The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why do they crash, how to find out why..? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Guru

Why do they crash, how to find out why..?

I don't frequent this sub forum very often but I have a question I need help with..

my mac mini has been crashing regularly for about a year, it's nothing major a quick reboot via the power button usually has me back up in action but I want to know why it does it..is there an application that I can run that will tell me what caused the crash so i can take steps to try and rectify it in the future..??

also is it possible to get power boards that smooth out dodgy power for my computer and synths..( modular ) or do I need proper power conditioners and do these work to help computer crashes..?
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Guru

Sorry forgot to add..

mac mini late 2012 model, mavericks OS 16 gig ram i5
MOTU 8 Pre is the only device connected to computer barring monitors..
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear
It's very helpful to eliminate the two most frequent hardware causes of crashes before delving into learning the arcane details of Crash Reporter for OS X.

I recommend that you start with getting an Uninterruptible Power Supply perhaps 750VA or more. That will do far more than any power conditioner could do for you, and yes, if the source of the computer crashes is power dips, then it'll certainly fix that. In addition, your synths will appreciate the consistent power.

The next hardware element to eliminate is the RAM in the Mac Mini. With your 16GB, you have two 8GB sticks, so it's an easy matter to run on just one stick to see if the machine is stable, and if so, swap it an run on just the other one for a while. You'll know pretty quickly whether you can have confidence in the RAM.

Only after doing these basic things with the power and the RAM would I then chase a software problem.
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Guru

Thanks, I have a feeling the power is dodgy in my old house, the wiring is 75 years old easily, I will look into the power first and see how we go..
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search