The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you feel about the Western Digital My Passport HD
Old 29th July 2016
Here for the gear

How do you feel about the Western Digital My Passport HD

I'm looking for an efficient hard drive to run my samples from (Spitfire Audio, Komplete mostly). How do you feel about WD My Passport? I know it's not the most glamorous but it's been a solid backup and audio hard drive for me so far.

Any other options in similar price ranges are always welcome too.
Old 29th July 2016
Gear Addict

I don't like mine.

Using a SSD now, smaller, lighter, quieter. NOT cheaper hehe
Old 29th July 2016
Lives for gear

I use one of the older Firewire ones as a Time Machine Backup disk. But would not use it as a sample library disk. To slow for that.

But with the newer USB 3 Drives it should be ok. Still prefer an internal SSD for that job though.
Old 29th July 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

I've been using a Passport USB3 for quite while, including for certain samples. It's great.
Old 29th July 2016
From my memory all WD have a built-in non deactivable stand by mode which is an ugly thing IMO. I will recommend you to get one without this damn thing. One (expensive) option will be an ssd in an usb 3.0 case.
Old 29th July 2016
Here for the gear

How about the G Raid or OWC drives for strictly running samples?
Old 29th July 2016
Lives for gear

The WD my passport is a cheap, consumer-level device and will perform accordingly. Look at something designed for pro users, like a Glyph, G-Drive or LaCie.

I'm not sure why you would need RAID for running samples
Old 29th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPTLKER View Post
How about the G Raid or OWC drives for strictly running samples?
I've been using a FW800 OWC drive for about 7 years for running samples. It's been rock solid, and fast (7200 rpm). I would assume the USB3 ones would be just as good if not better.

And when it eventually dies, I can open the case and just replace the drive.
Old 29th July 2016
Here for the gear

OWC / Other World Computing 1TB Mercury Elite OWCME6UM7T10G16

Thanks! I'm taking a look at this guy even though the reviews on Amazon aren't stellar.
Old 29th July 2016
the G-Raid is a great one, when in Raid 0 mode it loads fast as hell
Old 29th July 2016
Assuming you don't have like, 8TB worth of samples, I'd just get a smallish (120-250GB) SSD and put it in a USB3 enclosure. They're not real expensive any more and obviously a zillion times faster than a traditional HDD. When I upgraded the SSDs in my laptop, I took the smaller one out and put it in an enclosure (30 bucks, if that) and it's fast as hell.
Old 29th July 2016
I've had good luck with the OWC Mercury Elite drives - the 3.5" ones at least, with the USB3, Firewire 800 and eSata ports. Haven't had good luck with external drives under the WD or Toshiba brands.
Old 29th July 2016
Does it have to be external? Internals tend to not charge you for extra hardware and software
Old 30th July 2016
Gear Addict

Most ready made external drives are only 5400 RPM. You should use at least a 7200 RPM drive for audio. I usually buy an USB 3.0 enclosure and an internal 7200 RPM hard drive. They are easy to put together, some are even screwless. I have had good luck with the Vantec ones. Sabrent makes good ones too. If you do a laptop size drive, you will be stuck with a 1TB drive. So desktop size offers more options. I have been happy with HGST drives, but I think the best is supposed to be the WD Black. Just don't get a green drive. The shut off to save energy or something like that.
Old 30th July 2016
With usb 3.0 and its transfer speed nowdays doesn't matter if it is 7.2k or 5.4k.
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Sample libraries like SSDs.
As said above, put the biggest SSD you can afford in a cheap USB3 case for best value.

Personally I avoid WD drives because of the annoying power and access mgmt bloatware.
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
The WD my passport is a cheap, consumer-level device and will perform accordingly. Look at something designed for pro users, like a Glyph, G-Drive or LaCie.
Glyph, G-Drive or LaCie. Use the same SSD technology as western digital. They probably package western digital or seagate or whatever they can buy in bulk cheaply. All the flash memory is made by the same few foundries in Taiwan and Japan.

OP don't waste your money on snake oil marketing, Just look at the specs and buy based on specs, not brand name.
Old 30th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
Glyph, G-Drive or LaCie. Use the same SSD technology as western digital. They probably package western digital or seagate or whatever they can buy in bulk cheaply. All the flash memory is made by the same few foundries in Taiwan and Japan.

OP don't waste your money on snake oil marketing, Just look at the specs and buy based on specs, not brand name.
A bit misleading; a couple years back there was a report outlining how Western Digital binned their drives. Their top-performing ones (within a product line) were allocated to internal applications while lower performing ones were put in external enclosures and the worst sold to certain other companies to put into external enclosures. Certain companies such as OWC and G-Force test drives before using them ensuring a higher quality product. So no, the specs won't tell you what you need to know. Unless you don't care about losing all your data.
Old 30th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
With usb 3.0 and its transfer speed nowdays doesn't matter if it is 7.2k or 5.4k.
I used to use firewire, which was faster speeds, and still had problems with 5400 drives.

And? I have used 5400 drives as my OS/DAW drive and as long as the audio drive was 7200, I had relatively few problems. Of course, I don't do huge projects.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search