The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are there any opensource programs that will work with an Original Mbox? Audio Interfaces
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Are there any opensource programs that will work with an Original Mbox?

i found some old irreplaceable cassettes i wanted to feed into my computer, but i only have an iTrack solo atm. so i only have my onboard laptops sound card or an iTrak solo. both leave me in mono. but i do have a dusty Mbox, with that i could go stereo in, but its so old i dont even know if it would be recognised by Windows 10.

ive been out of the rat race for a few years now so im rusty. but you guys have always been helpful. so i figured id ask.
Old 18th August 2016
Pretty sure the M boxes all run protools exclusively so you could probably only run it within that architecture although you would probably need protools 8 or later and by the time you buy that, it would be cheaper just to buy a new interface. a little more info on my quick research. Original MBox with Windows Vista or Windows 7 - Avid Pro Audio Community

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1400 View Post
i found some old irreplaceable cassettes i wanted to feed into my computer, but i only have an iTrack solo atm. so i only have my onboard laptops sound card or an iTrak solo. both leave me in mono. but i do have a dusty Mbox, with that i could go stereo in, but its so old i dont even know if it would be recognised by Windows 10.

ive been out of the rat race for a few years now so im rusty. but you guys have always been helpful. so i figured id ask.
What operating system are you using and how comfortable are you messing with things?
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
What operating system are you using and how comfortable are you messing with things?

Im on Win10 i just plugged it up and its usb wont even illuminate. i have learned that its possible a power thing, so....we may be going on an adventure!!!

i love my old Mbox, but i havent used it much it about 10 years.

i found this,

Digidesign Mbox 1 Standalone Mod | Zach Poff

if this works it would be perfect for casette and vynil transfers, (for me)

errr...just finished reading this...everything sounds fine till the last sentance "now your mbox will work w/o a computer"

huh? what point would that have?
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

None of the original DIGI drivers are working for you on WIN10 even with compatibility mode? MBOX and DIGI001 are listed as valid devices. If you need to update the firmware to make them work you might be SOL unless you can get your hands on a Mac.

Digidesign ASIO Driver for Windows XP

Standalone Digidesign Windows Audio Drivers
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
None of the original DIGI drivers are working for you on WIN10 even with compatibility mode? MBOX and DIGI001 are listed as valid devices. If you need to update the firmware to make them work you might be SOL unless you can get your hands on a Mac.

Digidesign ASIO Driver for Windows XP

Standalone Digidesign Windows Audio Drivers

i skipped the XP, but im going to run the v7.4 stand alone. im hoping it gets recognised, im using Props Reason 7 atm.

ill keep you posted and thanks for the links!
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

UPDATE for future refrence in case someone googles the same question in a few years time.

no go. the system archetecture of the post XP windows doesnt jibe. its not a matter of "open source" or using Reaper, Audacity, Reason etc...

its a Windows thing, not a DAW thing.

from what i understand it will still work on a mac with tweaking, and with ubuntu no problem.

that is all. thats everyone for the help.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for doing the works and reporting back.

Can always get a large USB Stick and run Ubuntu or Fedora on it, do your transfers and be done with it.

Or you could just buy a $35 two input USB audio interface and save yourself the hassle, technology has greatly advanced since that MBOX cam out I doubt you would be loosing much in the transfer.
Old 20th August 2016
Gear Addict

I have an old mBox. I was able to run it with Sonar no problem. It was not limited to ProTools. The thing is, they quit making drivers for it after around Vista. I think the last PT that worked with it was 7 or 8. So your problem is likely Windows 10. Ah, I missed your post about XP.

You can find an inexpensive Mbox2 on ebay. That is if you want to stick with Mboxes.

Why doesn't your laptop sound card do stereo? Mine will. It's not the best, but it is stereo.
Old 20th August 2016
Heb
Gear Maniac
Demo ASIO driver for USB audio soundcards

This driver works, at least the last time I tried it..
It's not free though.
There is a demo to download and try.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search