The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Plugins problem
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

Slate Plugins problem

Hi.

I've been using Slate Digital's VTM (Virtual Tape Machines) plugin, but something weird is happening, when I insert it on the master bus (the whole mix running through it) the kickdrum (EDM) starts to exhibit some strange new frequencies, a fuzzy grungy vibrating fluttery sound hangs off the end of the kick (overtly and ugly, not in an expected way), and when I disengage VTM the problem goes away. Real tape doesn't do this to a kickdrum, and on testing Nomad Factory's "Magnetic II" Tape plugin, it doesn't exhibit this behavior when using any of the ten tape-types it offers.

The mix is not too hot and the saturation needle on VTM is only halfway before the redline, so not even approaching full saturation. The rest of the mix sounds great but the kickdrum is suffering for it. Anyone know what might be causing this, is this normal behavior for the VTM or is it an anomaly of some sort?

And one other important thing, my opinion about Slate's VBC plugin.

The "FG-MU" doesn't sound very good to my ears. I've had VBC a long time, and of the three compressors that come with it, the "FG-Grey" and "FG-Red" both sound fantastic and have their place always, but over the years, every time I give the "FG-MU" a try, I get turned off, it never sounds right, and i've never ever used it under any circumstances.

With closer listening sessions (at only medium and low volume-levels, which happens to be the volume everything should be tested at, to avoid the loud-volume 'fu_k this sounds good' syndrome) I noticed that the "FG-MU" carves-off some of the thump/subs in the bass region, both the kickdrum and bass, which in my books is totally unacceptable, and not what should be happening (yes i'm using the highpass filter that comes with it) the hardware 670 doesn't do that, and I was careful to double-check this many times, plus the "FG-MU" affects the treble region too overtly, totally artificial, shocking sparkle/brightness and air injected into the highs, to the extent that it sounds manufactured and plain wrong, in fact I would go so far as to say that it doesn't sound anything like a decent compressor.
Under extreme settings yes you're gonna get some sparkly-cranky/crush compressor stuff happening, but under normal compressor settings it doesn't sound like a compressor should afaic. I think Steven should go back and redo it, just model the original 670 to the T instead of this custom crap he came up with. I can almost envisage what happened when Slate was modelling it, TOO MUCH VOLUME while he was doing his listening sessions, thus making anything sound impressive, loud volume makes even spew and farts sound good, feel me?

The original hardware 670L is legendary and the most expensive hardware compressor in the world (if you can find one, which apparently Steven did), and it's known as "The Holy Grail" compressor, so I can guarantee you if Steven went back to revisit the "FG-MU" and just modeled the hardware exactly instead of putting his own spin on it we'd get a far superior sound. I totally respect Steven's plugins, he's done some amazing work him and Fabrice, but I just hope to God that he goes back and rejigs the "FG-MU", because currently it's totally unusable imo. And don't bother telling me we all hear different and so it's just my personal taste, no such thing, I know 'good' when I hear it, and i'm flexible, but there's definitely something wrong with the "FG-MU" every time I insert it. I haven't tried it on an instrument track because I only wish to use it as a bus compressor obviously.

I also hope Steven might see fit to add another tape-type to VTM, namely the vintage "JH24 MCI 2 Inch Tape Machine 24 track", it puts out a very nice sound indeed, that would well-&-truly have our basses covered.
Old 27th July 2016
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi Foleycore, the artifact you are hearing on the kick may very well be a real tape artifact, or it may be a bug. You'll have to send me the dry mix without VTM to [email protected] and I'll check it out. I would also try messing with the settings (how much is it saturating the tape? what machine are you using? What speed? etc).

The FG-MU is a great vintagey sounding compressor that brings some thickness to the mids and opens the top up, but because it is a color comp, you'll want to mix with it from the beginning. Regarding sublows, this is a very common trait amongst variable mu designs, and is the nature of using a real analog modeled plugin. The FG-Grey and FG-Red are modeled on more modern units and therefore will not skew the frequency response like the FG-MU can.

We do have plans to do a more 1:1 recreation of the 670, but keep in mind that in all our tests of real vintage units, they too will remove some sub low, probably a bit more than FG-MU.

Thanks for the comments,

Steven
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear
Could this simply be caused by a boost in low frequencies? Most tape emulation plugins emulate a "head bump" effect and boost 60 hz a bit. VTM does it a lot more than most.

To test this, try going into Settings and adjusting the bass alignment. Set it lower and see if the problem goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foleycore View Post
Hi.

I've been using Slate Digital's VTM (Virtual Tape Machines) plugin, but something weird is happening, when I insert it on the master bus (the whole mix running through it) the kickdrum (EDM) starts to exhibit some strange new frequencies, a fuzzy grungy vibrating fluttery sound hangs off the end of the kick (overtly and ugly, not in an expected way), and when I disengage VTM the problem goes away. Real tape doesn't do this to a kickdrum, and on testing Nomad Factory's "Magnetic II" Tape plugin, it doesn't exhibit this behavior when using any of the ten tape-types it offers.

The mix is not too hot and the saturation needle on VTM is only halfway before the redline, so not even approaching full saturation. The rest of the mix sounds great but the kickdrum is suffering for it. Anyone know what might be causing this, is this normal behavior for the VTM or is it an anomaly of some sort?

And one other important thing, my opinion about Slate's VBC plugin.

The "FG-MU" doesn't sound very good to my ears. I've had VBC a long time, and of the three compressors that come with it, the "FG-Grey" and "FG-Red" both sound fantastic and have their place always, but over the years, every time I give the "FG-MU" a try, I get turned off, it never sounds right, and i've never ever used it under any circumstances.

With closer listening sessions (at only medium and low volume-levels, which happens to be the volume everything should be tested at, to avoid the loud-volume 'fu_k this sounds good' syndrome) I noticed that the "FG-MU" carves-off some of the thump/subs in the bass region, both the kickdrum and bass, which in my books is totally unacceptable, and not what should be happening (yes i'm using the highpass filter that comes with it) the hardware 670 doesn't do that, and I was careful to double-check this many times, plus the "FG-MU" affects the treble region too overtly, totally artificial, shocking sparkle/brightness and air injected into the highs, to the extent that it sounds manufactured and plain wrong, in fact I would go so far as to say that it doesn't sound anything like a decent compressor.
Under extreme settings yes you're gonna get some sparkly-cranky/crush compressor stuff happening, but under normal compressor settings it doesn't sound like a compressor should afaic. I think Steven should go back and redo it, just model the original 670 to the T instead of this custom crap he came up with. I can almost envisage what happened when Slate was modelling it, TOO MUCH VOLUME while he was doing his listening sessions, thus making anything sound impressive, loud volume makes even spew and farts sound good, feel me?

The original hardware 670L is legendary, and the most expensive hardware compressor in the world (if you can find one, which apparently Steven did) and it is known as "The Holy Grail" compressor, so I can guarantee you that if Steven went back to revisit the "FG-MU" and just modeled the hardware exactly instead of putting his own spin on it, we'd get a far superior sound. I totally respect Steven's plugins, he's done some amazing work him and Fabrice, but I just hope to God that he goes back and rejigs the "FG-MU" because currently it's totally unusable imo. And don't bother telling me we all hear different and so it's just my personal taste, no such thing, I know 'good' when I hear it and i'm flexible, but there's definitely something wrong with the "FG-MU" every time I insert it just to have a listen on a whole mix, I haven't tried it on an instrument track because I only wish to use it as a bus compressor obviously.

I also hope Steven might see fit to add another tape-type to VTM, namely the vintage "JH24 MCI 2 Inch Tape Machine 24 track", it puts out a very nice sound indeed, that would well-&-truly have our basses covered.
Old 27th July 2016

Great suggestion drichard, the 1/2" machine especially has a pretty hefty headbump (as its owner Howie Weinberg prefers), so try to reduce the bass alignment. At -1.5db it's pretty flat. The 2" machine has less of the headbump.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Nut

No point in sending you a stereo WAV file of the dry mix because you won't be able to hear precisely how VTM is affecting specifically the kickdrum. FYI, the problem can be heard clearly when I 'solo' the kickdrum track, so i'll send a WAV of the kickdrum on it's own with VTM engaged and without VTM engaged, that should be good enough for you to hear what's happening. I'll also send details of what tape type and saturation level etc. Cheers Steve and thankyou for reaching out to investigate.
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear
Before you send WAV files, do as I suggested. As Steven and I tried to explain, this is modeling real tape behavior, or at least the behavior of a specific tape machine. You need to set the bass alignment to about -1.5 db.

When you have the bass alignment at the zero setting the frequency response is not flat. It is emulating that particular tape machine's head bump. So you need to set the bass alignment to -1.5 db (approximately) to get a flat frequency response. If you do that, and try again, it will probably sound more like you expect.

I realize this is counter-intuitive, but that's how that particular tape machine was set up. Not all tape machines have such a prominent head bump, but this one does.

Quote:
No point in sending you a stereo WAV file of the dry mix because you won't be able to hear precisely how VTM is affecting specifically the kickdrum. FYI, the problem can be heard clearly when I 'solo' the kickdrum track, so i'll send a WAV of the kickdrum on it's own with VTM engaged and without VTM engaged, that should be good enough for you to hear what's happening. I'll also send details of what tape type and saturation level etc. Cheers Steve and thankyou for reaching out to investigate.
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Addict

I've found that sometimes plugins that compress and saturate can bring out things in the source that you couldn't hear before.
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear
I haven't bothered to ask, but I assume your levels are set appropriately?

Quote:
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Maniac
Hi Steven,

Is there going to be a Slate Summer Sale this year?
Old 29th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Before you send WAV files, do as I suggested. As Steven and I tried to explain, this is modeling real tape behavior, or at least the behavior of a specific tape machine. You need to set the bass alignment to about -1.5 db.

When you have the bass alignment at the zero setting the frequency response is not flat. It is emulating that particular tape machine's head bump. So you need to set the bass alignment to -1.5 db (approximately) to get a flat frequency response. If you do that, and try again, it will probably sound more like you expect.

I realize this is counter-intuitive, but that's how that particular tape machine was set up. Not all tape machines have such a prominent head bump, but this one does.

Nup, I don't think so. It appears to be a serious bug.

Doesn't matter what I do to the "bass alignment" setting, nothing changes, the problem continues to occur unmitigated. When I lower the "bass alignment" slider it doesn't make one shred of difference, nothing happens, no change to the sound at all.

You said: "As Steven and I tried to explain, this is modeling real tape behavior, or at least the behavior of a specific tape machine."

You're commenting before you've even heard for yourself what is happening here! The problem i'm hearing (as I already stated) is not the same as any Tape machine I know of, it's a strange sonic anomaly, there's a difference between extra phat and warm body added from Tape and what i'm hearing from VTM. Grungy, fluttery gross overhang not applicable to Tape is what i'm getting here.

FTR, the only time the problem disappears is when the settings are specifically...

Bias: Normal
Speed; 30ips
Machine Type: 2" 16 Track
Tape Type: FG456

ANY OTHER SETTINGS OR COMBINATION THEREOF, and the problem returns, and as I already stated, regardless of where the "bass alignment" slider is set.

You said: "You need to set the bass alignment to about -1.5 db."

Do you think i'm a doofus? Don't you think I made sure to check the "bass alignment" setting before I posted? I'm not pissed at you, i'm just saying.
Old 29th July 2016

Hi Foley, no worries man just hit up support and they'll have you send the file and figure out what's up. All good here.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 29th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nup, I don't think so. It appears to be a serious bug.

Doesn't matter what I do to the "bass alignment" setting, nothing changes, the problem continues to occur unmitigated. When I lower the "bass alignment" slider it doesn't make one shred of difference, nothing happens, no change to the sound at all.

You said: "As Steven and I tried to explain, this is modeling real tape behavior, or at least the behavior of a specific tape machine."

You're commenting before you've even heard for yourself what is happening here! The problem i'm hearing (as I already stated) is not the same as any Tape machine I know of, it's a strange sonic anomaly, there's a difference between extra phat and warm body added from Tape and what i'm hearing from VTM. Grungy, fluttery gross overhang not applicable to Tape is what i'm getting here.

FTR, the only time the problem disappears is when the settings are specifically...

Bias: Normal
Speed; 30ips
Machine Type: 2" 16 Track
Tape Type: FG456

ANY OTHER SETTINGS OR COMBINATION THEREOF, and the problem returns, and as I already stated, regardless of where the "bass alignment" slider is set.

You said: "You need to set the bass alignment to about -1.5 db."

Do you think i'm a doofus? Don't you think I made sure to check the "bass alignment" setting before I posted? I'm not pissed at you, i'm just saying.
You clearly don't know what you're doing. Everybody is being really nice about that fact. Calm down before you make an even bigger spectacle of yourself.
My guess is you're hitting VTM too hard. I'm also betting your kick drum has alot of after ring. Gate it before it hits VTM.
Old 29th July 2016
Lives for gear
I was trying to be polite, but since you asked, yes, my first impression was that you are a doofus. Lots of beginners on here, and your post initially seemed like a newbie misunderstanding how things work.

I don't know you, and maybe you are very knowledgeable. But your questions and responses didn't convey it.

Quote:
...Do you think i'm a doofus? Don't you think I made sure to check the "bass alignment" setting before I posted? I'm not pissed at you, i'm just saying.
Old 30th July 2016
Gear Addict

I reported the same thing going on with VTM (fuzzy low end distortion) at Slate Audiophiles on facebook, with audio examples. For me it is a bug. Fabrice joined the discussion and stated:

"We analyzed the measurements and the effect of a real tape on the bass is the same than with the VTM, so this was definitely not a bug, but a byproduct of the tape effect on loud bass frequencies. What we'll change though is the action of the noise reduction on this effect. Right now, the noise reduction has no effect, we'll make so the noise reduction also reduce this effect."

That was on May 2nd, so I'm patiently waiting for the next update, until then I replaced VTM with Reelbus and Ferox. Love'em!

BTW, you can check my sound examples and replies from Fabrice here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566...9088689668716/
Old 30th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
I was trying to be polite, but since you asked, yes, my first impression was that you are a doofus. Lots of beginners on here, and your post initially seemed like a newbie misunderstanding how things work.

I don't know you, and maybe you are very knowledgeable. But your questions and responses didn't convey it.

Lol
Old 30th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecandy View Post
You clearly don't know what you're doing. Everybody is being really nice about that fact. Calm down before you make an even bigger spectacle of yourself.
My guess is you're hitting VTM too hard. I'm also betting your kick drum has alot of after ring. Gate it before it hits VTM.

Lol
Old 30th July 2016
Hey folks... Can we do this without the name calling please. I hear enough of that in the political forums!
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear
I'm glad you weren't angry. I like to help people here, but it's impossible to know the experience level based on a post or two.

Quote:
Lol
Old 31st July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLOSONIX View Post
I reported the same thing going on with VTM (fuzzy low end distortion) at Slate Audiophiles on facebook, with audio examples. For me it is a bug. Fabrice joined the discussion and stated:

"We analyzed the measurements and the effect of a real tape on the bass is the same than with the VTM, so this was definitely not a bug, but a byproduct of the tape effect on loud bass frequencies. What we'll change though is the action of the noise reduction on this effect. Right now, the noise reduction has no effect, we'll make so the noise reduction also reduce this effect."

That was on May 2nd, so I'm patiently waiting for the next update, until then I replaced VTM with Reelbus and Ferox. Love'em!

BTW, you can check my sound examples and replies from Fabrice here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566...9088689668716/

The thing is, I don't know how accurate the modeling is on the VTM emulation, i'm assuming it's 99% accurate, since i've always thought of Steven's/Fabrice's plugins as being second-to-none, but I wonder if Fabrice could take a look at what part of the emulation is responsible for this overt ugly behavior and give us an option to dial it back to nill/nuda/zilch/nought/none, similar to how Steven has identified certain undesirable characteristics of hardware he's emulated and modified the algos to avoid them, as in the spiel from Steven's website where he says of the "FG-GREY" bus compressor... "We did a small MOD to the circuit in our virtual model which I think you'll really enjoy. We took the classic British discrete transformer and added some of the characteristics to the signal path. This does something very amazing to the clarity of the midrange and bottom end. The hardware unit tends to start sucking out too much bottom as you start to compress more. It can also get slightly 'choked' in the mids. These are subtle issues but the transformer stage keeps the bottom big and round and the midrange more open, while still retaining the classic sound of the hardware unit.

See, that's what i'm saying, and i'm hoping Steve will accept that this grungy, fluttery overhang resulting from VTM is not really desirable, because in many instances it isn't, all it's doing is f_cking with the clean tight punch of my kickdrum and turning it into mush and making the kick loose and ugly. I'm hoping an option to just remove this characteristic will be forthcoming, or that Fabrice will do a MOD to give us B-Mode where everything stays the same but the gross grungy overhang is left out of the algo.

Respect to Steve and Fabrice always for their plugins, the first plugins ever to truly give us analog in the digital domain.

Steve, if you ever read this, I hope you will take the opportunity to track-down a "JH24 MCI 2 Inch Tape Machine 24 track", because I guarantee you the sound is sublime, you'll be pleasantly surprised if you hear it, clean beautiful Tape vibe and saturation with no undesirable anomalies or quirkiness, it is something special. I know all Tape is something special, but this one would have to be the bomb, just heavenly and very balanced in it's treatment of the audio spectrum. To have the JH24 as part of VTM would be a dream come true and would definitely make VTM the last word in Tape plugins.

PS: waiting patiently for the day when Steve gives us an LA2A emulation with - Vintage old/Vintage new/Modern old/Modern new - modes. Once we have that, plus a 99% accuarte emulation of the 670 Holy Grail compressor, surely Steve and Fabrice would have to be injected into the music-tech hall-of-fame. I know of no other emulations as accurate or as good as Steve's/Fabrice's, that's my opinion and i'm standing by it till the day I die, not even UAD floats my boat.
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
The thing is, I don't know how accurate the modeling is on the VTM emulation, i'm assuming it's 99% accurate, since i've always thought of Steven's/Fabrice's plugins as being second-to-none, but I wonder if Fabrice could take a look at what part of the emulation is responsible for this overt ugly behavior and give us an option to dial it back to nill/nuda/zilch/nought/none, similar to how Steven has identified certain undesirable characteristics of hardware he's emulated and modified the algos to avoid them, as in the spiel from Steven's website where he says of the "FG-GREY" bus compressor... "We did a small MOD to the circuit in our virtual model which I think you'll really enjoy. We took the classic British discrete transformer and added some of the characteristics to the signal path. This does something very amazing to the clarity of the midrange and bottom end. The hardware unit tends to start sucking out too much bottom as you start to compress more. It can also get slightly 'choked' in the mids. These are subtle issues but the transformer stage keeps the bottom big and round and the midrange more open, while still retaining the classic sound of the hardware unit.

See, that's what i'm saying, and i'm hoping Steve will accept that this grungy, fluttery overhang resulting from VTM is not really desirable, because in many instances it isn't, all it's doing is f_cking with the clean tight punch of my kickdrum and turning it into mush and making the kick loose and ugly. I'm hoping an option to just remove this characteristic will be forthcoming, or that Fabrice will do a MOD to give us B-Mode where everything stays the same but the gross grungy overhang is left out of the algo.

Respect to Steve and Fabrice always for their plugins, the first plugins ever to truly give us analog in the digital domain.

Steve, if you ever read this, I hope you will take the opportunity to track-down a "JH24 MCI 2 Inch Tape Machine 24 track", because I guarantee you the sound is sublime, you'll be pleasantly surprised if you hear it, clean beautiful Tape vibe and saturation with no undesirable anomalies or quirkiness, it is something special. I know all Tape is something special, but this one would have to be the bomb, just heavenly and very balanced in it's treatment of the audio spectrum. To have the JH24 as part of VTM would be a dream come true and would definitely make VTM the last word in Tape plugins.

PS: waiting patiently for the day when Steve gives us an LA2A emulation with - Vintage old/Vintage new/Modern old/Modern new - modes. Once we have that, plus a 99% accuarte emulation of the 670 Holy Grail compressor, surely Steve and Fabrice would have to be injected into the music-tech hall-of-fame. I know of no other emulations as accurate or as good as Steve's/Fabrice's, that's my opinion and i'm standing by it till the day I die, not even UAD floats my boat.
The more you write, the more you show how much you don't know what you're talking about.
The emulations are what they are. What you prefer means nothing to anyone but you.
Old 31st July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecandy View Post
The more you write, the more you show how much you don't know what you're talking about.
The emulations are what they are. What you prefer means nothing to anyone but you.
You'll need more than cheapshots to unseat the facts. You UAD fanboys are so predicable, always the first to get your goat up when someone doesn't worship UAD. You'll need to accept that Slates plugins are the most accurate in the world, whether you're in denial or not makes no difference to me, it's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of emulation accuracy or a mod thereof to improve on the original hardware. Steve and Fabrice have cornered the market, which has happened as a result of them giving us the most accurate emulations on the market without busting our balls to pay for it
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll need more than cheapshots to unseat the facts. You UAD fanboys are so predicable, always the first to get your goat up when someone doesn't worship UAD. You'll need to accept that Slates plugins are the most accurate in the world, whether you're in denial or not makes no difference to me, it's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of emulation accuracy or a mod thereof to improve on the original hardware. Steve and Fabrice have cornered the market, which has happened as a result of them giving us the most accurate emulations on the market without busting our balls to pay for it
You started this thread about your VTM issue and suddenly you are going call people here Uad fanboys etc. Peace man, we love Steven Slate here as we love UA and many other manufactures.
Old 31st July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
You started this thread about your VTM issue and suddenly you are going call people here Uad fanboys etc. Peace man, we love Steven Slate here as we love UA and many other manufactures.
I don't give a crap about other manufacturers. I'm not here to generalize.

And too many UAD fanboys over the years, looking down their noses at other producers too, i've seen it all in the forums over the years, UAD fanboys getting their knickers in a twist whenever anyone dared to repudiate or question UAD plugins.

But now Steven has given us the goods without need for a DSP card, and he gave us his plugins at an affordable price, so Steven should be given a music-tech gold medal for his innovation and pioneering endeavors, I absolutely insist that he be given special recognition for his brilliant work and approach to his plugins, he has changed the audio world for the better, a monumental achievement, and he never gets complacent, that's what's so good about him.

FTR, I don't give a sh_t about UAD, this company is a rip-off, and always has been, but that's it isn't it, a has been. UAD charged too much imo, WAY TOO MUCH, and their products have inefficient coding because their plugins demand a dedicated DSP card, just laughable. Slate's code is extremely accurate and we can run many of them with hardly any hit to the CPU, and to the extent that seasoned golden-ears and esteemed mastering engineers can't tell the difference between the hardware and Slate's plugins in a blind listening test, therefore Steven did the music world a big favour with his quality emulations and reasonable prices, this is what we call a trailblazer, and Steven with Fabrice did it, gave us the audio plugin ammunition, no ifs, buts or maybes.
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't give a crap about other manufacturers. I'm not here to generalize.

And too many UAD fanboys over the years, looking down their noses at other producers too, i've seen it all in the forums over the years, UAD fanboys getting their knickers in a twist whenever anyone dared to repudiate or question UAD plugins.

But now Steven has given us the goods without need for a DSP card, and he gave us his plugins at an affordable price, so Steven should be given a music-tech gold medal for his innovation and pioneering endeavors, I absolutely insist that he be given special recognition for his brilliant work and approach to his plugins, he has changed the audio world for the better, a monumental achievement, and he never gets complacent, that's what's so good about him.

FTR, I don't give a sh_t about UAD, this company is a rip-off, and always has been, but that's it isn't it, a has been. UAD charged too much imo, WAY TOO MUCH, and their products have inefficient coding because their plugins demand a dedicated DSP card, just laughable. Slate's code is extremely accurate and we can run many of them with hardly any hit to the CPU, and to the extent that seasoned golden-ears and esteemed mastering engineers can't tell the difference between the hardware and Slate's plugins in a blind listening test, therefore Steven did the music world a big favour with his quality emulations and reasonable prices, this is what we call a trailblazer, and Steven with Fabrice did it, gave us the audio plugin ammunition, no ifs, buts or maybes.
Steven is a real gentleman and a clever and great manufacture without any doubt.
But the only fan-boy here is you, in your own auto sabotaged thread.
You started a thread about an issue and then many people (including myself) pay attention in your problem. Then, without anyone provoke you, you turn this thread to a UAD-HATE thread. Shame on you.
Old 31st July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Steven is a real gentleman and a clever and great manufacture without any doubt.
But the only fan-boy here is you, in your own auto sabotaged thread.
You started a thread about an issue and then many people (including myself) pay attention in your problem. Then, without anyone provoke you, you turn this thread to a UAD-HATE thread. Shame on you.

I am indeed a fanboy of Slate's plugins, and not ashamed of it.

Now do you have UAD plugins? Give us the answer!! I already know the answer. Shame on you Lol .
Old 21st October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi Foley, no worries man just hit up support and they'll have you send the file and figure out what's up. All good here.

Cheers,
Steven
Hello! I have also strange issue with slate plugins. I'm using Reaper. When I add any slate plugin on master buss it does some kind of gate or whatever it sounds weird. However if I use it in any track it doesn't do. Just on master.

listen to the samples:

it does any slate plugin. In this case I used VMR but left it empty.
Attached Files

clap_with_slate_on_master.mp3 (142.9 KB, 630 views)

clap_without_slate_on_master.mp3 (142.9 KB, 585 views)

Old 27th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Did the slate VTM's pre-ringing problem ever get fixed?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search