The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ReaFIR Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Maniac

ReaFIR

So, last night I played around with Reaper's ReaFIR plugin's EQ section. And to my suprise, it sounded awesome.. And I mean really, really awesome.. After setting the windowing to +30000 samples of latency, hardly any other eq I had (including many Nebula, Slate etc) could compete with it's capabilities of 'lifting' and brightening things up etc. And I was wondering, why?

I'm not really in the know about filter designs, FIR's, FFT's, IIR's and such.. But I suspect the answer lies somewhere there.

So my question is, why does it sound so awesome and unique against 'basic' algo eq's, and even some of Nebula's? And since ReaFIR is really cumbersome to use, are there any other EQ's that use same type of 'high latency filtering aspect using something something something' that ReaFIR does, but with a little more usable UI? DMG EQuilibrium perhaps?
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Maniac

To continue my monologue, yesterday I demoed the EQuilibrium, and minus the workflow, I still preferred ReaFIR, even when using EQuilibrium with higher quality settings..

So, maybe it's about the filter curves, or maybe ReaFIR is doing something extra under the hood..? Any ideas or experiences with ReaFIR?
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
To continue my monologue, yesterday I demoed the EQuilibrium, and minus the workflow, I still preferred ReaFIR, even when using EQuilibrium with higher quality settings..
Can you post audio demonstrating an application where ReaFIR sounds better to you? Unprocessed vs. ReaFIR vs. EQuilibrium? I'm curious about ReaFIR's potential, but haven't worked with it.

Here are two more free-form EQ's for you to consider:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeformEqualizer

Linear-phase spline equalizer plugin (AAX, AU, VST) - Voxengo CurveEQ - Voxengo

I'm not sure whether they use FIR.
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear
This page explains FIR and compares to IIR EQ. Maybe it will help. In general, FIR is more phase coherent. It's a generalization, but I think many would describe and FIR EQ as 'transparent', and an IIR EQ as adding 'color'.

https://www.minidsp.com/applications...-iir-filtering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
So, last night I played around with Reaper's ReaFIR plugin's EQ section. And to my suprise, it sounded awesome.. And I mean really, really awesome.. After setting the windowing to +30000 samples of latency, hardly any other eq I had (including many Nebula, Slate etc) could compete with it's capabilities of 'lifting' and brightening things up etc. And I was wondering, why?

I'm not really in the know about filter designs, FIR's, FFT's, IIR's and such.. But I suspect the answer lies somewhere there.

So my question is, why does it sound so awesome and unique against 'basic' algo eq's, and even some of Nebula's? And since ReaFIR is really cumbersome to use, are there any other EQ's that use same type of 'high latency filtering aspect using something something something' that ReaFIR does, but with a little more usable UI? DMG EQuilibrium perhaps?
Old 21st August 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbruner View Post
Can you post audio demonstrating an application for ReaFIR sounds better to you? Unprocessed vs. ReaFIR vs. EQuilibrium?
Yup, post a dry file so we can try to match the sound. Should be fun.
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

p.s.

The ReaEffects Guide says ReaFIR isn't FIR unless the "Reduce Artifacts switch" is turned on. The PDF won't let me copy/paste the exact text, but it's here:

REAPER | User Guide

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search