The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 16a thoughts
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Guru

So I have a MOTU 828mk3 and want to upgrade to the 16A, and get rid of the 828, the one thing holding me back is how is monitoring done, like on the 828mk3 there is a main monitor set of outs on the unit for studio monitors, on the 16A do you simply use one of the sets of outputs like 1&2 and route the DAW main mix to these..?
Old 23rd April 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

@ fiddlestickz

That's correct. It'll default to outputs 1/2 but you can of course assign whatever.

After several weeks with the 16a I'm still glad I got it. Using it over USB currently - the connection can be a little finicky sometimes, but is solid once everything is recognized. This might be a problem with my setup though since I'm using several USB hubs together.

One thing i find annoying is that you need to use an ethernet cable to update the firmware.... pretty weird.

Last edited by antiguru; 23rd April 2018 at 03:18 PM..
Old 24th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiguru View Post
One thing i find annoying is that you need to use an ethernet cable to update the firmware.... pretty weird.
I'm about to finally get two 24Ai units and a 16A to run via USB for 64 I/O.

What's the deal with updating the firmware in a situation where 3 units are hooked up to the switch box and then to the 'puter via USB, antiguru? I understand if you don't know 'cause you're running a single interface.

Having to disconnect internet (modem ethernet connection) and buy additional cables that'll reach all 3 units sounds like a right PITA. Quite a lot of plugging / unplugging for every FW update there.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Guru

ok sounds good with the routing of main monitors being 1&2 outs.., I'm curious why use USB when thunderbolt is there..? are you using Windows machines or..? Thunderbolt would be the preffered cable to use right everytime..?
Old 24th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Not on a 2012 Mac, unfortunately.

As Max Smart might've said, "I missed it by one model". The next-newest model is a trashcan and I'm not going there.
Old 31st July 2018
Here for the gear

My question is are any of you guys successfully running any of the new Motu AVB gear on windows via thunderbolt. I'm getting close to finally getting a new beastly daw computer built and wanted to upgrade to the motu stuff, but dont want to run over usb. Please tell me someone here has good news.

I realize my mobo has to be thunderbolt compatible, but assuming it is, i shouldnt have a problem right?
Old 14th September 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllicitOne View Post
My question is are any of you guys successfully running any of the new Motu AVB gear on windows via thunderbolt. I'm getting close to finally getting a new beastly daw computer built and wanted to upgrade to the motu stuff, but dont want to run over usb. Please tell me someone here has good news.

I realize my mobo has to be thunderbolt compatible, but assuming it is, i shouldnt have a problem right?
I’m running windows 10 pro w/ thunderbolt and two motu 16A’s no problems at all. I’m using a Asus X99 Deluxe II with Thunderbolt EX3. If your mobo has the thunderbolt header than you might be good.
Old 25th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Nu-tra, you still using / liking the motu 16A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I’m running windows 10 pro w/ thunderbolt and two motu 16A’s no problems at all. I’m using a Asus X99 Deluxe II with Thunderbolt EX3. If your mobo has the thunderbolt header than you might be good.

Last edited by once a roadie; 14th March 2020 at 01:23 PM..
Old 14th March 2020 | Show parent
I don't. I use the Apollo X16 now. The difference isn't that big. I kinda hate the apollo because of the console but I guess I have to get use to it.
Old 23rd March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Thanks Nu-tra!
Old 26th April 2020
Lives for gear

I can't think of any other audio interface with so many analogue inputs. Would have been nice to have 1 or 2 mic pre's but it's pretty impressive to get 16! Does anyone sell ADAT expanders with only analog inputs - all of the ones i've seen have mic preamps which drive the price right up.
Old 7th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
I can't think of any other audio interface with so many analogue inputs. Would have been nice to have 1 or 2 mic pre's but it's pretty impressive to get 16! Does anyone sell ADAT expanders with only analog inputs - all of the ones i've seen have mic preamps which drive the price right up.
I've been looking at this as well. At least in the MOTU ecosystem, they solve the problem of expandability by making all of their new line linkable via AVB. So you need pres? Get the 8pre-es. You need headphone and monitor outs? Get the Monitor 8. Do you just need analog inputs? Get the 8A or 16A. It's a cool ecosystem, especially when you want to use their routing and mixing software across the entire setup.

A bit pricier than what I think you're imagining (ADAT expansion with just analog inputs, no frills), but it solves the problem by being cleverly modular.

I'm debating how to best expand my 828es, which has a really useful and well-rounded feature set as a stand-alone.
Lives for gear

Do you know if it is possible to get an ADAT expander of just 1/4 analog inputs or inputs and outputs?

I'm leaning towards the RME just because of what everyone says about driver stability / reliability, long term driver support and latency. Everyone seems to make it sound like you almost have to buy RME to get something decent.

I was thinking of the UC but it's so old now I figure it will soon be superseded. The only option to get Thunderbolt type latencies and something up to date with current USB C and Thunderbolt is the UFX+ which is considerably more. £2000 is a lot of cash for just a project / hobbyist studio though but I suppose it's not bad if you keep it a decade +

You get way more bang for your buck with MOTU it seems. Whether that comes at a cost or not I'm not sure.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you know if it is possible to get an ADAT expander of just 1/4 analog inputs or inputs and outputs?

I'm leaning towards the RME just because of what everyone says about driver stability / reliability, long term driver support and latency. Everyone seems to make it sound like you almost have to buy RME to get something decent.

I was thinking of the UC but it's so old now I figure it will soon be superseded. The only option to get Thunderbolt type latencies and something up to date with current USB C and Thunderbolt is the UFX+ which is considerably more. £2000 is a lot of cash for just a project / hobbyist studio though but I suppose it's not bad if you keep it a decade +

You get way more bang for your buck with MOTU it seems. Whether that comes at a cost or not I'm not sure.
I haven't seen an ADAT unit like that, and agree if it doesn't exist it is a hole in the marketplace, as I'd love something like that with great conversion.

I think it hasn't happened because many audio interfaces can function that way (ADAT in/outs, with line ins), but you do end up paying for the extras (usually pres).

As a live sound engineer first, I can't speak to how the new line of MOTU products compare to something like the RME (which sound damn good in videos I've heard), but for the price and features it was the perfect solution to get more into recording for me. And to my ear, they sound great, have excellent features, and are easily expandable, as I mentioned in my previous post.

Higher priced dedicated conversion is too rich for my blood for now - too many other things from more treatment and better mics for me to worry about first.
Gear Nut

Quote:

All MOTU AVB series can run standalone and manage off network, route the adat in/out however you want. 24i/o goes really cheap these days on 2nd hand market like reverb.

Besides those Ferrofish pulse 16 fits the bill. If you need something dirt cheap there's always a 2nd hand Profire 2626 someone want to ditch and run them in standalone mode
Gear Addict
I like the concept of the browser based settings App, but sometimes my 16A is just unresponsive to changes for example: I have to click the routings on and off several times for it to recognize the change or sometimes the analog out volume knob changes won't register.

Will this maybe work better over Thunderbolt? I'm on USB right now.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbot View Post
I like the concept of the browser based settings App, but sometimes my 16A is just unresponsive to changes for example: I have to click the routings on and off several times for it to recognize the change or sometimes the analog out volume knob changes won't register.

Will this maybe work better over Thunderbolt? I'm on USB right now.
That might be it. No such issues with my 828es over Thunderbolt. And the firmware update that just came out talks about "USB compatibility with x99 chipset based systems." Not sure if that's relevant to you but thought it worth mentioning.
Old 30th May 2020
Here for the gear

Just got my 16a and slowly getting my head around the routing. Does anyone know how I might create a master insert with the routing matrix?

I'm looking to send the main mix out to my processing chain.
Old 30th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge_ View Post
Just got my 16a and slowly getting my head around the routing. Does anyone know how I might create a master insert with the routing matrix?

I'm looking to send the main mix out to my processing chain.
I just do this with my DAW (logic has a handy I/O plug-in). I tried for a few minutes to route it that way via the MOTU but this was much easier.

What DAW do you use?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
I just do this with my DAW (logic has a handy I/O plug-in). I tried for a few minutes to route it that way via the MOTU but this was much easier.

What DAW do you use?
I use Logic for mixdowns and Ableton for recording.

Good shout on the I/O plugin, so that's mixdowns covered.

I do like to have the master/main mix running through my processing chain at all times. That's what I'd like to achieve. But there doesn't seem to be a way to set up an insert with the routing matrix?

Prior to buying the 16a I was using a hardware mixer which had a master insert which was great for this. I could send the Logic master out to it with the I/O plugin but also the master channel on the mixer was always going through the processing chain before it hit the computer.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use Logic for mixdowns and Ableton for recording.

Good shout on the I/O plugin, so that's mixdowns covered.

I do like to have the master/main mix running through my processing chain at all times. That's what I'd like to achieve. But there doesn't seem to be a way to set up an insert with the routing matrix?

Prior to buying the 16a I was using a hardware mixer which had a master insert which was great for this. I could send the Logic master out to it with the I/O plugin but also the master channel on the mixer was always going through the processing chain before it hit the computer.
I may be misunderstanding you, but the I/O does function like an insert on the master - so I can "mix into" my compressor, for example. Is this different from what you're describing with your hardware insert?
Here for the gear

Quote:
I may be misunderstanding you, but the I/O does function like an insert on the master - so I can "mix into" my compressor, for example. Is this different from what you're describing with your hardware insert?
No it's not different, same thing. But I only used the I/O plugin when mixing down.

I don't use a DAW until it's time to record. Maybe that will help explain what I'm trying to achieve - I would like to do this without using a DAW.
Lives for gear

Quote:
No it's not different, same thing. But I only used the I/O plugin when mixing down.

I don't use a DAW until it's time to record. Maybe that will help explain what I'm trying to achieve - I would like to do this without using a DAW.
Oh, I see. That makes sense!

I'd be very surprised if it isn't possible with the MOTU routing matrix, but when I did try it, it wasn't as straightforward as I thought (assigning "computer out" to two outputs, and then physically patching back into two inputs). Don't know why it didn't do what I thought it would when I tried it, but I didn't spend too much time since I could do it with I/O.

I'd honestly reach out to MOTU and see if they can help walk you through it. It's probably something really simple that we aren't intuitively seeing on the user interface.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Oh, I see. That makes sense!

I'd be very surprised if it isn't possible with the MOTU routing matrix, but when I did try it, it wasn't as straightforward as I thought (assigning "computer out" to two outputs, and then physically patching back into two inputs). Don't know why it didn't do what I thought it would when I tried it, but I didn't spend too much time since I could do it with I/O.

I'd honestly reach out to MOTU and see if they can help walk you through it. It's probably something really simple that we aren't intuitively seeing on the user interface.
Yeah good shout, I've heard the tech support is good.

What you've described is what I've done today. I have routed the main mix to two outputs, the cables from those outputs go through my processing chain then they go back into two inputs and in the matrix those are routed to the outputs that go to my monitors. It works, but I'm getting some horrible feedback and I've narrowed in down to my saturation unit. Not sure what's causing it yet too early to say. I'll troubleshoot again tomorrow.
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Hey guys! I am planning on buying one for its amount of I/O. How do u find the conversion quality ? What can u compare with ?

Thanks so much!
Old 31st May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

From everything I've read having monitored it since its release several years ago, it's stellar and you won't get this kind of conversion quality (both directions) for anywhere near the price anywhere else.
Old 15th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I 've got a new MOTU 16A and very happy with it.

Since I need to route my signals through different devices I was thinking about a patchbay.

But since the routing possibilities within the interface are so vast was considering to use the local host software to do so.

Only question arises:

- When I go in to the interface with an audio signal and I go out of it straight away into my analog mixer, does this signal being converted A/D and then D/A into my mixer again?

- Or it remains all analog until I go into my DAW?

Thank you
Old 5th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:

Motu does have long term driver support which was the sole reason why I ditched my Focusrites and switched to Motu. The Clarett and Scarlett interface are classified as Prosumer interfaces hence why Focusrite broken up into two divisions Prosumer and Professional. Pro Audio products typically have longer driver support opposed to Prosumer gear that I've notice. MOTU makes mostly pro interfaces like RME, Apollo, Esemble etc. Lynx, RME and MOTU all still make drivers for its legacy products relased in the early 2000s. Every since I switched to the MOTU 828ES, I never looked back. One of best and most rock solid stable interfaces I've owned to date. Drivers are big setup from Focusrite forsure as the latency as wayy lower. Converters sounds amazing with noticeable clarity in the mids, tigher bottom end with a 3D sound stage.
Old 6th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Anybody using the a pair of ins/outs on the 16a for SMPTE in/out? The 828es has dedicated time code ins/outs but the literature for most older MOTU devices states that any analog input and output can be configured for this. The 16a has exactly the number of analog outs I'd need if this will work.
Old 21st August 2020
din
Gear Maniac

Not sure if I'm following you exactly, but you only need a basic ethernet cable to connect the 16A to the 828ES, at which point, you can set either unit as the master clock.
📝 Reply