The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any audio interface that has just blown you away? Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikHz View Post
Biggest difference I noticed was a while back, maybe 10 years ago, when going form "budget" interfaces from Presonus and M-Audio to an RME Fireface 800. I think it's fair to say I was blown away by the sound and features at that time in a way that hasn't happened in recent years.
Since then I've stuck with RME for my main interfaces and owned some Apogees too which I've found were more or less in the same league.
This. And another less than sexy reason to love rme... It always works. It is like outboard in that respect.

Usb is always problematic (even with a daw tuned pc) with loss of handshake, etcetera.

Rme baby... Current drivers on even their oldest stuff. Works all the time every time. And affordable on the used market, too!
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear
Easy RME Multiface.

The drivers are fantastic, RME still update the drivers after must be 14 years!!!! (imagine that APPLE!)

The Latency can be 0.7ms the stability is perfect.

But I do use a HEDD 192 connected to it via AES as my converters when tracking and an Avocet for monitoring, but still RME make the best interfaces and their recent converters are great too.

I'd go for an RME interface everytime personally.
Old 12th September 2016
I have to say I'm extremely pleased with my Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt.
It's probably the first Interface that for my purposes has made me smile a lot!
Everything is simply laid out & intuitive and for my purposes includes all the features I've always wanted in the one unit.
I love the Maestro software and its plain & simple GUI.

I gotta say it sounds fabulous too...I think rather than being "blown away" it's given me a real sense of confidence & control so I can finally get down to the business of creating & recording.
It really looks, feels & sounds like quality.
Old 12th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I would say it doesn't sound as neutral and doesn't have as much depth. It is more upfront and very bright. So definitely hyped in a way, but somehow helps things to translate really well for me.
Hmmmm....wouldn't call the Zen Tour bright or hyped. But then again I haven't heard it in relation to the symphony. Compared to the ones I'm familiar with, Apollo, Focusrite, MOTU, M-Audio I find it simply more revealing and clear. With greater dimensionality and extension. Different perspective
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I would say it doesn't sound as neutral and doesn't have as much depth. It is more upfront and very bright. So definitely hyped in a way, but somehow helps things to translate really well for me.
That good to know! Im considering getting one for DA purposes only so it was either that one or the symphony mk2, i was looking at the horus but itll be in the 11k range to outfit it and i cant afford that at the moment.
Old 12th September 2016
Gear Maniac

I'd say that's an uninteresting question to ask.

Mainly since what "blows us away" is based on our present knowledge and preconceptions.

I was blown away when I got my Apogee Duet (Firewire). It was awesome. When I got my Clarett 8 pre I wasn't blown away and returned it (for other reasons mainly).
But now with my RME FF802 I was blown away again.

It's like drinking Cognac. If all you know is a nice brand VS, then VSOP will probably blow you away. As will a XO. If you then by mistake go from a VS to a 50 yo blend, you can never go back to VS or VSOP again.
Trust me!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search