The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 16a thoughts Audio Interfaces
Old 31st August 2016
MOTU 16a thoughts

I just installed two MOTU 16a interfaces in my studio, and I have to say, I really like them. An electrical storm took out my pair of HD192 interfaces, and I replaced them with the 16a units. Took a bit to get the routing/ mixer sorted out, but I'm really impressed by how these units sound and perform. Ultra low latency and tons of flexibility. I'm curious about the experiences that other users have had with them...
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Yup, I agree. The new Motu AVB stuff is very good. I have a 16a here, and had a 112D as well until recently. There was one minor annoyance I came across with the 112, but it was just a MADI setting that wouldn't save on the panel on shutdown.

Excellent units, and AVB is well thought out.
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Head

I really like my 16a, as well. Sounds great with plenty of ins & outs. The routing mixer interface gives me a headache every time I have to go in there, but as long as you can create routing presets and set it/forget it then the unit is awesome for the money.
Old 31st August 2016
One of the things that frustrated me as opposed to using CueMix was the lack of a talkback configuration that could be linked to a control surface. That's caused a bit of an interruption while I construct a talkback switch box. I wonder if raising this point to MOTU will be of any use... The routing Mixer is indeed a little daunting. I think I stared at if for an hour before I heard a sound come out of the speakers! Getting more comfy though.. I have one interface in the machine room, and another in a rack in the control room, connected via Ethernet. ITs so cool having all those ins and outs next to the patch bay to use with DP's new hardware insert plug in!
Old 31st August 2016
I've been running two for about a year now. It does take awhile to get the hang of the routing matrix, but it's pretty cool once you do, i.e. naming ins and outs, etc.

They sound great and Tech support is top notch. Couldn't be happier.
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Head

Sorry to sabotage the thread... Robby, what console are you using these days? I recall your name in some of the Toft message boards a while back. Still using an ATB? If so, still recommend it?
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

How are you guys connecting your 16a? Are they reliable over USB?
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Head

Mine works flawlessly over USB with OSX El Capitan. I haven't taxed it with a massive number of simultaneous inputs or anything, but it connects easily with zero drop outs or snags. One feature I like about it is that I'm able to use it as my OSX audio out while simultaneously running PT 12 without having to use a silly CoreAudio app.
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Addict
I've ran mine usb for a while then thunderbolt now Mac OS 10/10 rock solid on both
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks guys.. Anyone using it via USB with Windows?
Old 1st September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Steeze View Post
Sorry to sabotage the thread... Robby, what console are you using these days? I recall your name in some of the Toft message boards a while back. Still using an ATB? If so, still recommend it?
Yea, I still think it's a great bang for the buck. A couple gripes - the Master section is noisy. Work around: - keep master fader down 5 dB and push channel faders. Make up gain through Master inserts (Vari-Mu). The low end of the eq section gets mushy when pushed. Work around - push low end through other means.

16As connected via Thunderbolt.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Used my 16a via adat to 112d, which will now be via adat with the Antelope Goliath. I'm at 96k though, so I only get 8 channels from the 16a this way. Using it for my Integra7 module outputs.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone have their AVB unit just crap-the bucket? My 1248 is acting bizarre overnight with nothing being rerouted correctly in the internal mixer and now refuses to even be seen correctly by Windows10 at all. Even using Stand-alone mixer nothing is coming through the Main or Monitor depicted all Mutes and Levels being correct. Looks like an RMA is in my future.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Uninstall and Re Install of the AVB drivers in Windows seems to have fixed connectivity issues. . Another Firmware update came out today and after updating that seemed to clear up the weird internal mixer problems I was having.
Old 11th October 2016
Has anyone tried this with Logic X? I've been debating pulling the trigger but I'd like to know how stable it is first.
Old 24th November 2016
Lives for gear

Is anyone connecting to their computer via ethernet? how is that protocol running these days?
Old 7th September 2017
Here for the gear

I am running a working setup with a motu 1248 AVB and 24o AVB. Both connected to a motu switch. I have also connected two mac mini. One late 2011 i7 and one mid 2014 i5. Both are clnnected through Apples implementation of AVB/TSN. I use one as DAW and the other as DSP for realtime VST fx like reverb. At the same time i have a macbook pro connected through thunderbolt, for low latency VSTi, using it for superior drummer and my e-drums.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Used my 16a via adat to 112d, which will now be via adat with the Antelope Goliath. I'm at 96k though, so I only get 8 channels from the 16a this way. Using it for my Integra7 module outputs.
Hey brother Squawk!

I take it you have to run that SR for the way you have the Goliath set. The INTEGRA, AFAICR, runs 48kHz-and-below samples, depending upon which ROM cards / modelling you're using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Is anyone connecting to their computer via ethernet? how is that protocol running these days?
I'd love to know if Apple has improved the realtime efficiency (latency, effectively). Been vacillating between USB and AVB ethernet for a long time now as my (restarted due to being ripped off the first time 'round) lay-buy slowly grows.

Ethernet, last time I checked, will give me 9ms throughput latency, whereas USB will impose around half that, but with a 64 I/O channel limitation.

A reduction in Apple's latency (via PCI ethernet card) will surely tip the scales back to the AVB ethernet option for me. That way I wouldn't have to sell any synths in order to squeeze their outputs into the USB-imposed channel limit...
Old 8th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
I'd love to know if Apple has improved the realtime efficiency (latency, effectively). Been vacillating between USB and AVB ethernet for a long time now as my (restarted due to being ripped off the first time 'round) lay-buy slowly grows.

Ethernet, last time I checked, will give me 9ms throughput latency, whereas USB will impose around half that, but with a 64 I/O channel limitation.

A reduction in Apple's latency (via PCI ethernet card) will surely tip the scales back to the AVB ethernet option for me. That way I wouldn't have to sell any synths in order to squeeze their outputs into the USB-imposed channel limit...
You can run both usb and avb on the same mac. You would just have to run two different audio host programmes.
Latency is not a big issue for me, since I primarily use avb ethernet for non-realtime applications.

I.e. Use thunderbolt for low latency, and forward midi input through network to my DAW running AVB
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, I only run one DAW 'though (DP), Nicolai.

The other part of the equation that I forgot to mention is the extra PCI slot required for the ethernet card. I'd have to sacrifice 4 USB3 ports in order to use AVB over ethernet.

The longer this drags on for 'though, the more-likely it is that I'll go this way as the lay-buy deposit grows and approaches the point where I can afford the extra interface necessary to accommodate the outboard synths without having to sell any.

Either way, I've been pumped for over two years now as I anticipate the awesome sound quality I'll finally be able to enjoy. Been following the progress of these things since the day they came to market, and if it weren't for losing my first lay-buy deposit (15 months' worth!), I'd have been sorted late last year.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Hey brother Squawk!

I take it you have to run that SR for the way you have the Goliath set. The INTEGRA, AFAICR, runs 48kHz-and-below samples, depending upon which ROM cards / modelling you're using.

Hi Monkey,

That's right, I'm working at 96k for the most part these days.

I actually ended up selling my Motu unit and Integra since then. Had to fund my upgrade to the Goliath HD unit, as I was having issues with the standard Goliath. Also had to fund a Chandler Redd microphone purchase

The new Motu stuff is great though. If it wasn't for needing cash, I would have kept it. Can't say enough good things about it. I think what they've done is really cool. I didn't really test out AVB though when I had those units here, as my main interface (RME Madiface XT) is connected via ePCIE, and I use MADI for most things.
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Maniac

My 1248 is rock solid now over USB and Windows 10 with the last few driver updates. The 1248 only has 14 built-in Analog ins, and I've never run more over USB, so I can't vouch for more (but the 14 work great). The DSP mixer is great, but there's a learning curve. The sound is great.

Does everyone's MOTU AVB stuff take like a minute to boot up? Every other interface I've used (FireWire or USB) fires right up, but the 1248 takes a minute (ok half a minute) before any sound comes out.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, I've noticed the slow boot-up time on my 16A. It's the only annoyance I have with that unit, but one I'm willing to live with. I might just get it its own outlet so it stays on instead of shutting off via my power conditioner.
Old 9th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbratcher View Post
Does everyone's MOTU AVB stuff take like a minute to boot up? Every other interface I've used (FireWire or USB) fires right up, but the 1248 takes a minute (ok half a minute) before any sound comes out.
I believe the reason is that the OS (linux) needs to be loaded to provide the webservice being used for the mixer/OSC. It has never been an issue for me, cause i boot my mac minis at the same time.
Old 9th September 2017
Here for the gear
Been having a 16A since 2015, no problems so far. I use it mainly for tracking and it has proven to be extremely reliable. I'm really happy with the way it sounds too, i feel my productions have stepped a notch since I started using it.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Always great to hear reports like that, Felipe.

I'm counting on the step up in sound quality in the hope that it'll make all my crappy music acceptable.
Old 10th September 2017
din
Gear Maniac

I have a 16A as well. It sounds great and has low latency. The software routing interface is ****ing rubbish though. That UI needs a complete redesign.
Old 17th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Chiming in as I've just received my new 16A, as an upgrade from my 828mkii, and I'm very impressed so far. Very clear, everything worked right away, the browser / config system is cool.

Audio wise I need to give it more time, but it sounds clearer for sure, and there's definitely way more headroom than the 828, which is great - I can push my outboard a lot harder now without overloading my inputs

And of course tons of io.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Addict

Anybody care to post some audio done on the 16a?
Old 5th March 2018
din
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxplayerz View Post
Anybody care to post some audio done on the 16a?
I recorded my band's last EP on the MOTU 16A. I didn't mix it though.

Throne of Saturn
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search