The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slick way to migrate plug ins to fresh Mac OS drive ?
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Slick way to migrate plug ins to fresh Mac OS drive ?

After creating a fresh Mac OS install is there a way to easily migrate plug ins/libraries from an Older Mac system drive?

Trying to see if I can cut down on downtime to install the mass of plug ins and libraries I've collected....
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
After creating a fresh Mac OS install is there a way to easily migrate plug ins/libraries from an Older Mac system drive?

Trying to see if I can cut down on downtime to install the mass of plug ins and libraries I've collected....
If you haven't a formal system back up in hand, either via Time Machine, a 3rd party tool, or disk image, which I'm guessing you don't or you would have done the transfer at the get-go, it can be done, but you have to know a lot about hidden directories and such, and even then the MacOS version will come into play, and quite possibly SIP -- El Cap's additional layer of security that's even rendered some plugins not directly useable. However, it can be disabled.

Do some research on SIP, the hidden Library, the Hidden Private Directory, and lastly usr. This is in addition to the traditional plugin paths (Components, VSTs, Presets) and at times there's even data in documents, Music, and usually App Support, both visible and hidden. Caches and preferences will come into play too, both visible and hidden.

I kinda sorta would not recommend, however, so you might want to go the reinstall route. I bet that will be less hassle, and headache, unless you want to learn UNIX & Terminal Commands. Then you can build stuff, though I'm not certain it's a goal of yours; if it were, you'd probably sorta know it's rather laborious. Xcode, XML, and C++ is not a pre-requisite, but knowing precisely what goes where very much is. And they certainly would not hurt.

What you're asking is by no means a wave of the wand. Unfortunately, it's not a simple copy and paste of directories, and even if it were, you'd have to know precisely which ones. Tinkering with Private or usr can be catastrophic if not done properly.
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Last time I migrated (from 2008 MacPro (Mavericks) to 2015 iMac (El Capitan)) I simply used the Migration Assistant to transfer everything and it worked flawlessly (plug-ins included). I already prepared myself for re-installation of all plug-ins (terrible job), but it wasn't necessary.
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
Last time I migrated (from 2008 MacPro (Mavericks) to 2015 iMac (El Capitan)) I simply used the Migration Assistant to transfer everything and it worked flawlessly (plug-ins included). I already prepared myself for re-installation of all plug-ins (terrible job), but it wasn't necessary.
I'd imagine you had a formal back up in order to use the Migration Assistant? If not, it can get dicey as there usually won't be a lot of order in the chaos.

However, if you painstakingly tracked what needed to be saved, and where, then that would work, but it begs the question - why not just do it initially? It's far less labor-intensive to have a systematic back up, not to mention it requires less mind matter.

The process is highly dependent on what plugins, specifically, are being ported too, as some are rather rudimentary, some anything but.
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post

Thanks I will give that a try. Did all the licenses for your plug ins get transferred, and how about plug in preset files and any associate files like impulse responses with Altiverb?
Old 30th July 2016
Gear Maniac

To use Migration assistant you don't need a Time Machine backup, you just need the old computer. Of course, you can still use a backup as source for the migration but there is no NEED.

And it's true. A migration will get you everything from the old computer up and running. There are som caveats like, if the OS version of the new Mac differs from the old there might be softwares that are not supported anymore, so it's always a good idea to check on the softwares you depend upon.

But sometimes it's also a good idea to start fresh, you know, install just what you want and rid your system of all those extra plugins or instruments you installed just to compare them.
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
If you haven't a formal system back up in hand, either via Time Machine, a 3rd party tool, or disk image, which I'm guessing you don't or you would have done the transfer at the get-go, it can be done, but you have to know a lot about hidden directories and such, and even then the MacOS version will come into play, and quite possibly SIP -- El Cap's additional layer of security that's even rendered some plugins not directly useable. However, it can be disabled.

Do some research on SIP, the hidden Library, the Hidden Private Directory, and lastly usr. This is in addition to the traditional plugin paths (Components, VSTs, Presets) and at times there's even data in documents, Music, and usually App Support, both visible and hidden. Caches and preferences will come into play too, both visible and hidden.

I kinda sorta would not recommend, however, so you might want to go the reinstall route. I bet that will be less hassle, and headache, unless you want to learn UNIX & Terminal Commands. Then you can build stuff, though I'm not certain it's a goal of yours; if it were, you'd probably sorta know it's rather laborious. Xcode, XML, and C++ is not a pre-requisite, but knowing precisely what goes where very much is. And they certainly would not hurt.

What you're asking is by no means a wave of the wand. Unfortunately, it's not a simple copy and paste of directories, and even if it were, you'd have to know precisely which ones. Tinkering with Private or usr can be catastrophic if not done properly.
Mate it will probably be quicker just to reinstall the plug ins..... I'm trying to avoid downtime
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks I will give that a try. Did all the licenses for your plug ins get transferred, and how about plug in preset files and any associate files like impulse responses with Altiverb?
Yes, all went smoothly. It's been half year ago, so I can not remember all exact details, I remember one of the few things I had to was to fill in some serials for NI Komplete.
Old 30th July 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Mate it will probably be quicker just to reinstall the plug ins.....
Definitely. The few times I tried Migration Assistant, it was a total disaster.
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
I'd imagine you had a formal back up in order to use the Migration Assistant? If not, it can get dicey as there usually won't be a lot of order in the chaos.

However, if you painstakingly tracked what needed to be saved, and where, then that would work, but it begs the question - why not just do it initially? It's far less labor-intensive to have a systematic back up, not to mention it requires less mind matter.

The process is highly dependent on what plugins, specifically, are being ported too, as some are rather rudimentary, some anything but.
There was no formal back up, just telling the MA to transfer from old to new Mac. I already kept all my data (songs, samples, patches etc.) on a separate disk, but the plug-in data was on the migrated disk and came over perfectly and yes I was quite surprised by that too. I'm talking here about: Uhe, Klanghelm, NI (Komplete), Waves, FAW, FXPansion, GForce, AudioEase, Reveal Sound, VSL, AudioEase.
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Will defo try the migration assistant, I have a full system back up if it goes Pete Tong
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search