The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 16a thoughts Audio Interfaces
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Guru

So I have a MOTU 828mk3 and want to upgrade to the 16A, and get rid of the 828, the one thing holding me back is how is monitoring done, like on the 828mk3 there is a main monitor set of outs on the unit for studio monitors, on the 16A do you simply use one of the sets of outputs like 1&2 and route the DAW main mix to these..?
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

@ fiddlestickz

That's correct. It'll default to outputs 1/2 but you can of course assign whatever.

After several weeks with the 16a I'm still glad I got it. Using it over USB currently - the connection can be a little finicky sometimes, but is solid once everything is recognized. This might be a problem with my setup though since I'm using several USB hubs together.

One thing i find annoying is that you need to use an ethernet cable to update the firmware.... pretty weird.

Last edited by antiguru; 23rd April 2018 at 03:18 PM..
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiguru View Post
One thing i find annoying is that you need to use an ethernet cable to update the firmware.... pretty weird.
I'm about to finally get two 24Ai units and a 16A to run via USB for 64 I/O.

What's the deal with updating the firmware in a situation where 3 units are hooked up to the switch box and then to the 'puter via USB, antiguru? I understand if you don't know 'cause you're running a single interface.

Having to disconnect internet (modem ethernet connection) and buy additional cables that'll reach all 3 units sounds like a right PITA. Quite a lot of plugging / unplugging for every FW update there.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Guru

ok sounds good with the routing of main monitors being 1&2 outs.., I'm curious why use USB when thunderbolt is there..? are you using Windows machines or..? Thunderbolt would be the preffered cable to use right everytime..?
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Not on a 2012 Mac, unfortunately.

As Max Smart might've said, "I missed it by one model". The next-newest model is a trashcan and I'm not going there.
Old 31st July 2018
Here for the gear

My question is are any of you guys successfully running any of the new Motu AVB gear on windows via thunderbolt. I'm getting close to finally getting a new beastly daw computer built and wanted to upgrade to the motu stuff, but dont want to run over usb. Please tell me someone here has good news.

I realize my mobo has to be thunderbolt compatible, but assuming it is, i shouldnt have a problem right?
Old 14th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllicitOne View Post
My question is are any of you guys successfully running any of the new Motu AVB gear on windows via thunderbolt. I'm getting close to finally getting a new beastly daw computer built and wanted to upgrade to the motu stuff, but dont want to run over usb. Please tell me someone here has good news.

I realize my mobo has to be thunderbolt compatible, but assuming it is, i shouldnt have a problem right?
I’m running windows 10 pro w/ thunderbolt and two motu 16A’s no problems at all. I’m using a Asus X99 Deluxe II with Thunderbolt EX3. If your mobo has the thunderbolt header than you might be good.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search