The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Intel Instruction Set Extensions - Huh?
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear
Intel Instruction Set Extensions - Huh?

Whiling away the time waiting for the glory that is US customs to complete a random inspection of my crate with my studio in it at my expense, while drugs and arms dealers get their crates uninspected, I'm looking at things I would never have bothered with. Good example is this one.

There's not much in it between the 5820k and 6800k from a user perspective - 6800 is a little more expensive but runs a little faster and cooler due to being 14nm, so probably overclocks a little more.

Great I'd go for the 6800k. Then I see that the 5820k has all of these Instruction Set Extensions - all kinds of SSEs and AVXs but the 6800k only has AES. Is that a big deal? Do we need any for DAW use? Do we need the 5820k?

Believe me I looked on Google, but even though I've got time on my hands, I'm not equipped to understand those Intel developer zone white papers or conference reports!
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

No worries, 6800K will have all the enhanced extensions (all SSE, AVX2) as its predecessor.

Michal
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear
Great thanks. Cpuboss didn't seem to think so though.
Old 15th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Great thanks. Cpuboss didn't seem to think so though.
It's why we don't use CPUboss
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

Got it thanks Pete!
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

It is kinda odd though that Intel themselves doesn't publizice the instruction set anymore.
Intel
This one does.
Intel
This one doesn't.

Though i know the 6800k has the same instruction set as the 5820k if not even more extensive.
Maybe CPUBoss gets their data from Intel and that's why it doesn't show up?
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear

Does that really matter, where CPU boss takes their information? And how thoroughly they verify that.
It's in full PDF documentation and datasheet for 6th gen Intel CPUs, this it's comprehensive and authoritative guide.
Other element, which can help is experience and common sense.. Intel never really ditched any CPU instructions for processor, which directly replaces previous model. Newer model has always all the instructions of last generation.

Michal
Old 17th August 2016
Gear Addict

I'm pretty sure the tiny little intel quad cores that are in the £80 windows tablets have SSE instruction sets etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search