The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
steinberg ur22 mkii or AUDIENT ID-4 ?
Old 9th September 2016
Here for the gear

Smile steinberg ur22 mkii or AUDIENT ID-4 ?

this is going to be my 1st audio interface
right now i have a creative fatality.

so which one of the the interfaces is better for : plug my guitar straight to the card and play or record with plugins like desktop bias.

does anyone tried both cards with electric guitar ?
my pickups are single coils low outpout.

steinberg is famous for the low latency asio drivers but i m noobie at thsese things so i need advice from people who have the experience with those cards

i have windows 7 x64 os

that's all i m waiting for some advices.

thanks in advanced.
Old 9th September 2016
Here for the gear

i watched a few youtube videos with electric guitar but not with the audient id4
it was audient id14 versus steinberg ur22

the id14 has a more clear sound because of the convertors i wish id4 has the same quality but from what i read id4 and id14 has different convertors
which probably means that id4 has the same sound like the ur22...yes ?

help me guys if you know that please.
Old 9th September 2016
Here for the gear

steinberg has many more inputs and outputs but i m not sure if this is a plus for me to buy the UR22

i m gonna record some vst's and i m gonna use electric guitar and a keyboard to write some pianos or play some drumm loops but i not going to use more than one instrument at a time

i hope that is possible to plug a midi keyboard at the audient id4 because so far this is what i like
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Head

The iD4 doesn't have MIDI but most controllers connect via USB anyway. I had the iD4 and it is a nice interface and it sounds really good but I had problems with the drivers not running smoothly at higher settings on my Windows PC so I couldn't get the latency low enough for DI guitar recording. Like 9.33 ms overall latency was the best it could do whereas the 2nd Scarlett 2i2 gets down to 5.1 ms without any issues on my PC. A lot of it depends on your computer and DAW. Some people have no problems running the Audient drivers at 64 samples but they wouldn't work at that setting at all on my PC, even though the Scarletts run fine at 32 samples (they want to blame it on my PC but it runs fine with other interfaces so I don't buy that argument). The bottom line: the performance of audio interfaces varies so much from system to system and DAW to DAW that your best bet is buying from somewhere with a good return policy and just test some different ones out until you get something that works and sounds good for what you're doing.
Old 9th September 2016
Here for the gear

thanks for the answer Zydraka

i have a intel e7300 cpu
asus p5q motherboard
8 giga ddr2 at 800 memory
i use reaper the latest version to record but i was thinking for cubase after a few months later

at the moment my creative x-fi fatality champion audio card gives me the folowing results at the reaper :

44.1 khz 24 bit wav: 2/2 ch 176spls ~6.2/3.9 ms asio

am i gonna take something better than this i wrote above ?

thanks again for answering.
Old 9th September 2016
Here for the gear

i think i m gonna buy the UR22 because of the low latency
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Head

I don't know how to decipher Reaper's latency numbers but that's a pretty low end CPU by today's standards. I doubt the iD4 would perform very well with it considering it wasn't running smoothly with my quad-core i5 2500k.
Old 9th September 2016
Here for the gear

i ll be honest mate

i m watching a youtube video comparing ur22 and id4 and id4 sounds so freaking better

the guy is using logic DAw and a macbook

every time he goes from the ur22 to id4 the sound is more clear and better
both the amp sim he uses and the recording from his amplifier through a mic is better with the id 4

oh lord...... i cannot decide
Old 9th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydraka View Post
I don't know how to decipher Reaper's latency numbers but that's a pretty low end CPU by today's standards. I doubt the iD4 would perform very well with it considering it wasn't running smoothly with my quad-core i5 2500k.
There are certainly other things into play there, I'm very positive that the problem wasn't that 2500k - which I had until last year.

To OP: monitoring with plugins will always be a compromise. Have you looked into Focusrite's 2nd Gen Scarletts? They seem to be focusing on that aspect so might be worth looking into it.
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydraka View Post
The iD4 doesn't have MIDI but most controllers connect via USB anyway. I had the iD4 and it is a nice interface and it sounds really good but I had problems with the drivers not running smoothly at higher settings on my Windows PC so I couldn't get the latency low enough for DI guitar recording. Like 9.33 ms overall latency was the best it could do whereas the 2nd Scarlett 2i2 gets down to 5.1 ms without any issues on my PC. A lot of it depends on your computer and DAW. Some people have no problems running the Audient drivers at 64 samples but they wouldn't work at that setting at all on my PC, even though the Scarletts run fine at 32 samples (they want to blame it on my PC but it runs fine with other interfaces so I don't buy that argument). The bottom line: the performance of audio interfaces varies so much from system to system and DAW to DAW that your best bet is buying from somewhere with a good return policy and just test some different ones out until you get something that works and sounds good for what you're doing.

Works fine on my Laptop. It does depend. At one point I found out that my internal sound card gave better performance than a NI sound interface.... Early days for audient drivers too.
---------------------------------------------------
In the UK any online purchase has an automatic 14 day, at least, cooling down period, so even if you've used it you can send it back no problems.

I've not used the steinberg interface but the id4 really does sound like a much more expensive unit. They aren't Burr Brown chips in the id4 this has been confirmed here by audient staff. I'll dig up the post if you cant find it.
Old 9th September 2016
Here for the gear

hi everyone i m back with the audio interface and the winner is ...................................... audient id4 youhoooo

i did an A/B test with the guitar rig at the store and the audient id4 reported lower latency

also the vst's sounds more clear with that unit so i bought it

i m very happy at the moment

thanks everyone for the answers
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardsinc_ View Post

Early days for audient drivers too.
Three years old...same driver developed for the iD22 (which is already based on a third party core driver as used by many manufacturers I think)
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Three years old...same driver developed for the iD22 (which is already based on a third party core driver as used by many manufacturers I think)
I noticed then when I checked the about after, wasn't sure if it was right though.
Old 13th January 2017
Here for the gear

Hi mesfigas, do you know if the ID4 will take a stereo input signal, via TRS? (e.g. phono to TRS stereo jack?) I'd imagine the input impedance would be too sensitive anyway
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Beats View Post
Hi mesfigas, do you know if the ID4 will take a stereo input signal, via TRS? (e.g. phono to TRS stereo jack?) I'd imagine the input impedance would be too sensitive anyway
The specs say it's a hi-z mono input for guitar.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search