The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My mixes don't seem "up close".
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Your mixes sound pretty good to me, two cheap things I would suggest you could try.

Download REW and take some measurements of your room, you say it is treated but not how or if you fine tuned the treatment with measurements. There is a big difference between applying treatment and measuring and just putting a few bits of treatment by 'guess work'. For example I probably took close to 150 measurements in my room, moving the speakers 1-2cm can make a lot of difference.

Buy Magic AB, it is fantastic for quick referencing inside a DAW, I couldn't imagine living without it now I have used it for a little while.
Old 19th August 2016
Quick question. Slightly off topic.

Is the quality of audio better, tracking into/through my pre's on the front end of my Focusrite Scarlette, vs just dealing with softsynths that are already internal?
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post

Is the quality of audio better, tracking into/through my pre's on the front end of my Focusrite Scarlette, vs just dealing with softsynths that are already internal?
That is a very good question and imho, the answer is no and yes. If you simply plan on coming out of the Scarlett and back in to a Scarelett preamp...the answer is no. however, If you come out of the scarlett and process the signal through some outboard gear then the answer is yes. And when I say outboard, I mean something even like this.....

ART Tube MP | Sweetwater.com.

Get this and some various tubes and experiment. When I first started out, I had the same problem you have...everything sounded 2 dimensional and no matter what techniques or eq I tried it always sounded the same. On a hunch, I tried running some stuff through my cheap mixer and noticed a little difference and then I decided to try out this little ART pre that had been in my closet unused for years and BAM....that made a difference. Then I decided to spend 50 bucks and try some other tubes to see what works best on what types of instruments, of course you will have to decide what sounds best to you.

I can't imagine not running my kick and snare drums and toms and bass through one of these little ARTs. Some other instruments will benefit, but it also depends on the track. If I want a piano sound, but I know that it will be in the background of the mix, I usually just export it in the DAW and never leave the box. Guitar samples can benefit a little from my little process, but tbh, nothing sounds like a real guitar. I have tried for a very long time to get guitars to sound up front and guitar samples simply suck. I borrowed my nephew's cheap Squire Strat and ran it through the art and that blew away any sample guitar library I have come across. Unfortunately I don't play guitar well enough to actually track anything, so I am kind of stuck with samples, unless I can get a good deal from a real guitar player.

Try it out for yourself and see what you think.

Good luck,

fb
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post
That is a very good question and imho, the answer is no and yes. If you simply plan on coming out of the Scarlett and back in to a Scarelett preamp...the answer is no. however, If you come out of the scarlett and process the signal through some outboard gear then the answer is yes. And when I say outboard, I mean something even like this.....

ART Tube MP | Sweetwater.com.

Get this and some various tubes and experiment. When I first started out, I had the same problem you have...everything sounded 2 dimensional and no matter what techniques or eq I tried it always sounded the same. On a hunch, I tried running some stuff through my cheap mixer and noticed a little difference and then I decided to try out this little ART pre that had been in my closet unused for years and BAM....that made a difference. Then I decided to spend 50 bucks and try some other tubes to see what works best on what types of instruments, of course you will have to decide what sounds best to you.

I can't imagine not running my kick and snare drums and toms and bass through one of these little ARTs. Some other instruments will benefit, but it also depends on the track. If I want a piano sound, but I know that it will be in the background of the mix, I usually just export it in the DAW and never leave the box. Guitar samples can benefit a little from my little process, but tbh, nothing sounds like a real guitar. I have tried for a very long time to get guitars to sound up front and guitar samples simply suck. I borrowed my nephew's cheap Squire Strat and ran it through the art and that blew away any sample guitar library I have come across. Unfortunately I don't play guitar well enough to actually track anything, so I am kind of stuck with samples, unless I can get a good deal from a real guitar player.

Try it out for yourself and see what you think.

Good luck,

fb
Do you use this for mono sources and duplicate tracks to create stereo or do you use two to create stereo.
Old 20th August 2016
I could tell just by looking at the waveforms they are not being compressed enough. look at beat 12, its up and down. this is great for a dynamic range but if you want that up close sound, its called compression, slam the piss out of it. try and retain some,,dynamics but push the biatch.
you might also find taking one of these songs straight to your daw and whipping a Waves, L3-13 will slam the hell out of it giving you a much better consistency.

good beats bro, im a metal man myself but we when you break it down.. we are all just musicians really
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Better audio quality could mean different things to different ears.
I'm assuming you mean running soft-synths out of the Scarlett, through some external preamps, and back in?

Personally, I don't really think that is the pill to cure your ill, as far as trying to bring things forward in the mix.
Sure it can help, depending on the preamp and what sonic characteristics you're hoping to bring out by using them.
You might really like what it does, but your issue can certainly be addressed without having to go through all that.

Definitely worth trying, everything is.
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear
lol it's definitely the mastering! Send it to Sterling and everything will make sense!

No really, it's the mix. How you can start the thread with "its not the mixing" is beyond me. Granted i only read page 1 cause i couldn't take anymore. You have some crazy spatial effects and wideners going on your first soundcloud track -- obviously you mixed this to be spacious and not in your face. Remix in your face and it'll be in your face. Treat everything like you treated the snare drum. Use more mono tracks -- stacking stereo tracks and effects gets totally unreasonable.

Your mixes are real close, and they sound better to us studio types cause they are made to sound good on flat monitors with your head in the sweet spot. But play them in a gymnasium and you'll freak. What sounds cool in your studio does not always translate. Turn on some commercial mixes and see how dry and "in your face" they are in your space. You should reference those when you mix, cause your speakers are lying to you.
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
Do you use this for mono sources and duplicate tracks to create stereo or do you use two to create stereo.
No. I have multiple ART MP's and if the source is stereo, I simply put the ART's on the inserts of my mixer and run stereo out of my mixer. Obviously I have to fiddle around to get a decent stereo balance, but it works for me.

Good luck,

fb
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post
No. I have multiple ART MP's and if the source is stereo, I simply put the ART's on the inserts of my mixer and run stereo out of my mixer. Obviously I have to fiddle around to get a decent stereo balance, but it works for me.

Good luck,

fb
Cool, makes sense
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

Hey rallycap . . . if you're still around, post your latest mix with all the advice you've gotten from the Good Folks at gearslutz.com
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Addict
First, disable all reverbs and delays. This could also be a room/recording environment issue. You may need to get rid of most, if not all, room ambience. Those two things alone could make a huge difference. I really like those baffles that sit on a mic stand (sE Electronics makes one). Position it immediately behind the mic. They have helped tremendously in my studio to get rid of room ambience. Some ambience is not necessarily bad. But if you want a really dry, very present, up front, vocal sound you really need to dial down the room ambience.
Old 21st August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckebaby View Post
I could tell just by looking at the waveforms they are not being compressed enough. look at beat 12, its up and down. this is great for a dynamic range but if you want that up close sound, its called compression, slam the piss out of it. try and retain some,,dynamics but push the biatch.
you might also find taking one of these songs straight to your daw and whipping a Waves, L3-13 will slam the hell out of it giving you a much better consistency.

good beats bro, im a metal man myself but we when you break it down.. we are all just musicians really
Wow! Much appreciated bro. Thanks a lot. I will try that.
Old 21st August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Better audio quality could mean different things to different ears.
I'm assuming you mean running soft-synths out of the Scarlett, through some external preamps, and back in?

Personally, I don't really think that is the pill to cure your ill, as far as trying to bring things forward in the mix.
Sure it can help, depending on the preamp and what sonic characteristics you're hoping to bring out by using them.
You might really like what it does, but your issue can certainly be addressed without having to go through all that.

Definitely worth trying, everything is.
No I definitely hear what you're saying. This question was something totally different that I was curious about. I just keep seeing live elements ran through pre's, converters, etc but never seen electronic sounds ran through them and tracked so, I figured it just wasn't done because a lot of electronic stuff, I'm assuming is already processed.

There's this sound with audio that I've heard before. I know what it is when I hear hit. I just can't put my finger on it. It's warm, it's transparent, but thick and rich. That's the sound I'm looking for.

Last edited by rallycapmusic; 21st August 2016 at 06:39 PM..
Old 21st August 2016
Gear Guru

I often use this plugin as a way to check for translation issues. only problem is it's mac and I don't know what an equivalent PC version may be. I tend to use the speaker plugin while on headphones and start with the BM5A speakers to setup the low end. then as I go along I check to see how similar the mix translates between the Adam A7 & the NS10. eventually as I fix the problems, the mix begins to sound similar on most of the speakers. then I can switch out the the plugin and see how the mix sounds without it. then I can take headphones off and listen over the speakers normally. if it then sounds really bad, it may be a room issue. it's probably not good to do this with hyped headphones. the plugin is basically using speaker impulse responses. I haven't tested any other similar solutions,
but I actually rate this one. within reason.

MixRef Plugin now available for download! | HeelAudio
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
No I definitely hear what you're saying. This question was something totally different that I was curious about. I just keep seeing elements ran through pre's, converters, etc but never seen electronic sounds ran through them and tracked so, I figured it just was done because a lot of electronic stuff, I'm assuming is already processed.

There's this sound with audio that I've heard before. I know what it is when I hear hit. I just can't put my finger on it. It's warm, it's transparent, but thick and rich. That's the sound I'm looking for.
I'm firmly rooted in the "experiment, just try everything" camp.
There is absolutely nothing to lose and only great things to gain from it.

Yes many peeps run stuff out of the computer through outboard and back in, no matter what the source is.
And for all of those that do, there even more of them who don't and just work ITB.
If you have decent external preamps and want to hear what they might do, well then, just try it.
For your initial query, it may help, it may not, who knows, but at least try it.
Everyone finds their working comfort zone simply by experimenting.

Perhaps this 'sound' you are hearing is a sampled sound from a record?
Can you post a link to a track to give us an example?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search