The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Raydat with Audient iD22 as converter/monitor controller? Audio Interfaces
Old 28th July 2016
Here for the gear

RME Raydat with Audient iD22 as converter/monitor controller?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the Audient iD22 as monitor controller and AD-DA converter with the RME Raydat.

I'd like to be able to use either the preamps on the iD22, or my 500-series preamps, through the iD22 converters going into the Raydat. And then monitor through the Audient (both speakers and headphones).

Looks like it should be doable with the optical in/outs on the Audient, but I'm not too experienced with these setups.

I already have the iD22, but am looking for a low latency solution. This way I could still get some use out of the iD22 (I think it's a great sounding little unit) and the Raydat looks like a good way to go for future expansion/upgrades.

Anyone have any experience with such a setup or know if this would be a good/practical solution?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear

Its possible. You will need to put the iD22 in "standalone mode" if it has it. If not, you ll need to use the routing matrix and route things manually.

Essentially, your analog inputs need to directly feed digital out, and digital ins need to directly feed analog outs.

In this case, the iD22 can be your master clock. If you add more converters, you will probably need to have the Raydat do clocking duties if you want to keep it simple.

FWIW, it looks like the iD22 has its own low latency monitoring built in.
Old 28th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynngraber View Post
Its possible. You will need to put the iD22 in "standalone mode" if it has it. If not, you ll need to use the routing matrix and route things manually.

Essentially, your analog inputs need to directly feed digital out, and digital ins need to directly feed analog outs.

In this case, the iD22 can be your master clock. If you add more converters, you will probably need to have the Raydat do clocking duties if you want to keep it simple.

FWIW, it looks like the iD22 has its own low latency monitoring built in.
Thank you for the informative reply, clarifying the routing/clocking etc, appreciate that. I think I might give this a go.

After a bit of research it seems that the iD22 can be used in "standalone mode", but when powered down the settings are lost. So you would need to reconnect it through USB and load the mixer settings again. For my use this wouldn't really be a problem. (I imagine I could simply save a preset in the mixer).

Yes, the "direct monitoring" feature works quite well when I'm tracking using microphones etc., but for some of the tracking I do I rely on using impulse responses for guitar cab simulation.

Oh, and nice studio by the way
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear

Just leave the USB cable plugged in. I have my Symphony IO in standalone mode with the Raydat, I have it connected via USB as well so that I can access routing presets and calibration settings.
Old 28th July 2016
Here for the gear

Exactly, I'd just leave things hooked up. Thanks again.
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoGuitar View Post
Exactly, I'd just leave things hooked up. Thanks again.
Did you tried that setup? I have ID22 (and asp800) and want to buy raydat, just need confirmation that it's working. Thnx!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search