)

Additionally, I'm using Reaper, which has great free JS plugin (JS is internal Reaper language) called Skope II.
My JSFX & VST Plugins
It has flexible triggers, resizable window etc.
If you like to run it at other Windows DAWs, you'll need standalone ReaJS environment, which is part of free ReaPlugs
REAPER | ReaPlugs

For more comprehensive list of additional free oscilloscopes, check this
bpb Freeware Studio: Best Free Oscilloscope VST/AU Plugins - Bedroom Producers Blog

Michal
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

There's also one pretty great open-source plugin, which I recalled..
Janus Thorborg's audio portal

Signalizer
Grab the Windows binary from Bitbucket and unpack release version to your VST plugins folder.
Vectorscope mode has also the Oscilloscope preset (you find presets under menu, which you expand by clicking arrow at Vectroscope tab and submenu with floppy icon).
Whole plugin is resizable and can be switched to fullscreen mode, so it might also qualify as huge by your criteria.

Michal
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Guru

i have Oscillo on my iPad and macbook pro ... very simple and free .. also iSpectrum - this one has scope and waterfall displays ....

a TV show wanted to Realtime Scope to See Waveforms while shooting a Hidden Camera thing .. something fun for visuals .. i think they went with the Oscillo but did not hear back are advising ..

is this what you are looking for ??

Last edited by jwh1192; 10th September 2016 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: SPELLING of Oscillo
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Maniac

...and/or..."MOscilloscope" from meldaproductions should/could get you there...hth.../s~
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveGS View Post
...and/or..."MOscilloscope" from meldaproductions should/could get you there...hth.../s~
forgot about that one - melda works great .. i have it as well .. but only as a plugin .. the others i mentioned above work standalone ..
Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear

There are a few for Max4Live if you have Live.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search