The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone with experience using Apollo Twin *USB* on Windows 10? Audio Interfaces
Old 20th August 2016
Here for the gear

Anyone with experience using Apollo Twin *USB* on Windows 10?

Hi everyone!

I am planning upgrading my audio gear in the near future (currently I use Focusrite Scarlett 2i2), and I am torn between, as is usually the case in this price point (and use, home studio) - Babyface Pro and Apollo Twin USB.

I will be using a PC so I am asking specifically about the USB version. I know the Twin will dig a much deeper hole in my bank account (which is not that deep to begin with) because of all the added plugins; I understand that already upon registration of the product you are offered a one-time purchase of a bundle of plugins (size of bundle is at your choice) at a reduced price, for example.

Since I do not know anyone who owns the Apollo yet, I am wondering if anyone here has experience with it and can share it. More accurately - I know RME is a very good choice as well, with rock solid drivers (exactly what I'm afraid the twin will NOT have), and is also USB 2 compatible. The Twin *requires* USB 3, and I have already seen that with some USB 3 controllers it doesn't work well, which is another thing to worry about.

I have seen from posts here that the first batches of Babyface Pro had trouble with the buttons - the big volume knob would go off the unit, and some buttons would need a forceful press to react. Since then I have seen other posts saying some of those issues were corrected by RME in next batches.

I will also admit I like the prospect of having an Apollo better not just because of the plugins, but for a far stupider reason - I like how it looks much better. The buttons seem bigger and more comfortable, and the Babyface looks more like a toy compared to it. I'm sure that sound-wise they are about the same when it comes to A/D-D/A performance, but it is still part of my doubts about the RME device.

So, if a lot of my work will be with VSTis, but I will also record - mostly vocals and stuff like guitars or keyboards directly into the unit, which is the better choice here you think? Is the Apollo really worth the (hefty) premium price for the plugins? Will they actually make a difference considering my sources for sound mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search