The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buying a new Macbook Pro 2015. Anyone who downgraded OS X on a el capitan macbook?
Old 28th July 2016
Here for the gear

Buying a new Macbook Pro 2015. Anyone who downgraded OS X on a el capitan macbook?

Hi everyone. I have the possibility to afford a new macbook pro 13 retina from 2015 right now. It such be a great machine along the fact that come with the El Capitan OS X.

Now, i have seen plenty of people talking about the issues of compatibility, of some plugins, DAW's or Hardware.

I have an old Roland (cakewalk) MIDI Controller, an A-500S which in their site, there isnt drivers for el capitan..just for the mavericks OS X, which leads me to get frustrated, and get without my only MIDI at the moment.

I have seen that in Avid site, Pro tools just work with os x 10.11 - 10.11.3, and a new macbook now, comes with the OS X 10.11.6, so it is really confusing for me, since some of the plugins or this kind of DAW cannot be compatible with this OS X.

Is it really bad downgrade a new macbook pro that comes with el capitan to yosemite for example? I've heard about the possibility of issues with the macbook pro, once its downgraded to an older OS X than the one which come with the default machine. The trackpad force touche will need the drivers on el capitan, and i've heard about internet issues or bugs that can happen on this situations.

Someone here, have some experience on this? or have done this?

Thank You
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Nut
While I can't say for certain that you'll be able to do this as everyone's setup is slightly different and expectations vary from one person to another, your best answer is to give it try.

Suggest that you use an external drive loaded with Yoesmite first and then boot from that to test. If Yosemite works from an external drive, it will work on your primary internal drive.

As always, make a clone of your current El Cap before flattening your internal drive.

I back down OS's at work all day long. Usually not a problem, but you always have to test. Sometimes you can simply set the machine date back a year to load an older OS if you run into issues. Doesn't always work, but something to try if you run into issues installing.
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postponedcorpse View Post
Is it really bad downgrade a new macbook pro that comes with el capitan to yosemite for example?

Can't be done. If it came with an OS version it's that version or later versions. Forget it.

You might as well run Windows on it instead.

To me El Capitan is the best music OS Apple ever released since Snow Leopard, but the only old gear I must support are an Alphatrack and old synths which wasn't very hard. I use Live as my DAW, so no worries for Pro Tools.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search