The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quality 2ch. Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 18th August 2016
Here for the gear

Quality 2ch. Interface

I've come to realize I don't need more than 2 channels of audio at the same time. I just switched over to mac (a Core i3, 2010 iMac) and my Alesis io26 is not gonna work.

I'm using almost no hardware and just need something quality. When I say quality I mean when I upgrade to a better preamp (I have my eyes on the Avalon V5) I don't want my A/D conversion to be a weak link.

I can't (from what I can tell) use thinderbolt on my iMac. So I need eother firewire or usb. I've been reading up on a lot of different converters and interfaces and need some realworld feed back.

I have looked at RME babyface, and Apogees small intertace, but are the converters as good on those as the bugger units?

Thanks for any help.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Have tried many includig Audient and Apogee Duet. Take Babyface Pro and don't look back. By far the best small interface. It sounds better than current UFX IMHO.
Old 18th August 2016
joh
Gear Maniac

uln-2 all the way
Old 18th August 2016
+1 on the Babyface Pro. Blown away by how good it sound. Pres, line inputs/outputs, headphones...all solid, not to mention solid drivers and the great Total Mix FX.
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Maniac

So, the suggestions are:

a current RME interface
one of the smaller Apogee interfaces
Audient iD22/iD14

You will not go wrong with any of these interfaces in regards to quality of preamps nor converters.
The difference will be in drivers, support and latency (besides the actual feature set of each product).

Myself I previously had an Apogee interface which they stopped supporting, so now I have an RME interface that I am sure will be supported for at least a decade.
I shopped for Audient as well, but decided against it on routing.
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Head

Zoom UAC-2 if you not want to blow your bank account. For the price you get good high dynamic converters, I believe it was 118db on input and 120db on output or something like that + very good latency performance via USB

I would at least test the Zoom against the Babyface to see if the extra $$$ is really worth it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search