The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIYO versus Audient (or other Burr Brown audio interface). Anyone? Digital Converters
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Nut

MIYO versus Audient (or other Burr Brown audio interface). Anyone?

Dear Gearslutz,

It seems that most of the latest audio interfaces uses Burr Brown convertors.
These convertors seems to be very popular in terms of quality and affordability.
Probably I am wrong, but to me those interfaces must all come close soundwise (using the same convertors).

MIYO seems to be of a whole other league somehow.
People here on the forum say it's 10 times the quality of other audio interfaces within the same price range.

Did anyone compare H2 Designs' MIYO against the Audient interfaces (iD14, iD22), which also use the (TI) Burr Brown convertors?

More info about MIYO:
https://gomiyo.com

I am really curious what your findings are, since MIYO seems to be the ticket (although it's a pity it doesn't have any (high quality) onboard preamp, like Audient has)...
Old 29th August 2016
Lives for gear

Don't be so focused on particular conversion chip vendor.. it's important part of course, but just one piece of puzzle.
I haven't compared MIYO (I've toyed with idea of buying one just for fun after spending some time with borrowed Apogee Groove, but it seems to be unavailable for delivery now) to iD range, but as you've mentioned those are essentially very different class of interfaces with different feature set.
MIYO can be nice for someone, who's looking for super portable and bus powered device with unbalanced 1/8in I/Os, while iD is more of normal balanced I/O, desktop interface with preamps and options for possible further expansion.
So if you're looking for new interface purchase, I'd focus on basic feature set first (I/O's, purpose) and then to some possibly interesting internals like chip vendor. And even with knowledge of that, only chance how to really evaluate, is by your own listening with your material and rest of playback chain.

Michal
Old 29th August 2016
Gear Nut

Thank you very much, Michal, for your valuable insight
Old 15th January 2017
Here for the gear

Take a look at the specs and see! The devices you're mentioning are actually pretty well characterized in their specifications, unlike a number of high end ADC/DAC combinations available for studio use.

Judging from those (and especially, the THD+N rated), the MIYO is considerably better than the iD14, at least, and while the harmonic distortion may not be particularly noticeable going from .002% to .0002%, the noise floor component of the measurement probably is. Recording in quiet spaces with quiet mics, you can probably hear noise in the signal a ways down, and probably lower than the rated -94dB or so of the ADC of the iD14, whereas the MIYO is rated to be quite quieter.

There is definitely a limit where you're not going to hear much better (and I don't think it's much beyond the iD14 spec in most situations), and then there's a limit to the resolution of the ADC and distortion of the input stage (around -110 to -120dB even with some very sophisticated design and construction techniques), but at least in the class of devices you're mentioning, there should be a noticeable difference.

It's worth noting that in the input signal chain, you've got the TI/Burr Brown part that's an op amp before the ADC, and then the ADC itself (or in reverse, the DAC to op amp) is doing the conversion and I don't believe Burr Brown every manufactured them, even now it's effectively only a brand name.

As a sort of disclaimer after mentioning all the specs stuff, they are a good indicator of performance, but they don't paint the whole picture. THD+N, for example, is typically only measured for a specific frequency (usually 1kHz) and will differ across the audio band. Things like frequency response flatness plays a big factor in the 'coloring' of the sound that may happen with an interface and it is almost never specified. If you're given the specs, you can get an idea of the kind of parts being used and the likely output quality, but you've gotta hear and measure it yourself to be sure. Especially with the really highly spec'd individual parts, you can start running into crosstalk, power supply noise, or other issues with different designs at the PCB level that can make actual performance differ pretty considerably from advertised part specs, so you really have to do your evaluation of the performance of the unit as a whole, since using a good opamp or DAC is not going to guarantee you the performance specs it advertises.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search