The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interface suggestions? Audio Interfaces
Old 19th August 2016
Here for the gear

Interface suggestions?

Another newbie question here...

As stated in my previous post, I am a longtime home recordist who is finally looking to upgrade all of my primitive gear after many, many years. Since I am primarily a guitarist, I previously used the Line 6 UX2 interface for all of my instruments since that's what I started out on a decade ago.

I am currently looking at a couple of simple interface options to go with my new setup: either the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or the PreSonus Audio Box iTwo. These both seem to be very popular and well-regarded models.

I record mostly by myself and never need to record more than one instrument at a time, so I don't need anything too fancy. I basically record electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, keyboards and occasional vocals. And that's about it. I can't imagine needing anything with more than 2 instrument/mic inputs. I'm guessing that most of the time, I'll just be using 1, but I want to have the option to use a couple of mics on acoustic guitar parts.

So... Does anyone have a preference when it comes to Focusrite vs. PreSonus? Seems like they have very similar specs, and maybe one doesn't necessarily have a big advantage over the other (I'm leaning toward Focusrite at the moment). Or maybe you have some recommendations for other low-priced interfaces? Thanks.
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Take a look at the Audient iD14 (or even iD4). It will cover what you need, and there will be no need for an external preamp.

With it, you can plug in guitars like you did with your UX2 and 2 mics as you please. The iD4 only has one preamp, but a lesser price.
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefruit View Post
Take a look at the Audient iD14 (or even iD4). It will cover what you need, and there will be no need for an external preamp.

With it, you can plug in guitars like you did with your UX2 and 2 mics as you please. The iD4 only has one preamp, but a lesser price.
+1
Old 20th August 2016
Gear Addict

I ordered an ID4 today, just for portable use. Not sure that specific model would suit you due to too few ins, but overall, I don't think there's a better package for such a low price. Google them and check the feedback/reviews.
Old 20th August 2016
Have been a happy Audient iD14 owner for a while now and it really does all I need for my acoustic guitar recordings. A couple examples are in my soundcloud.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search