The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is RME Babyface Pro's Converter the Same Quality as Other RME Interfaces? Audio Interfaces
Old 17th August 2016
Here for the gear

Is RME Babyface Pro's Converter the Same Quality as Other RME Interfaces?

Hi!

I was choosing between Apollo Twin DUO and RME Babyface Pro and after a lot of asking and researching, it's a consensus that Babyface has a better converter and a more stable driver on PC (if you want to argue about this, please don't. The real question is the one below!).

But what about Babyface Pro's converter compared to the more expensive RME interfaces like UC and UFX etc? I'm aware that they have different converters because of the difference of the number of inputs and outputs, but what about the quality? Is Babyface Pro's conversion quality the same as the more expensive ones?

Thanks a lot!
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear
I have the UC. When the newer version of the UFX was released alongside the original Babyface RME claimed the converters were upgraded. When the Babyface Pro was released RME claimed the converters were upgraded from those. The newest UFX+ is supposed to have the best converters yet of the RME line. Since I don't know what converters they use in any of their products I really can't confirm anything other than their press releases and I'm happy with the audio quality in my older UC.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear
A little advice here. Chasing Converter names is a waste of time unless your familiar with exact models. Even then the clock and analog path make a huge difference in audio quality. Both units will sound really good so I'd go with what features suit you best.
Old 18th August 2016
I wouldn't worry about minor differences in converters between those RME units. They will all sound great.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear
Well yeah the BFP is new and is using newer converter chips than those older products. There's an updated UFX coming out soon though.

The BFP sounds amazing, super clear, three dimensional and accurate. However with that said you should choose your RME product based on how many inputs/outputs and what functionality you need. If you just want the best RME converters you should look at their ADI converters.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

BFP sounds magnificent. I also have Apogee Symphony I/O (Mk1) which I stopped using two months ago due to the broken power supply and I used my Babyface Pro instead, that I initially bought for remote producing and recording.

I initially thought I would use it only for the meantime while waiting for a replacement power supply. Actually before my Symphony broke I haven't even plugged BFP in my studio and after I finally had to, I was so sorry I didn't actually do it before.

Despite the almost unreal specs of the Apogee Symphony, RME BFP sounds so much better...so much more natural, transparent and real. It does sound slightly better than Fireface UC that I had before to be honest. But all of the RME stuff sounds unhyped.

Currently I am debating about a larger scale interface to replace Symphony, since RME was such an eye opener for me and right now I am testing Antelope Orion Studio, next week I will try Focusrite Red4 Pre, then Apollo 8P, and then I hope RME will finally release UFX+, which I am 100% sure will be stunning.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search