The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many simultaneous inputs through USB 2?
Old 29th July 2016
Lives for gear

How many simultaneous inputs through USB 2?

OK, looking for a new interface to give me at least 24 inputs. I have a 2009 MacPro. Budget is small..., say $1K tops. I figure I'm looking at either the older MOTU PCIe 424 system with a 24 I/O, or 2408mk3 (with a few ADAT boxes like the Behringer ADA8200) or the newer MOTU 24Ai AVB interface.

My big concern with the AVB interface is that my MacPro has no thunderbolt so I would be using the USB 2.0 connection. Can I REALLY get 24 simultaneous inputs through USB running at say 48Khz?
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Budget is small..., say $1K tops. ... my MacPro has no thunderbolt so I would be using the USB 2.0 connection. Can I REALLY get 24 simultaneous inputs through USB running at say 48Khz?
Yes, you can do much more than 24 inputs via USB 2.0. Observe the Midas and Behringer M32/X32 mixers with 32 inputs. Everything works simultaneously just fine. I use these products on a 2010 Mac Pro, so all is well-proven.

More than 32 is possible, but generally is a rare implementation. I'm sure that you can freely shop for something that fits your I/O requirements, but I meeting your budget parameters is a greater challenge.
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Yes, you can do much more than 24 inputs via USB 2.0. Observe the Midas and Behringer M32/X32 mixers with 32 inputs. Everything works simultaneously just fine. I use these products on a 2010 Mac Pro, so all is well-proven.

More than 32 is possible, but generally is a rare implementation. I'm sure that you can freely shop for something that fits your I/O requirements, but I meeting your budget parameters is a greater challenge.
Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to get some real world feedback on getting that many inputs at once through USB 2.0. Yeah, budget is tight, but I'm eyeing the used market, and the MOTU 24 Ai AVB to at least get me started.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search