The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sound card with minimum 6 inputs recommendations?
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

Sound card with minimum 6 inputs recommendations?

Hi I'm looking for a portable & stable Sound Card to accompany my Live set.
I plan to sequence 3 synths and then route back into Ableton so I can control them all internally with FX, mainly to help keep things orderly and reduce the need for a hardware mixer..

I use a Macbook Pro so I'm open to sugggestions from low budget up to no more than £350....

Thanks
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear
assuming you need line inputs? the Motu Ultralite has 6 line ins and 2 pre amp input and is half rack size.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
assuming you need line inputs? the Motu Ultralite has 6 line ins and 2 pre amp input and is half rack size.
Yeah 6 lines, no real need for any pre amps as it's going to be solely dedicated to live performances with line inputs! Thanks
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskman View Post
Yeah 6 lines, no real need for any pre amps as it's going to be solely dedicated to live performances with line inputs! Thanks
It doesn't matter, that you need less than that.. It seems to be strange, but you won't pay more for two preamps.. there are just intended price levels and categories of interfaces.. because most of users find having a mic pre handy, you'll find it at every interface even at lowest price levels.
Interfaces with just multiple line level inputs are typically more expensive, because its design and construction isn't meant for budget home studio, as it's expected that outboard will be used with it.

Anyway.. as you've mentioned live performance, RME immediately popped in my head.. because if you want to route everything through DAW, you likely want quite responsive system with low latency and stability for gigs. So something like UC, UCX will be ideal IMO. Many folks I know really ended there, because of rock-solid stability.
However you won't reach it with your suggested budget, unless you look for used Fireface 400. You have MacBook Pro, which has either Firewire built-in or can be equipped with TB adapter.
That's my primary recommendation for your intended task. Also its TotalMix and standalone mode might be very interesting for use instead of mixer without computer.

As a second one, you might try is the UR44 by Steinberg.. FF400 is still better at almost all parameters, but this one would be new and USB connection makes it compatible with almost anything incl. iPads.

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 17th August 2016 at 12:08 AM..
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear
For what you are looking to do. RME is best choice. I would look at the single rack space 8 in 8 out units. The big choice is format to the computer. Firewire, MADI, USB, etc.......

Some MADI cards have built in DSP/mixing that will lower the latency of what you want to do. At that point, you become brand specific for the DSP and mixing software.

Other brands can get it done, but not in as tidy of a package allowing a DAW to be effects units for live.
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Head

If you going to use it Live and latency is important go with an RME !
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
It doesn't matter, that you need less than that.. It seems to be strange, but you won't pay more for two preamps.. there are just intended price levels and categories of interfaces.. because most of users find having a mic pre handy, you'll find it at every interface even at lowest price levels.
Interfaces with just multiple line level inputs are typically more expensive, because its design and construction isn't meant for budget home studio, as it's expected that outboard will be used with it.

Anyway.. as you've mentioned live performance, RME immediately popped in my head.. because if you want to route everything through DAW, you likely want quite responsive system with low latency and stability for gigs. So something like UC, UCX will be ideal IMO. Many folks I know really ended there, because of rock-solid stability.
However you won't reach it with your suggested budget, unless you look for used Fireface 400. You have MacBook Pro, which has either Firewire built-in or can be equipped with TB adapter.
That's my primary recommendation for your intended task. Also its TotalMix and standalone mode might be very interesting for use instead of mixer without computer.

As a second one, you might try is the UR44 by Steinberg.. FF400 is still better at almost all parameters, but this one would be new and USB connection makes it compatible with almost anything incl. iPads.

Michal
Thanks for the input! I have pre-amps on my studio soundcard so I'm covered for my normal recordings, I just need something for the live setup!
It's either routing the synths back into Ableton or running them to a mixer, not sure what people generally do with a combination of hardware and ITB live sets?
I wanted to route the synths back in for FX purposes but maybe I could just go to a small mixer with some fx sends on it maybe?
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
For what you are looking to do. RME is best choice. I would look at the single rack space 8 in 8 out units. The big choice is format to the computer. Firewire, MADI, USB, etc.......

Some MADI cards have built in DSP/mixing that will lower the latency of what you want to do. At that point, you become brand specific for the DSP and mixing software.

Other brands can get it done, but not in as tidy of a package allowing a DAW to be effects units for live.
Hi I've not heard/looked into MADI could you elaborate a little about what I could do with my intended budget please?
Old 17th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post

The Steinberg UR44 has 6 inputs and is great. I've used it for your same purpose and I love it. I happen to be selling mine now because I need to upgrade to an interface with more inputs.
If you want more info, definitely message me.
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskman View Post
Hi I've not heard/looked into MADI could you elaborate a little about what I could do with my intended budget please?
Hi,
MADI is just a digital audio connection like ADAT or SPDIF. It just carries more channels. 64 channels to be exact. It requires external ADDA converters just like ADAT or SPDIF.
Firewire USB PCI-e are computer connections. All audio interfaces/sound cards require on of these connections in order to use Analog, ADAT, SPDIF, MADI or any other digital audio I/O.

If want stable, high quality and low latency for live performance with 6 channels or analog or more then RME is the best choice by far.

If you are not able to afford RME stuff then if you are on a MAC the Steinberg UR44 or UR824 are good options. Supposedly the new Gen 2 Focusrite Scarlett interfaces are working well too.

Chris
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris View Post
Hi,
MADI is just a digital audio connection like ADAT or SPDIF. It just carries more channels. 64 channels to be exact. It requires external ADDA converters just like ADAT or SPDIF.
Firewire USB PCI-e are computer connections. All audio interfaces/sound cards require on of these connections in order to use Analog, ADAT, SPDIF, MADI or any other digital audio I/O.

If want stable, high quality and low latency for live performance with 6 channels or analog or more then RME is the best choice by far.

If you are not able to afford RME stuff then if you are on a MAC the Steinberg UR44 or UR824 are good options. Supposedly the new Gen 2 Focusrite Scarlett interfaces are working well too.

Chris
Thanks for this Chris
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search