The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME babyface pro - what's the competition? Audio Interfaces
Old 5th September 2016
Gear Maniac

RME babyface pro - what's the competition?

Hi there,

Considering getting the babyface for my new audio system (laptop based). What should I check out as well in that price category?

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear

To tell you the truth. There is nothing that could compete with Babyface Pro in this price range (and even in a substantially higher).

It is a stellar sounding interface, with superb converters, great preamps, great headphone preamps, great connectivity, bullet proof build quality.

I have it along with UAD Apollo 8P, Apogee Symphony I/O. If pure sonics are concerned, it sounds better than both IMHO.
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
To tell you the truth. There is nothing that could compete with Babyface Pro in this price range (and even in a substantially higher).

It is a stellar sounding interface, with superb converters, great preamps, great headphone preamps, great connectivity, bullet proof build quality.

I have it along with UAD Apollo 8P, Apogee Symphony I/O. If pure sonics are concerned, it sounds better than both IMHO.
Not to forget the drivers ! Lowest latency, rock solid. Best in the bizness.

Oh ! and don't forget Digicheck.....
Old 5th September 2016
JAT
Lives for gear
There are a slew of "premium" commercial interfaces - Crimson, Audient, TASCAM and whichever I am forgetting. The ones' I've heard are good enough it doesn't matter. I know the TASCAM unit doesn't match up with drivers and RME is usually tops for those. Sonic-wise I can't imagine that much difference between those units. I know the TASCAM has killer preamps, better than I recall from older RME. Don't know about the newer babyface. You can't go wrong with any choice, but if low latency is needed, RME is the way to go.
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear
The Duet for iOS and the Apollo Twin are the main competition. But really the only thing that could seriously challenge the BF Pro are if Antelope Audio entered this segment of the market.
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear

I just got one. It's been amazing. I never thought I would get such low latency over USB...plus the effects are great to use during tracking.
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
The Duet for iOS and the Apollo Twin are the main competition. But really the only thing that could seriously challenge the BF Pro are if Antelope Audio entered this segment of the market.
If their interface would perform like their current do, they would be no match for BF Pro. Their low latency performance is not even remotely close to BF Pro. As I said, I prefer it to my other two interfaces soundwise. While I decidedfor Apollo for great monitoring and traciing solution utilizing near real time UAD plugins, RME IMHO sounds better as far as conversion is concerned.
Old 5th September 2016
Would be good if OP tells us about his goals and needs, especially I/O count, but in terms of "price X features/bang X buck" I'll just add another voice to choir: hard to beat the Babyface Pro.
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear

what about the older babyface? im thinking to get one for gigging and the original actually tickles me more than the pro..
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear

Great as well, but new one sounds better, has more inputs, 2 headphone outs...
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Great as well, but new one sounds better, has more inputs, 2 headphone outs...
Yep, but then the Pro is bigger, has awkward placement of IO and heavier. Not to mention 300-400$ more expensive.. even when both are bought 2nd hand.
Old 6th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Would be good if OP tells us about his goals and needs, especially I/O count, but in terms of "price X features/bang X buck" I'll just add another voice to choir: hard to beat the Babyface Pro.

Sure .

Currently have a M-auido firewire 1814 with berrie ada8000 extension. Going form desktop to laptop, so firewire has to go.

Looked around for a simpler setup as I currently mostly do single instrument and electronic recordings. Want a unit that can operate stad-alone, has a high quality stereo AD/DA path, is effortless regarding daily use and has ADAT connection in case I want to do drums etc. 2 head phone outs is also important. Hence, the BFP really seems the ticket, although a bit pricy I grew tired of latency, reboots and questioning the quality of my DA route.

Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
Yep, but then the Pro is bigger, has awkward placement of IO and heavier. Not to mention 300-400$ more expensive.. even when both are bought 2nd hand.
Awkward? It's very practical compared to a breakout cable.
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Awkward? It's very practical compared to a breakout cable.
i would rather have breakup cable than io on back and sides :/
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Audient ID 22 or 14. Excellent conversion and pre-amps and DI. Drivers are solid but average latency-wise.
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Audient ID 22 or 14. Excellent conversion and pre-amps and DI. Drivers are solid but average latency-wise.
I tried it, good unit, but really not on pair with Babyface Pro in any way.
Old 6th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Well the audient is a lot cheaper as well, but lacks a second headphone output, which is rather important. In fact, the audiemt id14 is dirt cheap... why would these be comparable?
Old 6th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by clan View Post
Sure .

Currently have a M-auido firewire 1814 with berrie ada8000 extension. Going form desktop to laptop, so firewire has to go.

Looked around for a simpler setup as I currently mostly do single instrument and electronic recordings. Want a unit that can operate stad-alone, has a high quality stereo AD/DA path, is effortless regarding daily use and has ADAT connection in case I want to do drums etc. 2 head phone outs is also important. Hence, the BFP really seems the ticket, although a bit pricy I grew tired of latency, reboots and questioning the quality of my DA route.

Keep in mind that the two headphone outputs on the Babyface Pro are on the same bus/path, they're mirrored. If you want a second output path for the 2nd headphone (with different levels/settings/etc) you'll have use another output.

Quote:
Well the audient is a lot cheaper as well, but lacks a second headphone output, which is rather important. In fact, the audiemt id14 is dirt cheap... why would these be comparable?
Not comparable in terms of features as the Babyface Pro offers a lot more than the iD14. Can't speak about the sonics since I haven't heard the Audient, but I bet it sounds good too as Audient makes great gear.

AFAIK the iD14 doesn't have a standalone mode, it requires a computer all the time. The Babyface Pro does have a standalone mode and can be used without a computer or with an iPad.
Old 6th September 2016
Gear Maniac

mmm I knew it was the same buss but kinda hoped levels could be adjusted. Then it's kind of a splitter built into the box right? Less nifty but workable. I'm kind of confused on what the audient lacks, except for obvious differences. If sound quality wouldn't differ, I might keep the cash and go for the audient...
Old 6th September 2016
Yes, it's kind of a splitter - both 1/4" and 1/8" headphone outputs will output the same signal (Output Bus 3/4).
Old 6th September 2016
Gear Maniac

... in my opinion a solid competitor is the old babyface ... you can get one second hand pretty cheap ... and you are pretty much in the same ballpark ...
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Guys, the older babyface has been explained as not having the super low latency drivers. If that's true, there is no point in getting one used unless you are super tight cash wise.

My babyface pro is just stellar. Two different computers and regardless of host it works as advertised. Though in reason I get 7ms round-trip, I get even lower than that in FL studio (have no idea why) and that is just at 44.1k/128 buffer.

Plus, "totalmix" is really handy. A bit complex but that's because it's so flexible. But do keep in mind that there is no compressor with the babyface units, not enough DSP.
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Sorry, one thing I forgot to mention. It is inconvenient to have the controls on the right side for me. I have to keep the unit where I don't want it or turn it upside down
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm kind of confused on what the audient lacks, except for obvious differences. If sound quality wouldn't differ, I might keep the cash and go for the audient...
The ID 22 has more i/o than the 14. The unit uses Burr Brown converters and sounds excellent according to all reviews I've seen and my ears. The preamps are the same as the big boards they make and probably edge out the Babyface in that regard. The drivers are solid but not in the same league as the RME unit latency-wise.
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats View Post
Guys, the older babyface has been explained as not having the super low latency drivers. If that's true, there is no point in getting one used unless you are super tight cash wise.

My babyface pro is just stellar. Two different computers and regardless of host it works as advertised. Though in reason I get 7ms round-trip, I get even lower than that in FL studio (have no idea why) and that is just at 44.1k/128 buffer.
So it's safe to say that the Babyface Pro has 2ms lower latency than the original Babyface? (my original babyface clocking at 9,0ms roundtrip in Logic ProX with a 128buffer).
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Drivers and latency are the same for Mac users with the babyface pro?
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you're a big time VST instrument user and you need/like to be able to play/perform your instruments at the lowest latency for the longest period of time before having to adjust buffers higher then go RME.

If not, then the audient id series are a good choice. I've got an id14.

I'd love to be able to get a Babyface Pro, load the same project up with each driver, the id14 versus the Babyface, and see the difference first hand. How low can I go without crackles and pops with the same VST instrument load....but, i live in the boonies and even the nearest city is very limited in their stock. They have to "special order" it and with a 10% restocking fee.......
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys View Post
If you're a big time VST instrument user and you need/like to be able to play/perform your instruments at the lowest latency for the longest period of time before having to adjust buffers higher then go RME.

If not, then the audient id series are a good choice. I've got an id14.

I'd love to be able to get a Babyface Pro, load the same project up with each driver, the id14 versus the Babyface, and see the difference first hand. How low can I go without crackles and pops with the same VST instrument load....but, i live in the boonies and even the nearest city is very limited in their stock. They have to "special order" it and with a 10% restocking fee.......
Did you ever get the chance to A/B the Babyface pro
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Did you ever get the chance to A/B the Babyface pro
Yes, bought it....RME drivers & sound are superb. There was a noticeable phase thing going on between the id14 and the RME....a slight shift...one of those things that made you want to tilt your head like a dog.

When I initially had both of them, the RME did edge out the id14 for VSTi and plug in instances by a bit.....maybe 10 to 15%...hard to really know with ASIO load meters.

But, I've NEVER had an issue with an RME driver....that's something you can count on.

btw, I'm on Windows 10 Home CU & Cubase 9.5.1 Pro
Old 9th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys View Post
Yes, bought it....RME drivers & sound are superb. There was a noticeable phase thing going on between the id14 and the RME....a slight shift...one of those things that made you want to tilt your head like a dog.

When I initially had both of them, the RME did edge out the id14 for VSTi and plug in instances by a bit.....maybe 10 to 15%...hard to really know with ASIO load meters.

But, I've NEVER had an issue with an RME driver....that's something you can count on.

btw, I'm on Windows 10 Home CU & Cubase 9.5.1 Pro
Thanks eightyeightkeys
Babyface pro is a solid looking unit.
Glad to hear your happy with it.
cheers
M
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search