The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cMP processor cage swap / plugin licenses? / system id Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Addict

cMP processor cage swap / plugin licenses? / system id

Hi there, I was thinking about getting a fast single cpu mac pro and use it's faster cpu for demanding tracking sessions.

for this I would need to swap the processor cage of the mac pros, does anyone know how this affects plugin licenses like native instruments and toontrack? when I migrate my ssd to another mac I have to relicense them and a few others (spectrasonics).

question is, will the machine ID change if I change/swap the processor cage?

salutes
lee
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Addict

What you are describing is expensive unless you have access to parts. My advice is to look up Mac of All Trades & invest in a 8 to 12 core 2010 cMP. Upgrading the CPU's in these machines is very easy & MUCH less risky than what you are describing. Good luck!
Old 15th August 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

I never encountered a cap on available NI authorisations.
Old 15th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serstickman View Post
What you are describing is expensive unless you have access to parts. My advice is to look up Mac of All Trades & invest in a 8 to 12 core 2010 cMP. Upgrading the CPU's in these machines is very easy & MUCH less risky than what you are describing. Good luck!
I already have a 12 core cMP, it only has 3ghz right now, I was thinking about a backup single cpu cMP with 3.47ghz, and then see how the they diverge in peak performance - there are quitea few plugs out which really make the 3ghz one peak, especially d16 group in pro tools

I was wondering if I can just swap the processor cages as needed, there is nothing dangerous about it, only uncertainty is if the machine id and thus licensing gets affected
Old 16th August 2016
Gear Addict
Selling the pair of 3 GHz CPUs and replacing them with a pair of 3.47 GHz CPUs is probably cheaper than swapping the mainboard.

Either way, the machine ID will change. I don't know about Toontrack but you needn't worry about NI.
Old 16th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemeister View Post
Selling the pair of 3 GHz CPUs and replacing them with a pair of 3.47 GHz CPUs is probably cheaper than swapping the mainboard.

Either way, the machine ID will change. I don't know about Toontrack but you needn't worry about NI.
processor cage, not motherboard

so nobody know if changing the processor cage will change the machine ID? motherboard stays the same

Last edited by tomylee; 17th August 2016 at 04:11 AM..
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Addict
No, changing the cage won't affect the machine ID because it's just a mechanical part. But in order to run a single CPU you'll have to replace the processor tray and THAT changes the machine ID.
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemeister View Post
No, changing the cage won't affect the machine ID because it's just a mechanical part. But in order to run a single CPU you'll have to replace the processor tray and THAT changes the machine ID.
that's what I meant, thanks for clarification
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search